What's the most compact 1 slot MVS?

White Devil

Hardened Shock Trooper
What's the most compact 1 slot MVS and what's the Correct price range?
I saw a front loading one (MV1FS) for $89 shipped. Just wondering. This would fit in my living room entertainment center better than my 2-slot.

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
yes a MV1FZ is quite a bit smaller than a 2-Slot. I believe the smallest MVS is a MV1B

White Devil

Hardened Shock Trooper
yes a MV1FZ is quite a bit smaller than a 2-Slot. I believe the smallest MVS is a MV1B

What do you think good prices are for the two? I want to consolize one with component/s-video out and all that.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
The MV-1B doesn't have enough room to mount a lot of video connectors comfortably, but is freakishly small. An enclosed MV-1C is probably what you want. Xian Xi or shadowkn55 could hook you up.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
It depends on what you need. MV-1B is shorter, but wider and the cart is inserted horizontally. The MV-1C is a bit longer but narrower (fits inside an NES case) and the cart is inserted vertically. Any other Neo board will be bigger AFAIK.

Regards.

White Devil

Hardened Shock Trooper
It depends on what you need. MV-1B is shorter, but wider and the cart is inserted horizontally. The MV-1C is a bit longer but narrower (fits inside an NES case) and the cart is inserted vertically. Any other Neo board will be bigger AFAIK.

Regards.

Xian Xi has an awesome MV-1C tutorial,

the MV-1B front loads like a first gen NES, thats what i want, hmmm, but if that one is not recommended for a first timer than i should probably just go for the MV-1C

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
If space is the most important consideration then I'd choose an MV-1B, personally. As long as you plan when you're going to place things (such as connectors etc.), I think it should be fine. MV-1C will give you more space, though so it will be a little easier to get everything to fit in.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Xian Xi has an awesome MV-1C tutorial,

the MV-1B front loads like a first gen NES, thats what i want, hmmm, but if that one is not recommended for a first timer than i should probably just go for the MV-1C

Why you say they are not recommended for a first timer? the only thing harder is putting a UniBIOS, but it's the same on MV-1B and MV-1C. You just get a NeoBIOSMasta from NeoTurfMasta here in the forums or in his web site and install it. It's literally two cables to solder. If you use a different board, then putting hte UniBIOS is trivial since in all other boards the BIOS is socketed.

Regards.

White Devil

Hardened Shock Trooper
Why you say they are not recommended for a first timer? the only thing harder is putting a UniBIOS, but it's the same on MV-1B and MV-1C. You just get a NeoBIOSMasta from NeoTurfMasta here in the forums or in his web site and install it. It's literally two cables to solder. If you use a different board, then putting hte UniBIOS is trivial since in all other boards the BIOS is socketed.

Regards.

No one actually said it wasn't recommended for a 1st timer, I was saying that because if it's more compact it may require more skill.

kraquepype

Armored Scrum Object
+1 for the NeoBiosMasta. The MV1B is great once you get that. If you are using a supergun it'll work well, but has enough room to consolize if you want. I like the MV1FS because of the built in ports but its big.

kotter

n00b
I got the MV1b for a first time cmvs project and didn't have any trouble at all (I haven't installed the uni bios yet though, and I'm not sure I ever will).
The one thing I don't like about it is that it was hard to find placements for the outputs as some of these gents have mentioned already.

I'm outputting video and audio through a DIN plug but ended up putting it on the side (no room in the back), so when the scart cable is connected it sticks out a bit further on the side. Same thing with the PSU on the other side. The only other placement I can think of would be pointing upwards which would look a bit odd as well.
There's also little room for the wires to get through if you want to tap the signals from the bottom of the board.

Aside from that I love my 1B and if you were to make an enclosure you'd have plenty of options for plugs and connections.