Video card Driver help

ZeroMJ

Amusaka's Lacky
I've been told in order for my new video card to work, i have to get rid of the current Intel Graphics Controller drivers in there now, but I'm not sure how. If anyone could tell me I'd appreciate i t.

Highlander67

Sultan of Slugs
Uninstalling the driver does not effect anything if you are running a new card into your system. Is this the same problem you were having before a week or two ago?

ZeroMJ

Amusaka's Lacky
you bet it is! Im cursed. Anyway, I've been told by a few people that I have to uninstal the Intel 82810E graphics drivers, than put in and instal the nvidia card. So i guess that isn't going to help me?

oh yeah by the way, I'm not doing this for no reason, i'm wanting to do this because of the display problems i am getting when i try to run the PC on the new card.(strange lines etc)

Last edited:

BlackSpy

Tsrgoihrea,
20 Year Member
What is your new card?

Uninstalling old drivers will indeed have an effect depending on what the old card was and what the new card is.

ZeroMJ

Amusaka's Lacky
My old card is an Intel 82810E Graphics Controller

My new card is the GeForce 4 MX440.

What can you tell me?

Highlander67

Sultan of Slugs
BlackSpy said:
What is your new card?

Uninstalling old drivers will indeed have an effect depending on what the old card was and what the new card is.

Installing the old drivers will have no effect on the new card even if the old card has a similar chipset to that of the new card. Any files that may have the same name are overwritten which eliminates the problem of mixing old files to new files.

It could very well be your mainboard that is having the problem with your new videocard. Typically it may be a power issue with the agp slot.

yOU SAID YOU WERE RUNNING AN HP computer right? Whats the model? Also what manufacturer makes your card?

Last edited:

BlackSpy

Tsrgoihrea,
20 Year Member
ZeroMJ said:
My old card is an Intel 82810E Graphics Controller

My new card is the GeForce 4 MX440.

What can you tell me?

I'm going to bed now, but I'd recommend you follow the installing drivers instructions very closely.

It may also be worth your while to dig around some NVidia fan sites for different drivers sets. You should find some fastest drivers and most stable drivers and all sort. Go for the most stable.

Make sure you have your old on board chipset disabled in the BIOS.

If you have ever mucked about with your BIOS, change it to 'fail safe default' if it has such an option. Once you have your new card working go back and do your fucking about again till it next falls over - then change that setting back.

Highlander - what have you ever seen that means you don't believe in driver conflicts?

Highlander67

Sultan of Slugs
BlackSpy said:
I'm going to bed now, but I'd recommend you follow the installing drivers instructions very closely.

It may also be worth your while to dig around some NVidia fan sites for different drivers sets. You should find some fastest drivers and most stable drivers and all sort. Go for the most stable.

Make sure you have your old on board chipset disabled in the BIOS.

If you have ever mucked about with your BIOS, change it to 'fail safe default' if it has such an option. Once you have your new card working go back and do your fucking about again till it next falls over - then change that setting back.

Highlander - what have you ever seen that means you don't believe in driver conflicts?

Driver conflicts usually only occur in similar components that are swapped out. As in an old nvidia card with a newer one, not a totally seperate chipset such as the intel to an nvidia chipset. THe problems he is having doesn't even describe a driver conflict at all. The main problem is that he is running a prebuilt machine such as an HP computer that has proprietary written all over it.

Usually machines of that nature have a basic motherboard that doesn't allow for alot of altering or installation of new cards such as a major one like a video card. Since the card is AGP, that also presents other problems such as if the AGP slot is fast enough such as 1X, 2X etc and power. The problem Zero was describing is exactly the problems that the old Geoforce cards were having when plugged into motherboards. Either it would be a graphical glitch or the card would simply reboot the machine. In either case, the drivers have no control over the the fact the card isn't simply working right.

ZeroMJ

Amusaka's Lacky
Highlander67 said:
Driver conflicts usually only occur in similar components that are swapped out. As in an old nvidia card with a newer one, not a totally seperate chipset such as the intel to an nvidia chipset. THe problems he is having doesn't even describe a driver conflict at all. The main problem is that he is running a prebuilt machine such as an HP computer that has proprietary written all over it.

Usually machines of that nature have a basic motherboard that doesn't allow for alot of altering or installation of new cards such as a major one like a video card. Since the card is AGP, that also presents other problems such as if the AGP slot is fast enough such as 1X, 2X etc and power. The problem Zero was describing is exactly the problems that the old Geoforce cards were having when plugged into motherboards. Either it would be a graphical glitch or the card would simply reboot the machine. In either case, the drivers have no control over the the fact the card isn't simply working right.

Hm... its a PCI card. 8755C Pavillions have a PCI bus.

ZeroMJ

Amusaka's Lacky
Highlander67 said:
oh, well im still doing research on your system I should know something soon

thanks a ton man, its been a while since i've gotten some good help around here. I really dont wanna end up buying a new computer just because this HP is an obsolete piece of shit.