Final Fantasy XIV A Realm Reborn beta sign ups, Opening CG

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
I played...all...day. (awesome, but not healthy)

It's good. It's nice to look at. The grind is fun. Framerate only dipped with over twenty players on screen at times. I managed to get Lancer, Archer, Conjurer, Carpenter, and Leatherworker to level ten before I stopped for the night.

It's FFXI all over again, only more accessible to new players.

I wonder if beta progress will rollover to the full release? I doubt it.

Magician

20 Year Member
Alright, I have to stop playing the beta, I'm sold.

I'll be there day one when this goes live on PS4.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Alright, I have to stop playing the beta, I'm sold.

I'll be there day one when this goes live on PS4.

I told you.

I told you all.

BTW, your beta phase one progress won't save. But Phase Two can be carried over to final build.

Come to Excalibur. I'll get you in my shell and we'll have the good times.

Magician

20 Year Member
BTW, your beta phase one progress won't save. But Phase Two can be carried over to final build.

Are the schedules for the phases known at this time?

I'd like to play more, but I'd like my progess to carryover more so....

Edit: NM, I found it.

PS4 Phase 2: April 4th to April 7th.

And it's nice to know that all players (PC, PS3, and PS4) will be on the same servers.

I'm ready to dive in.

Last edited:

Magician

20 Year Member
Come to Excalibur. I'll get you in my shell and we'll have the good times.

Absolutely, although I doubt we'll be able to party up for awhile. I don't know if there're any restrictions on party member levels. Wasn't it within a couple or few levels of each other in FFXI? Still...I'll come to your server and entice my Warframe friends who're also buying FFXIV to come along.

I'm looking forward to rolling an Elezen Bard, get my support/dps on.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Absolutely, although I doubt we'll be able to party up for awhile. I don't know if there're any restrictions on party member levels. Wasn't it within a couple or few levels of each other in FFXI? Still...I'll come to your server and entice my Warframe friends who're also buying FFXIV to come along.

I'm looking forward to rolling an Elezen Bard, get my support/dps on.

I wouldn't be able to bring my main with you for guildleves, but I could easily crush any open world quests that you need help with.

Also, for instances the level will scale. So even though I have all the Disciples of War and Disciples of Magic at 50, and have at least Darklight gear and primal weapons for all of them except DRG (working on the gear), it will bring me down to whatever level you are. As long as I'm on and not already involved in some instance and you need a hand, call on me.

BRD is amazing DPS. With the right gear and accessories, you can dish some sick damage on that job. And you can do it on the move too, unlike BLM and SMN which have to stay put to cast spells.

Magician

20 Year Member
I hope Amazon will offer a digital version of the time cards.

There's no way in hell I'm giving S-E my cc info.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member

I gave it to them for 5 years with FF XI and now for 3 years between XIV 1.0 and ARR. I'm not worried, but do what makes you feel best:)

saner

Krauser's Henchman

This the time card you are talking about?

http://www.amazon.com/Final-Fantasy-XIV-Reborn-Playstation-3/dp/B00GOOSORM

Not sure if they email the code besides deliver the physical card, I'm not an online shopper
(though I did get Japanese PSN card from Play Asia once, they emailed the code).

Yes, I wouldn't trust SE Store for anything. Even PSN it's risky using CC, good thing retail stores sell PSN Cards.
I haven't called local game stores, but they might have FFXIV ARR 60 day time cards in. The North America time cards announcement was like a month ago, so maybe they are getting them in regularly now.

Ultimate Game Cards are supported too. That's what I use.

Magician

20 Year Member

Close, but not quite. That is indeed a time card for 60 days on FFXIV ARR, but it's the physical card. I'm hoping there's a digital card I can purchase, something that can be redeemed immediately, without having to wait for delivery. Like PSN digital codes you can purchase from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/50-PlayStatio...8&qid=1393611952&sr=1-1&keywords=psn+$50+card

Magician

20 Year Member
Well, PS4 beta phase 2 is near its end.

I powered through it, gaining access to Grand Companies and my chocobo over the weekend.

I want more.

Magician

20 Year Member
Alright, my early access is lined up, I'm ready to spend an unhealthy amount of time in Eorzea. I'm sorry Taiso...but the Excalibur server wasn't open to new players during PS4's beta phase 2. I'll be beginning my adventure on Brynhildr. Depending on how much I enjoy the game I may (or may not) be looking to begin my own free company.

Friday morning...it starts. I'll probably be MIA from the boards for a couple weeks.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Sorry to hear it. Enjoy the game anyway, sir.

One thing I don't get, thought:

The game was free on PS4 but still tells me I need to enter a registration key to use the product.

I understand that they expect the monthly fee. That is evident. Not really sure why they would offer the client for free but not let you use it without a registration key...which costs money.

Like, if the client is free...why can't I just load it up and enter my existing account information?

Magician

20 Year Member
Sorry to hear it. Enjoy the game anyway, sir.

One thing I don't get, thought:

The game was free on PS4 but still tells me I need to enter a registration key to use the product.

I understand that they expect the monthly fee. That is evident. Not really sure why they would offer the client for free but not let you use it without a registration key...which costs money.

Like, if the client is free...why can't I just load it up and enter my existing account information?

To my knowledge the PS4 version isn't free, as far as I know the PS4 standard version is $40.

Unless you're converting from the PS3 to the PS4 it may be free? But I'm not sure about that.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
To my knowledge the PS4 version isn't free, as far as I know the PS4 standard version is $40.

Unless you're converting from the PS3 to the PS4 it may be free? But I'm not sure about that.

If you go on PSN and look at it, it's listed as a free download but when I tried to load the client, it told me i need to enter a registration key. No big shakes, I was planning on buying a physical copy for PS4 anyway, but I'm still confused about how it's supposed to work.

If you play on PS4, can you also access your same account from the PC version?

I'm planning to give this a try, but my fear is that I'll get sucked in and then wish I could play on PC if I'm more serious about it down the road.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
If you play on PS4, can you also access your same account from the PC version?

I'm planning to give this a try, but my fear is that I'll get sucked in and then wish I could play on PC if I'm more serious about it down the road.

You should be able to log in to your account from any system that runs FF XIV. My friend alternately plays on PC and PS3, although the PC build is superior. This should still work with the PS4 version as well.

Magician

20 Year Member
If you go on PSN and look at it, it's listed as a free download but when I tried to load the client, it told me i need to enter a registration key. No big shakes, I was planning on buying a physical copy for PS4 anyway, but I'm still confused about how it's supposed to work.

Hmm, then I believe what you see currently available on PSN is the client download for early access PS4 players. That's why it asked you for a registration key rather than redirecting you to the Mog Station. It's the same client that was used for beta phase 2, so of course everyone has access to that (even though it's technically offline at this time). I'd assume you'll see that "free" download button change to a "$39.99" button when the game goes full release on Monday.

Last edited:

Magician

20 Year Member
Woooooough!

So over the past couple weeks I must've put well over 100+ hours into this. All of my classes are level 20+, with a few in their 30's. I've really enjoyed my time in FFXIV ARR and I'll continue to do so until the sub runs out. Unfortunately, I don't believe I'll commit any additional time after that.

I'm a lone wolf, the endgame content here isn't conducive to my playstyle. I don't appreciate the fact that a free company requires three people to get going. Without a free company membership I don't have access to company housing. Perhaps that'll change once personal housing becomes available?

Still...great game.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
I hit the 'endgame wall' myself with this and stopped playing. It's not permanent, but I have absolutely no desire to log in right now, and don't know when I will.

I hit the same wall with XI, as well. I started to look at all the pimp gear that everyone else was getting and I got greedy for it. I went through it all in XI: Sky, Dynamis, Sea...all of it. I poured contless hours into endgame to get a chance at a decent drop. Once I got it, I felt no accomplishment. What was the point of getting it? To be better geared for...what?

To do it all again for another piece of gear.

I decided I didn't want to deal with all of the frustrations that go with endgame: the elitism, the impatience, the long, long hours, the futility of finding a good group.

I think that when I return to the game, I'm going to be a 'retired' adventurer. I'll be focusing on building up my crafting skills and leaving all the loot chasing to everyone else. And every once in a while, I might throw on the armor and weapons to help people do some things in game when they really need my PLD or MNK.

There's no denying that there's a ton to do in this game, and the PS4 build is amazing. But I am having a lot of fun playing other games right now, games that don't have that post game frustration factor.

Still, S-E has done a great job restoring this game and, I believe, the name of Final Fantasy. This is a great first step. Let's hope they don't fuck it up all over again with XV.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
You would think after all these years someone would build an expansion pack or maybe in the core game a "retired" player camp. Maybe have you set up shop and have a different skill tree among other things. Just a thought.

cannonball

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
So i'm finally ready to take the plunge back into this game and I look this thread up and Taiso quit :(

Taiso: I'm going to make a new S-E account and start over completely, so let me know what server you're on in case you do come back.

magician: you too

Last edited:

Magician

20 Year Member
:)

Sorry cannonball, I won't be coming back to FFXIV. FFXIV was one of the best gaming experiences I've had this year, but I didn't love it enough to commit additional time beyond the free 30 days. Warframe, Diablo III, and Destiny will be at the core of my free time until the onslaught of amazing games arrive next year. Evolve, The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, Batman: Arkham Knight, Xenoblade Chronicles, The Division, Dying Light, Let It Die, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, No Man's Sky (?), Cyberpunk 2077 (?)...and those are just what I'm thinking of off the top of my head.

cannonball

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
:)

Sorry cannonball, I won't be coming back to FFXIV. FFXIV was one of the best gaming experiences I've had this year, but I didn't love it enough to commit additional time beyond the free 30 days. Warframe, Diablo III, and Destiny will be at the core of my free time until the onslaught of amazing games arrive next year. Evolve, The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, Batman: Arkham Knight, Xenoblade Chronicles, The Division, Dying Light, Let It Die, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, No Man's Sky (?), Cyberpunk 2077 (?)...and those are just what I'm thinking of off the top of my head.

No worries man. I understand the time commitment involved in long term FF online games. It's not easy to do anything else haha.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
So i'm finally ready to take the plunge back into this game and I look this thread up and Taiso quit :(

Taiso: I'm going to make a new S-E account and start over completely, so let me know what server you're on in case you do come back.

magician: you too

Wait, what?

I didn't quit. I'm still alive and kicking on the Excalibur server. In fact, I think I've been posting in the Gaming Update threads weekly that I'm still playing, so um yeah...not sure what's up with that:D

Main name: Taiso Vandeross
Alt name: Kcocshmat Mclargehuge