What anime are you watching?

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
I remember that being on Toonami, watched a couple episodes, figured "batman with a train mech" but never got into it. Decent story?

Hey whats up HornheaDD, the vibe of the show is definitely noire by way of Bruce Timm/Paul Dini's Batman animated series, and both shows share dna since it's the same animation studio. Regarding the story, reception to the show was always fairly mixed so check out the first 2 episodes to see if you dig it.

Big O is fucking awesome.

Hell yeah :buttrock::buttrock:

Is that on a streaming service? Always wanted to watch it. Loved the art style.

+1 Always loved the art and music in this series

We've been watching a box set that I own, but it appears to be available to stream from here:
https://vrv.co/series/GRJ0K573Y/The-Big-O

I think the last time I watched The Big O was in the summer of 2003. If I can remember correctly, the first season was ho-hum and the second season went full 'mInDfUcK' which was popular in a post-Eva world at the time.

What a ridiculous, cheap, and incredible opening it had, though.

That's fair lol Both the toonami and japanese openings were indeed footage-heavy. I always dug the japanese OP theme:

Last edited:

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
I just got done watching the Evangelion rebuild movies, the first three, 1.11, 2.22, and 3.33. The first two were great, but the third was a let down. It feels as if the entire movie was a cop out and justification to make the fourth, 3.0+1.0. Changing characters for no reason, a stupidly long time gap (14 years, cmon), new characters which have no development whatsoever, everyone hating Shinji for something he didn’t mean to do, no one explaining why they hate him after 14 years of being stuck inside Eva 01, Misato turning against Shinji even though she encouraged him to save Rei in the first place... I could go on. Genuinely, 3.0/3.33 was not good.

Edit: Also, I side with LoneSage on Berserk.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Thank you for this. Saying the Golden age arc is the best arc shows a low attention span and generic I couldnt be bothered to get my feet wet attitude towards berserk. Aside from the ship voyage and mer people its all great. Bunch of good apostles to fan over too. The world changes and becomes much more fantasy oriented. Which allows much more crazy over the top moments. Griffith being the end all be all and even he gets humbled a few times. The mangas way too good to brush off.

I didn't have a big problem with the mermaid island stuff but I will say that it was a letdown after the intensity of escaping the port of Vritannis. I felt as though Miura was trying to bridge the arrival at the faerie island with a sequence to establish the length of the journey but between the weird pirate apostle battle (which could have been so much cooler) and the island itself, it just didn't live up to the stuff before and after it.

It has one of my favorite sequences in the entire story, though. When Guts and Schierke are in the belly of the giant creature and its heartbeat is so loud that its pounding at Guts with maelstrom force and he has to walk through it to kill it. It,s a grueling sequence that really establishes the 'whatever it takes' ethos of humanity that Miura is continually establishing. Also, no matter how big this monster's heart is, Guts' desire to see Cascade healed at any cost is that much greater. This is heroic stuff, the kind of epic shit that most modern pussy tier manga and anime either doesn't do or doesn't know HOW to do. Most of it just comes off as edgy faggotry rather than bold action. The medium, storytelling in general, is either forgetting about the nobility and valor of sacrifice or actively undermines it as a new generation of limp wristed nancyboys create for a generation of fans that they are turning into worthless consumers of shit tier emo crap. How many ani-tubers clutched their pearls when Goblin Slayer's first episode aired or when the Shield Hero was falsely accused of rape by Myne?

There's this great scene in the Goblin Slayer Origin manga where GS is sort of criticized for being so simple and one track minded. His response is that people shouldn't underestimate those who live with a simple philosophy. He refers to 'that northern barbarian' as an example that everyone underestimated because he wasn't complicated. And he rose to greater heights than anyone since. It's clearly meta defense of GS as a premise but it's also an excellent argument. The only characters that rival Conan in the lexicon for notoriety and appeal are the LotR characters and Arthurian mythology, which I include here because they are a secular mythology and not originally a doctrine of religious worship.

These modern cucked soy fans need more REH in their lives. Period.

Last edited:

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I just got done watching the Evangelion rebuild movies, the first three, 1.11, 2.22, and 3.33. The first two were great, but the third was a let down. It feels as if the entire movie was a cop out and justification to make the fourth, 3.0+1.0. Changing characters for no reason, a stupidly long time gap (14 years, cmon), new characters which have no development whatsoever, everyone hating Shinji for something he didn’t mean to do, no one explaining why they hate him after 14 years of being stuck inside Eva 01, Misato turning against Shinji even though she encouraged him to save Rei in the first place... I could go on. Genuinely, 3.0/3.33 was not good.

Edit: Also, I side with LoneSage on Berserk.

I was also disappointed in 3.33. It was like all technobabble the entire time.

starting emotion engine!
Flux capacitor to full dorb units!
Steam Heat coming online!
THE ANGEL IS TAKING A SHIT NOW
Where are we with those MAGA covfefes?!
Unstable wormhole forming in Misato's ass!
Eva is waking up!
COMMENCE NUCLEAR WESSLES
I AM THE WALRUS
Ten points to Gryffindor!
UltraStenz on main screen!

It was very dumb.

GhostSeed

Angel's Love Slave
10 Year Member

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
All you need is Amon: The Apocalypse of Devilman.

That ending. Wow. Coincidentally two weeks ago out of the blue I downloaded the song. Libra vibe
libra vibes all around

I've never SEEN Devilman. But it's so me. Isn't that pretty libra of me? to just... know.......

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Mobile Suit Gundam: Hathaway (movie 1) supposedly releasing in Japanese theaters 5/7. Limited BD releasing in theaters showing the same day so this should be out there in the ether soon afterwards

The manga running in Ace that adapts the film indicates it's following the events of High Streamer/Beltorchika Children rather than the film Char's Counterattack. Since I'm essentially relearning my hiragana so that I can learn how to read manga, I don't know if Hathaway's nightmares are history as he remembers it or if he's remembering a different version that doesn't make sense to him. Ever since Gundam UC established that newtypes exist outside of the dimension of time, there could be more shenanigans with all of that. I do NOT expect a 100% faithful adaptation of Tomino's novels but at least they're getting back to Tomino rather than creating insulting 'adjunct' chapters to a story they had nothing to do with creating. As far as I'm concerned, only Yoshikazu Yasuhiko or Tomino himself have any right to do that. And no, IDGAF who owns it. DIsney may own Star Wara but they don't have the right to poison Lucas' vision, as flawed or as in need of 'updating' as it may be.

Three predictions for this film trilogy:

1.) Gigi will be a more powerful newtype than she was in the original story.
2.) The Unicorn and Banshee frames will be used to develop the Xi Gundam and the Peneoope.
3.) Hathaway's fate will be different.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
libra vibes all around

I've never SEEN Devilman. But it's so me. Isn't that pretty libra of me? to just... know.......
Watch Devilman Crybaby on netflix (I assume it's on netflix there). It's only 6 or so episodes, and it's a very good retelling/updating of the original comic. That's all you need and you can ignore everything else.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Watch Devilman Crybaby on netflix (I assume it's on netflix there). It's only 6 or so episodes, and it's a very good retelling/updating of the original comic. That's all you need and you can ignore everything else.
Hey there friend, I heavily disagree with ignoring everything else, thanks. The Amon OVA is still really something, even if it did go all DBZ in the last fight.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
im not going to watch some castrated computer animated netflix shit when theres perfectly good 90s OVAs to see

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Just finished watching Inuyashiki, Arslan Senki and Gantz. Gonna take a breather for a bit.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Hathaway delayed until 5/21. Makes me a little sad but after waiting a year due to the 'Roma, I can wait a few more weeks.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
im not going to watch some castrated computer animated netflix shit when theres perfectly good 90s OVAs to see
On your head be it. The animation is better and the story isn't catastrophically truncated. Crybaby captures the spirit of the original better.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I watched Amon a few hours ago in a drunken haze and it churned my stomach. After the demon straight up started eating a little girl alive I noped out.

I used to be able to handle this.