Metal Slug is an overall meh series with two (three?) great games

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
I've always felt this way. 1 is excellent, one of the best arcade games ever. 2 is fantastic, but obviously flawed. X is ... where it starts to fall apart. I really wish X was just 2.1 with the slow down fixed and that was it. 3 is honestly not even a good game IMO, but agreed absolutely beautiful art. 4 on I've hardly played at all because they just don't keep my interest.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
Slug 5 looks like it was really going to be something had they finished the game...
Can't really criticize the series.Theres good elements in all of them...
While 2 is my favorite,the series is a sh8tfest after the first one.Just not well planned and or rushed to capitalize on it's popularity..
PLEASE go pick on Galaxy Fight...
BB

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
Slug 5 could have been such an awesome send off if it was actually completed, because effort was clearly put onto it unlike, may allah forgive me for uttering it’s name, Metal Slug 4

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Dolphin Blue was the best Metal Slug game after the original.
Dolphin Blue sucks.

Same with Demon Front. People complain about MS3 but praise that all the time. It's just as bloated and tedious.

Last edited:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I’d honestly say 2 or 3 good games is enough to make a series legendary.
Two or three out of four is pretty fucking good. Even if you count MS4 and 5, and I don't know why you would, that's still not bad at all. There are very few game series that can count half their entries as great.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Yes. I'm not discounting the accomplishments. As a body of work I can respect that. But it made me realize all we do when we talk about Slug is either how great it is or how bad it is. I thought, wait, the only time we say something good about it is when we talk about the first two games.

Then I realized, shit, Slug is like The Simpsons. It was the best at what it is in its early days (and we can all agree that's an understatement) but for a long time now it's just not good.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
It’s probably 1 then X then 2 then 4 then 3 then 5 for me.

And 5 is alright.

KGRAMR

Another Striker
Two or three out of four is pretty fucking good. Even if you count MS4 and 5, and I don't know why you would, that's still not bad at all. There are very few game series that can count half their entries as great.
Might be off-topic saying this but out of all the franchises i've played so far in my lifetime, i think F-Zero is one of the extremely few franchises where every entry (even the GBA ones) are considered good or even decent, but that's just from my perspective. You could argue about F-Zero 99 but even i have seen casuals and more dedicated players enjoying the game.

KGRAMR

Another Striker
Dolphin Blue sucks.

Same with Demon Front. People complain about MS3 but praise that all the time. It's just as bloated and tedious.
What personally kills my interest in MS3 is that enemies became such egregious bullet sponges that you really don't feel the special weapons are even scratching their health...

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
What personally kills my interest in MS3 is that enemies became such egregious bullet sponges that you really don't feel the special weapons are even scratching their health...
In arcade game design, there's a fine line between making a game fun, and keeping it profitable. In other words, setting the level of challenge can be a challenge.

Gladson

n00b
I suppose all Metal Slug games are great, but they're a bit too similar so those of us who started playing them since the first game out got a little tired after the 3rd one, hence the feeling of "not being so good" after that.

Players who started playing later on and had the first experience with MS with 4/5/6/7 probably enjoy them as much as the first ones.

That said, the first one will always be my favorite, I like the nazi fight more than the alien stuff that came later.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Metal Slug is an overall meh series with two (three?) great games?

No.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
Can you change that by lowering the msg level down to 2 or 3?

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I suppose all Metal Slug games are great, but they're a bit too similar so those of us who started playing them since the first game out got a little tired after the 3rd one, hence the feeling of "not being so good" after that.
:spock:
Players who started playing later on and had the first experience with MS with 4/5/6/7 probably enjoy them as much as the first ones.
:spock:

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
My favorite Metal Slug games are the NGPC ones.

X is still better than two, everything after 3 was mostly really mediocre