Metal Slug is an overall meh series with two (three?) great games

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
Has 3 always been shit on to the extent it is now? It feels like it gets more shit now than in the past. The difficulty complaints seem like more of a skill issue to me than anything else

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
Has 3 always been shit on to the extent it is now? It feels like it gets more shit now than in the past. The difficulty complaints seem like more of a skill issue to me than anything else
I remember it being very revered.

Wasn't there a game journalist who gave it a bad review and then posted here and got eviscerated?

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
No. It has caught on over time. This is the best explanation I've seen:

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
You don't seem to be very familiar with history so I'll allow that. Ignorance is a blessing :geek:

Mengele and other high-profile nazis lived in Brazil for decades following the war. You're right. There's no connection.

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
No. It has caught on over time. This is the best explanation I've seen:

Can you summarize or is there a part of the video to jump to? Don't feel up to watching a 2 hour video.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
I think it’s just too fecking long which makes it a ballache to replay and enjoy

4 > 3

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Most series would get on their hands and knees and thank Jeebus if they had the consistent relative quality of the Slug series. Even the "bad" ones are better than 90% of the Contra games released.

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
Most series would get on their hands and knees and thank Jeebus if they had the consistent relative quality of the Slug series. Even the "bad" ones are better than 90% of the Contra games released.
Right now I have more hope that Operation Galuga will be good compared to Black Finger Jet. I'd love to be wrong.

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
Can you summarize or is there a part of the video to jump to? Don't feel up to watching a 2 hour video.
I watched through about half of stage 5 up to where you actually get on the space ship. Nothing new in his complaints that haven’t been heard elsewhere: enemies have too much health, doesn’t like zombies, doesn’t like stage 4 boss esp random yellow bullets, doesn’t like shmup sections, stage 5 too long, doesn’t like tone/cohesiveness of the game due to non-army guy enemies and alternate routes, doesn’t like that you don’t have vehicles or can’t hoard/use bombs for some bosses, etc.

I think most of the above boils down to “too hard” and pain in the ass to 1CC, frustration strats from earlier MS games don’t always work in this one.

I tend to take complaints from speed runner/1CC types with a massive grain of salt since their approach to games is often not how developers intended or how 99% of people will play the game. But I wouldn’t be surprised if those players drive most of current negative discourse since normies don’t really give a fuck about Metal Slug these days.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Contra 3 is a better game than any Metal Slug.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Yeah, it's a play through the whole game, but I usually get the gist of his vids by watching the beginning and then seeking around.

Basically the enemies are bullet sponges, and starting the game with that is particularly egregious, and the overlong game is a slog, but I don't want to put words in anyone's mouth.

You were completely right until the last sentence. Just subtract all the Western-developed Contra games over the years and you've found the good (decent-to-great) ones.

vaillian

King's Dry Cleaner
This.

The two shoot em up sections in MS3 are just a chore, just another way by the developers to squeeze the last quarters when the market was already saturated by vertical or horizontal scrolling shooters. I also miss all the small hills and uneven planes from MS1, in every sequel the overall level design got worse.

zinho

Kula's Candy
15 Year Member
I like all the side scrollers I think. Some are much better than others but 1-7, X, XX, 1st Mission, 2nd Mission, and Advance are all varying degrees of fun. 1 is still the best.
1 is the OG, 2 is cool, X is less than cool and 3 is way too long. I don’t acknowledge the others

konrad

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
For me the first metal slug game will always be special but following the line up to three I think they are very good games full of details etc.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
For a while there, a year or two ago, metal slug 3 genuine MVS carts from Mexico were hitting some pretty low prices, even as low as $70 USD. I'm glad I got one.

Reactions: wyo

KGRAMR

Another Striker
Contra 3 is a better game than any Metal Slug.
Well... for me, Contra 3 and Contra Hard Corps are the epitome entries in the Contra series. I also like Contra 4 but i can understand why it might not be everybody's cup of tea due to the dual screen setup.

I will always be a fan of Metal Slug 1, but i don't like how Nazca turned enemies into bullet sponges in later entries, particularly going into MS3.

Ilovejapangirls

Mature's Make-up Artist
For me, MS1 is the only real slug game. Made by Nazca and has a completely different feeling and overall balancing compared to every other game in the series.
Enemies are perfect satisfying pop corn until you get to midbosses/bosses ( as it should be, imho obviously).
The stages design i feel is much better too as it includes many slopes, hills and such ( other slug games tend to be much more linear).
Overall art direction is a lot more cohesive ( no arabs, aliens, whatever).

Funny thing is that the only MS game i have on AEP is actually Metal Slug 3 which is my least favorite of the original quadrilogy....it was just so cheap when I bought it that I could not miss that chance.I don't feel MS3 is too hard ( if you just go for 1cc and not hi score) since i have been playing that for more than 20 years, It is my least favorite mainly because it deviates SO much more than 2 and X , which already deviate, from the perfect formula of Ms1.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Simpsons moment, the shit outweighs the gold.

But those two games, jesus. Legendary.
The first three were great (but X isn't much different from 2).
3 was good, but an overly long last level. Doesn't really fit the MS formula (shorter levels, and where it's reasonable to 1cc the game).
Maybe they knew 1 was too easy (for an arcade game), so they made 2, X & 3 harder to beat on 1 credit.
You could even argue that 4 was (in some ways) better than 3.
5 & 6 are worse than 1-4.

Spoonman

Enemy Chaser
Metal Slug 3 is Nazca's swan song. I love the original, 2 is good, especially when playing it OC'd, X is great, but 3 is my favorite. I love that it has so much of everything. The branching forks, in the first four missions, add some nice replay options. If you could only own one Metal Slug Neo•Geo cart, MS3 is definitely it. You get the standard soldier enemies, the aliens, mummies, along with the awesome new zombies. (This was pre-zombie media burnout)... This did it for me. Perhaps the best weapon in any game! :)
MetalSlug-Zombie-600px.gif

VJP

New Challenger
Metal Slug 4 and 5 were a disappointment. I only played them briefly and then they went on the shelf where they will wait until I die.
I had the most fun with part 3, then 2 or X.