Metal Slug is an overall meh series with two (three?) great games

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Metal Slug 4 and 5 were a disappointment. I only played them briefly and then they went on the shelf where they will wait until I die.
I had the most fun with part 3, then 2 or X.
You could just sell them, you know, and buy good games?

VJP

New Challenger
You could just sell them, you know, and buy good games?
Luckily i have most of the good ones and am not dependent on the money/would miss them in my collection.
I don't really want to pay today's prices for the 2-3 games I'm still missing.😅

Sammy/SNK-FAN

New Challenger
I sadly never got to play Slug 1 or 2. Its too bad authentic cards are so insanely expensive.

I owned X, 3,4,5. I thought they were all fun, but my favorites are 4 and 5. I thought 3 had way too much going on for me.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
I sadly never got to play Slug 1 or 2. Its too bad authentic cards are so insanely expensive.

I owned X, 3,4,5. I thought they were all fun, but my favorites are 4 and 5. I thought 3 had way too much going on for me.
Very true, but I’m old school and wait until I have the carts to play the games. There is just something special about waiting to play them on actual hardware and a crt.
It's 28 years since slug 1 was released. You won't be old school, you'll be dead.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
lol old school
meaning I'll play games 35yrs later

Sammy/SNK-FAN

New Challenger
lol old school
meaning I'll play games 35yrs later
I am still playing old games, many that I’ve never played before.

For the record, I did have an AES back in 2002-2004. I bought Slug 4, 5, KOF 02, 03 new when they were released. I also spent many hours playing KOF02 and 03 in arcades in Japan when they were new (taught English in Nagasaki). 2000’s was still late for the Neo, but better late then never. Besides, I couldn’t afford the AES until I started teaching full time.