vga to cga converters 15kgz, worth to use?

todosnk

Crossed Swords Squire
10 Year Member
Has anyone tried these vga to cga converters, which do convert any sort of VGA signal into arcade monitor displays?
How does it actually work when plugging PCs?
Is the image quality similar to plug directly a 15khz board on the monitor?
Does it work on 31khz monitors?
Or is it just better to use an ArcadeVGA?
Any recomendations/feedbacks are welcome :)

SmokeMonster

Morden's Lackey
The GBS-8200 is a good choice if you're on a budget, although it took some rather extreme modifications before I was happy with mine. You can read about the upgrades that I performed here, but basically I added an LM1881 sync-stripper circuit, Scart RGB input, recapped it, and tracked down a better power supply.

The GBS-8200 and 8220 can connect to arcade monitors at 15khz and 31khz, and the quality is pretty much the best you could get without stepping up to something more expensive like a FrameMeister. Also, if you know how to (or are good at learning) program chips, there is a serious effort taking place at the English Amiga Board to make the GBS-8200 a true 240p line doubler. That thread is a long read, but has great info about the GBS-8200.

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
The GBS-8200 is a good choice if you're on a budget, although it took some rather extreme modifications before I was happy with mine. You can read about the upgrades that I performed here, but basically I added an LM1881 sync-stripper circuit, Scart RGB input, recapped it, and tracked down a better power supply.

The GBS-8200 and 8220 can connect to arcade monitors at 15khz and 31khz, and the quality is pretty much the best you could get without stepping up to something more expensive like a FrameMeister. Also, if you know how to (or are good at learning) program chips, there is a serious effort taking place at the English Amiga Board to make the GBS-8200 a true 240p line doubler. That thread is a long read, but has great info about the GBS-8200.
he's not talking the GBS8200 or 8220, those convert CGA to VGA. He's talking the other way around VGA to CGA...

Gonbes (GBS) Makes a VGA to CGA board and it's lousy. I got one and it seriously stunk.

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
If you are doing a MAME type setup the ArcadeVGA is going to be 10x better than a GBS.

GBS really isn't that great out of the box. It has sync issues with games that use odd scan rates. Why I only use it for my test bench.

todosnk

Crossed Swords Squire
10 Year Member
Thanks guys for all the feedback :) I was curious to know how the best way would be.
I will be ordering an ArcadeVGA, seems the best way for now :)