What exactly is the use of a spine card? (And where does it go normally)

bloodycelt

Chin's Bartender
I've noticed a bunch of listings for Turbo CD games mentioning spine card status.

Is a spine card just a packing label thats on the exterior of the cd when its sealed? Is its relevance mostly like including the mail-in registration card or warranty card?

Thanks, I imagine this is a very n00b question.

Last edited:

BLEAGH

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
The spine card's only purpose is to inflate the price of the games you want to buy.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
It's a expensive piece of paper.

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
The spine card (aka Obi) is used as an "eye grabber" to catch the attention of potential buyers. If you're an OCD collector then you MUST HAVE the spine card (along with all other packaging) that comes with the game. A game isn't CIB without it.

If you don't care about collectability/resale value then don't sweat the spine card. When I'm looking for games I usually choose the ones that are missing the card since they're a little cheaper. I also sell my spine cards, since collectors pay retarded money for them so they can "complete" their games.

jtucci31

n00b
I always thought they looked kind of cool but I don't think I've ever gone out of my way or paid significantly more for a game because it had one. That's like the price of Rondo of Blood going up something stupid like $60 just because it has a spine card (that's not nearly as cool as some other ones out there).

julencin2000

Dodgeball Yakuza
For Saturn completenessers collectors there's Satakore database, where you find all those spines and papers and stuff:

GS-9079_1,,Sega-Saturn-Photo-1-Virtua-Fighter-2-JPN.jpg

http://www.satakore.com/sega-saturn-game,,GS-9079,,Virtua-Fighter-2-JPN.html

Some people say that the presence of a spine is a signal of "oh this game has been taken care of, the owner was a lover of details".

Some people say this is horseshit because it can be a frankensteiner with papers and reg cards and OBI and disc coming from different owners.

What is clear is it increases the buy/sell price.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
The spine card has the UPC on it. Without it the package is just the art. I prefer it like that.

julencin2000

Dodgeball Yakuza
Good point, yeah, the barcode.

As everything in life, there's a scale for games, from sealed graded to loose scratched stinking hairy carts.

Well ok, sealed games are a different category.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
It's a part of Japanese consumer culture.

They made a trial run in Europe and some PAL Mega-CD stuff also got an obi. Needles to say, this was very eccentric... and does anybody recall the extra holders japanese PS1 jewel cases came with? They were probably there for the manual, but could be excellently used to put obis in between.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Q: What is a spine card?
A: A piece of paper

Q: Where does it go normally?
A: On the spine

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
whats it for?

to protect the spine from sunfade.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
To light a beacon of hope for the printing media, against the whole digital revolution.

Last edited: