Will a Japanese remote allow me to play Region 2 DVDs on my American Xbox?

Neon_Sonic

Setsuna's Owl Keeper
I was looking at the listing for the original Xbox remote on Amazon (because I was thinking about selling mine) and a review mentioned that the DVD region is tied to the remote. So, if I were to buy a Japanese remote for the original Xbox (like the one here, would I be able to play Japanese (Region 2) DVDs on my American Xbox? I don't know that I would want to shell out the money for a second remote since my DVD player's region can already be reset, but I was just wondering.

Edit: On a related note, is there currently any way to play Japanese DVDs/HD-DVDs on the Xbox 360? Would it require a modchip? Is there even an Xbox 360 modchip yet??

Fox1

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy,
20 Year Member
Neon_Sonic said:
I was looking at the listing for the original Xbox remote on Amazon (because I was thinking about selling mine) and a review mentioned that the DVD region is tied to the remote. So, if I were to buy a Japanese remote for the original Xbox (like the one here, would I be able to play Japanese (Region 2) DVDs on my American Xbox? I don't know that I would want to shell out the money for a second remote since my DVD player's region can already be reset, but I was just wondering.

Edit: On a related note, is there currently any way to play Japanese DVDs/HD-DVDs on the Xbox 360? Would it require a modchip? Is there even an Xbox 360 modchip yet??

HD-DVDs are region free