Windows XP Service Pack 2?

evo7_31

Geese's Thug
Am downloading it right now - anyone else already using it?

What's really new about this update?

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
Supposedly they've added lots of security features and that kind of thing. I've noticed that whenever a program asks to be connected to the internet, windows always checks with you to make sure it's legit, which is good I guess. What is annoying is that windows xp says that my virus protection status is unknown. I'm running Norton, which I wouldn't think would be all that exotic ... :rolleyes:

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
galfordo said:
Supposedly they've added lots of security features and that kind of thing. I've noticed that whenever a program asks to be connected to the internet, windows always checks with you to make sure it's legit, which is good I guess. What is annoying is that windows xp says that my virus protection status is unknown. I'm running Norton, which I wouldn't think would be all that exotic ... :rolleyes:

Microsoft doesn't want to play nice with Symantec or Network Associates. They are planning (big surprise) their own anti-virus solution in the near future and have built the panel with their software in mind. Of course I have a slightly biased opinion on this matter, but I don't think MS will have much luck in the security sector. I mean, it's not like they've done a good job so far proving to us they know the first thing about security. ;) What corporation is going to trust a built in MS anti-virus and firewall?

evo7_31

Geese's Thug
Hmm...

I read that the Windows Firewall is now turned on by default - is that the only change to this feature (it used to be off by default, I suppose...?).

This doesn't seem to be as radical an upgrade as SP1 was, it appears.

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
nruva said:
Microsoft doesn't want to play nice with Symantec or Network Associates. They are planning (big surprise) their own anti-virus solution in the near future and have built the panel with their software in mind. Of course I have a slightly biased opinion on this matter, but I don't think MS will have much luck in the security sector. I mean, it's not like they've done a good job so far proving to us they know the first thing about security. ;) What corporation is going to trust a built in MS anti-virus and firewall?

Good grief .... these guys are waaaayyy out of control. I fear the day when companies no longer even bother to do battle with M$, and the lack of competition brings us back to the days of windows '98 .... :oh_no:

I hope you're right about companies not trusting MS to run their anti-virus software.

Logicdustbin

Sieger's Squire
I did a fresh install of XP with slipstreamed SP2, it only bitched about anti-virus untill I got it installed (NSW2004) and updated, then XP seemed to be happy.

Only problems so-far; I still get an anoying pop-up (task bar) telling me to turn on the automatic update (I don't like it to do that).

and my computer seems to run really slow now; how-ever, I did the install on a smaller/older HD. Programs seem to start up pretty slow, but run fine after they load up.

Buro Destruct

Formerly known as, Buro Destruct, , Southtown Stre
evo7_31 said:
Windows XP Service Pack 2??
Will ruin your computer?

I don't download any Service Packs or Critical Updates (save for the mblaster worm fix). I don't use any anti-virus or firewall programs.

I'm also the most virus and problem free computer owner I know.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Sounds like just another patch to me. Umm isn't time for MS to make a entirely new Windows program? :shame:

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
Tron 2.0 said:
Sounds like just another patch to me. Umm isn't time for MS to make a entirely new Windows program? :shame:

It usually takes them about 3-4 years of patching before they finally get the OS working right and have it somewhat secure. When the happens, they immediately release a newer, broken-ass OS so that hackers will have a fresh M$ product to rape and exploit.

slerch666

updyke,
I've used SP 2 since they had release candidate 2 available.

The reason Norton doesn't show up in your security center is because MS created a new protocol or some shit so it can better communicate with anti-virus stuff. Norton and McAffee have updates coming, or already have them available to 'fix' this problem. They've known about it for a while, so you would have thought their updates would have happened before now...

Anyone running XP, I recommend you get SP2.

IoriYagami n8

Genjuro's Frog
There is quite a bit to SP2 that is great, with a few problems that didn't get any attention. Internet Explorer is a bit faster now. The MS pop-up blocker is quite effective and allows you to easily disable it for select sites. I run nortons as well, and all I had to do was go under the MS security thing that pops up and tell it that I use my own seperate software, and it stopped annoying me. I don't have any problems with it popping up telling me to update or any of that nonsense now. I don't remember exactly how I went through all that, but if you look around I'm sure you can find a posting somewhere on the net that detailed how to setup SP2 so that it was more acceptable of other software as well as less automated.

Another thing I liked was the addition of a web browser Add-Ons management utility. You can find that under the Tools menu in IE. It allows you to check all the browser add-ons and what they are related to, as sometimes sites can sneak them onto your computer. Makes it easy to uninstall crap you don't need. The basic Add/Remove program listing tends to manage faster as well. Those are just some of the things I have noticed myself, there is more that I have heard of but don't recall off hand.

slerch666

updyke,
You can actually read about ALL of the changes here.

Lots of information there, if you actually care.

And IoriYagami n8- with the features they've added, they are just now catching up to the real browser greats, like Mozilla. Mozilla has had those features for quite some time, which is why I stopped using IE. I've found that the FireFox browser kicks all kinds of ass.

Hikaru Ichijyo

Thundercock,
I read somewhere that the latest service pack has caused some games to play funny or go outright haywire. Anyone have any issues with any games they've played since downloading it?

slerch666

updyke,
Hikaru Ichijyo said:
I read somewhere that the latest service pack has caused some games to play funny or go outright haywire. Anyone have any issues with any games they've played since downloading it?
I don't play PC games anymore, so I can't help with that one. And when I do fire up a PC game, it's an old ass DOS parser based or mouse based game (mostly old Sierra adventure games).

evo7_31

Geese's Thug
slerch666 said:
And when I do fire up a PC game, it's an old ass DOS parser based or mouse based game (mostly old Sierra adventure games).

Or an emu :glee:

lemonflav

Windjammers Wonder
20 Year Member
After 3o minute download and and hour install all seems good.

That security center annoyed me so I turned all the shit off.

I use POW, so I don't care for the built in pop-up blocker.

Does anyone know if added more/updated drivers for stuff with this service pack?

Mawdsley

Belnar Institute Student
Im have been running this at work as a test before we role it out, to see what problems might arise.

For those who are interested Microsoft have a web page that lists programs that will not work entirely under SP2. If a program you run is listed, i'd suggest going to the developers website, as its likely to be a top priority for them sort it.

Norton has some issues with the security center, but these are well known and symantec has a good web page about SP2 and its quirks with symantec software.

Last edited:

Logicdustbin

Sieger's Squire
Hikaru Ichijyo said:

A lot of people were complaining about this, apparently M$ made a list of games that might not work, UT2004 was apparenlty on it, but I have been running the game just fine (although the load screens take a little longer to load)

Mawdsley

Belnar Institute Student
Buro Destruct said:
Will ruin your computer?

I don't download any Service Packs or Critical Updates (save for the mblaster worm fix). I don't use any anti-virus or firewall programs.

I'm also the most virus and problem free computer owner I know.
You dont know many ppl then do you? :oh_no:

Pink Spider

Beast Buster
My start up and shut downs seem slower now.
Also I'm running XP Professional and used to get the XP Pro boot up screen, now I get the normal XP boot screen.