What Manga are you reading?

herb

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
I started Berserk last weekend and am up to book 16. Shits getting crazy.

marktheshark

Morden's Lackey
Haven't really been reading much lately. I read a bit of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure a few days ago however. I'm planning to resume reading Houshin Engi since I'm already over halfway done with the series.

pepelegit

Pleasure Goal
Berserk and Black Lagoon are probably among my all time favourites, but lately I've been really enjoying Vinland Saga. It's the only one I'm actually buying as it gets released. Solid viking manga.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
When the hell Are they going to localize the Dragon Ball Super manga?

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
2861949c323bc54650bb650881597148.jpg

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
how is it?. i'm a huge akira fan, and will be reading domu as well.

Last edited:

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
how is it?. i'm a huge akira fan, and will be reading domu as well.

It's a helluva one-shot. I'd love to see more of Otomo's serialized works, collected into trades...and this one in particular made into a movie.

Domu at times, gave me the same feelings as seeing the Rush video 'subdivisions'for the 1st time-as a little kid-living through and trying to make sense of the early '80s.

It presents a side of early 80s Japan that still resonates today, as the tension, optimism, and rage all inclusive of living in a large scale housing project is timeless.

I read it like a book, quickly in one sitting...and then poured back over the hyper-detailed drawings.

Time well spent.

Last edited:

nintendospy

Crossed Swords Squire
20 Year Member
Re-reading Monster with the Perfect Editions VIZ started releasing last year. Just as amazing as it was the first time I read it years ago. I can't pick between Monster and 20th Century Boys as my favorite manga series.

It's got me looking for a copy of the R4 anime release, since VIZ abandoned it here in the US. :crying:

Ip Man

15 Year Member
thanks for that detailed and enthusiastic insight, wataru. now i'm really hyped for it.

Last edited:

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
I guess this is the best place to post this.

It's official: Bleach to release final chapter in two weeks (SJ will be on break next week). Thoughts?

Jon

bloodycelt

Chin's Bartender
I guess this is the best place to post this.

It's official: Bleach to release final chapter in two weeks (SJ will be on break next week). Thoughts?

Jon

I lost interest in Bleach when it devolved into a dick measuring contest.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Bumbled into a nice stack of them lately and it has been awhile. Found Black Magic, Dominion, made me go online to grab the four part Appleseed. I also located 2/3 of the Rumic Trilogy local so I went online couldn't find 2, but did get the other 2 rumic theater books, one of 4 remaining Ranma 1/2 I need, and also found one of the last 2 Lum (series of 8) I was missing, also one of the last 3 Golgo-13's I needed too (#7 eye of god.) And in this time period I found this like 3" thick Dororo Omnibus that's near a 1000 pages locally as well which is cool as I love Tezuka stuff.

Ip Man

15 Year Member
just finished reading domu by otomo. and have to say, as a huge akira fan, that i loved it. especially the action scenes reminded me of the fight scenes between kaneda and tetsuo.

like most manga artist/authors, otomo manages to create and capture an atmosphere unique to his vision of a metropolitan japan which gives the reader a nostalgic feeling of familiarity. you really appreciate the design of something simple as a block of flats looking down on street lights. just like akira, the atmosphere is what won me over.

as for the story, i thought it was ok. not the most exiting, but did it's job. i was a little disappointed that the back story of the antagonist wasn't revealed or clear enough to fully understand why he did what he did or how he was able to do what he did. but for me, domu and even akira isn't all about the story. it's about the world in which the story takes place in.

i have to thank wataru for recommending me to give this one a go. thanks again, dude. it really was a great read. when ever i'm in a akira mood but can't be bothered to sit through six volumes of it, i will jump back onto domu for my otomo fix.