Viewpoint MVS problem

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
I just picked up a MVS copy of Viewpoint. And have been getting an error popping up on screen effectively freezing the game requiring a reset.

I'm running it on the latest Omega CMVS w/VMC. And it looks like it's an error message reported by the UniBIOS. It says

Exception error handling

Address Error

Address :0000A3F2
AC ADRS :0000A3F7
R/W :WRITE

D/A REGISTERS

D0:00000001
D1:00000058
D2:71FB53B4
D3:00000000
D4:F9000115
D5:0000FFFF
D6:175F00A0
D7:00000000

A0:00108DAA
A1:0000A3F6
A2:00108D92
A3:003C0000
A4:00108D3C
A5:00108D3C
A6:00108000
A7:0010F2F8

SSP:0010E1CC
SP:0000

Board matches the scans on MVS-scans. I see no damage to the board that's obvious.

I initially took out the boards and cleaned up the contacts w/iso alcohol. That lengthened the approximate time it took for the error to pop up. It's a bit random, but seems to more often than not happen during boss battles. That's probably just coincidence I'd imagine.

After the initial contact cleaning & the error still occuring I took the boards back out and fully cleaned them w/alcohol. Let it fully dry all day. Popped 'em back in and tested again. But it still does it... :crying:

This particular cart I got from Ash Burton, and he didn't have any issues with this cart. And he got it from Teddy KGB I believe. And I don't think Teddy mentioned any issues with it either.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Run a CRC check to see if the program rom(s) are good. Hit A+B+C on start up when you see the Unibios splash screen.

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
CRC check tells me

ID=0051 (is that the NGH cart #?)

ROM Region : 17AA899D OK
ROM Bank 0/1/2/3 : not used

So I guess it passes the CRC check if I'm understanding things right.

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
Forgot to mention Ash said he was running it in his 4 slot cab. Not sure if it's got a UniBIOS in it or not. No idea what Teddy runs his MVS carts on.

I'm kind of curious to know if the cart is having some small issue that wouldn't be a problem on a system with a stock BIOS. But on one with a UniBIOS the UniBIOS pulls up that error report screen effectively freezing the game?

Still, would really love to get this figured out and fixed. Love the damn game. Just wanna be able to play it.

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
Get Pink/White eraser. Erase the contacts--nice and clean. Try the game again.

If that doesn't fix it. Then try the cart in a buddies MVS. See if that works.

If that doesn't work. You can PM me, if you like.

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
The contacts didn't look bad at all when I got the cart.

My Omega is about 2 months old. Probably only 75 hours or less on it.

And I've cleaned the contacts well with alcohol 3 times already. I know it's not an eraser. But still...

And I know absolutely no one else with a Neo of any sort. Not AES, MVS, or CD. So I'm kinda SOL on trying it in another setup.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
MVS carts are always finnicky. Sometimes alcohol just doesn't cut it. I'd definitely take the time to clean it with an eraser and then alcohol again.

Also clean the cart slot itself to be safe.

Failing all that Tyranix was super helpful fixing a strikers cart for me this year, just FYI.

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
Guess I'm picking up an eraser tomorrow when I'm out...

And good methods for cleaning the cart slot? Aerosol electrical contact cleaner work good enough? Or something else work better that won't fubar the case of the Omega?

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
I usually just hit it with compressed air first, then take a credit card and paper towel, fold the paper towel over the edge of the card and dab it with alcohol, then insert that into the slot and remove it. Some people use a piece of cardboard about the same thickness as the cart pcbs and just put alcohol right on it. Then dry with compressed air and you should be good.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
I also agree that you should clean the contacts with an eraser. I've had carts look fine but not play properly where the solution was an eraser cleaning.

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
I'm no expertbut I do have a cmvs and some carts that need to be seated how they 'like' before working? my system is mounted vertical though so maybe that creates the issue?

some like to be IN or OUT more? some like to get tapped to the left or right? if I'm correct in assuming your Omega sits hori with your carts vertical maybe you're putting it in too far?

I've seen this suggested before too so its not my idea, you do see it less than clean everything though.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Don't use alcho to clean your slots, it won't clean anything. Use contact cleaner and a piece of cardboard. People need to stop using alcho as it doesn't do anything. It's just a step above spit.

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
I usually just hit it with compressed air first, then take a credit card and paper towel, fold the paper towel over the edge of the card and dab it with alcohol, then insert that into the slot and remove it. Some people use a piece of cardboard about the same thickness as the cart pcbs and just put alcohol right on it. Then dry with compressed air and you should be good.

Have you ever had an issue with the slot tearing up the paper towel & leaving pieces of the paper towel stuck in the slot?

Good thing I've got a lot of iso alcohol & an Ingersol Rand compressor...

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
The contacts didn't look bad at all when I got the cart.

My Omega is about 2 months old. Probably only 75 hours or less on it.

And I've cleaned the contacts well with alcohol 3 times already. I know it's not an eraser. But still...

And I know absolutely no one else with a Neo of any sort. Not AES, MVS, or CD. So I'm kinda SOL on trying it in another setup.

No worries. Try the eraser and see what happens.

Guess I'm picking up an eraser tomorrow when I'm out...

And good methods for cleaning the cart slot? Aerosol electrical contact cleaner work good enough? Or something else work better that won't fubar the case of the Omega?

Best way to clean a slot is with contact cleaner (either DeOxitDN5 or Rubbing Alcohol) and a club card or a thin piece or card board (like a USPS mailing box).

If you're using a club card, wrap it with a thin piece of cotton cloth, like a thin old shirt. (Paper towel tends to rip.) But if you're using a USPS mailing box, then do not wrap a cloth around it.

Get a cotton swap, wet it with cleaner. Dab the contacts on the slot as desired. (Do it this way because you don't want to drown the slot in cleaner.) Next, insert the club card, or the card board, like you're inserting a MVS cart. Do this a few times--until the cloth/board absorbs all the wetness--and the material removes dry. If the pins are still wet, use a different part of cloth/board. Keep inserting material until it removes clean and dry. Work your way down the slot from one end to the other. Any dirt you remove from the pins will be transferred to the cloth/board.

Make sure you clean both CRTG rows in the Slot.

And make sure the both CRTG rows are dry before you put a cart inside the unit and power it on.

Last edited:

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
Don't use alcho to clean your slots, it won't clean anything. Use contact cleaner and a piece of cardboard. People need to stop using alcho as it doesn't do anything. It's just a step above spit.

Alrighty then. I've got a can of CRC contact cleaner around here somewhere.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Here's an example of me cleaning a slot that the owner used alcho to clean. I use Deoxit-D5 to clean my slots. Whenever someone has a problem that's connection based I always tell them to clean the slots with contact cleaner and not alcho. This is what I get whenever I have to clean a supposedly "cleaned" system.

clean-right.jpg

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
I've not tried to clean the slot in the Omega yet. Figuring that it's still pretty brand new I didn't think it's an issue as none of my other carts have had any problems.

But I'll give it a go tomorrow. Have lots of USPS mailing boxes. And a nearly full can of CRC's electrical contact cleaner. Don't have Deoxit on hand at the moment. It was kinda low down the list of things to pick up as it wasn't something I really needed. Just something that might be nice to have on hand.

And it was the cart contacts I cleaned with iso alcohol. Paper towel with a lot of iso on it, then rubbed the contacts on the boards quite well. THey were a bit black after than, and the contacts looked all nice & shiny.

But tomorrow I'm gonna pick up an eraser. Give the cart a go with that & an alco rinse. Then give the cart slot a go while the cart is drying.

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
I've not tried to clean the slot in the Omega yet. Figuring that it's still pretty brand new I didn't think it's an issue as none of my other carts have had any problems.

But I'll give it a go tomorrow. Have lots of USPS mailing boxes. And a nearly full can of CRC's electrical contact cleaner. Don't have Deoxit on hand at the moment. It was kinda low down the list of things to pick up as it wasn't something I really needed. Just something that might be nice to have on hand.

And it was the cart contacts I cleaned with iso alcohol. Paper towel with a lot of iso on it, then rubbed the contacts on the boards quite well. THey were a bit black after than, and the contacts looked all nice & shiny.

But tomorrow I'm gonna pick up an eraser. Give the cart a go with that & an alco rinse. Then give the cart slot a go while the cart is drying.

Erase the cart contacts first. Then give it a try in the CMVS. See what happens.

I'd skip the slot cleaning if your other carts work fine in the CMVS. If the slot is the problem, then more than one cart will have a problem in the CMVS.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member

You need to remember that the Unit as a whole is brand new, the mobo iside isn't. As with the JNX, AI, Omega and other CMVS builders, the boards inside are used unless you specified you wanted a new board which would cost a lot more than normal. With that being said, I can not comment on their cleaning methods since I never asked but for my customers, I personally handwash each board to get rid of any gunk and residue then I clean the slots twice, once before testing and again before shipping out.

It's a good idea to clean your slots at least once a month and always use contact cleaner on your carts edge when ever you insert it into the system. The process of applying contact cleaner to every cart helps keep the slots clean and promotes connectivity between the cart and system.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Erase the cart contacts first. Then give it a try in the CMVS. See what happens.

I'd skip the slot cleaning if your other carts work fine in the CMVS. If the slot is the problem, then more than one cart will have a problem in the CMVS.

This. Sounds like the cart is the issue here, but if you could try the cart on another MVS, that would be good.

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,

The complete lack of problems on the nearly 40 other carts I've played was kinda my feeling that my problem isn't the CMVS slot, but the Viewpoint cart.

And will certainly give the eraser a shot first before going after the slot.

I wish the problem was a little more consistent with the timing of the error. Makes it harder to try to test out.

And interestingly enough I've left it on the "demo mode" for the last 90 minutes. No problem at all. I've yet to see it do this during the demo loop. It's only done it when I'm playing a game.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
The complete lack of problems on the nearly 40 other carts I've played was kinda my feeling that my problem isn't the CMVS slot, but the Viewpoint cart.

And will certainly give the eraser a shot first before going after the slot.

I wish the problem was a little more consistent with the timing of the error. Makes it harder to try to test out.

And interestingly enough I've left it on the "demo mode" for the last 90 minutes. No problem at all. I've yet to see it do this during the demo loop. It's only done it when I'm playing a game.

You always start on the cart level, eraser on the contacts(NEVER SANDPAPER). If you notice multiple carts with the same error then you move to slot cleaning. My replies are only focused on the slot cleaning portion of system maintenance.

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
You need to remember that the Unit as a whole is brand new, the mobo iside isn't. As with the JNX, AI, Omega and other CMVS builders, the boards inside are used unless you specified you wanted a new board which would cost a lot more than normal. With that being said, I can not comment on their cleaning methods since I never asked but for my customers, I personally handwash each board to get rid of any gunk and residue then I clean the slots twice, once before testing and again before shipping out.

I'd kinda wondered if the mobos in the Omegas, AIs, etc were new. Had figured they were as I've seen NOS MV-1C's around. Guess not. I've not popped my Omega open, but what I can see through the cart opening it's pretty clean looking.

But I have had a lot of different games in it in the last 2 months from many different people. So maybe it is time for a cleaning. Last game I had in it was FFS that I got from the Chinese kid. Maybe that cart gave my slot an STD... :lolz:

It's a good idea to clean your slots at least once a month and always use contact cleaner on your carts edge when ever you insert it into the system. The process of applying contact cleaner to every cart helps keep the slots clean and promotes connectivity between the cart and system.

Yeah, I'll admit to being too eager to play my new carts and them getting plugged in immediately after arrival. Looks like it's time to implement a cleaning routine for new carts before they get played. Not exactly my idea of fun. But if this is what happens with a dirty cart/slot then it's far from fun.