Vehicle registration questions....

zombiesara

, She-sagwa
Okay, so I have an extra expired tag just sitting around. We're getting another car this weekend, and I need to know if I can renew and register this tag/registration to the new car, or if I have to purchase an entirely new registration (something I would really rather not do).

Also, we have a scooter that was given to my brother-in-law. However, they never used it or put the title in his name (he's only 16). So it currently has an expired tag. Since in this state you don't have to have mopeds and scooters insured, can I just go down to the Tag office and renew it?

I could just go down to the MVD to ask, I just don't wanna.

Deuce

Death Before Dishonesty, Logic Above All,
It varies from state to state, but I think the odds are more in favor of having to purchase a new registration. In most cases, expired license plates are supposed to be handed over to the DMV.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
It varies from state to state, but I think the odds are more in favor of having to purchase a new registration. In most cases, expired license plates are supposed to be handed over to the DMV.

+1

Can't hurt to take it in, since you should give it back to them anyway, but most likely they'll just issue you a new tag. I just registered a new car and had a tag expired in Nov 08 and she said they only transfer current tags.

zombiesara

, She-sagwa
I've been told before though, that if you turn the tag in you get a registration credit.

I just can justify buying a forth and possibly fifth registration if I don't have to.

yoko kurama

Kuroko's Training Dummy
You will have to get a new registration - IN EVERY STATE - you buy a (new/used) car, you must register it. As for moped/scooters - if you drive it on the street -YOU must insure it! That is law in all states. If you have a wrck on the moped/scooter and don't have insurance they will take you to jail for failure to maintain financial responsibility _ I promise you hit a car and the damage is going to be more than you are going to want to fork out of your own pocket, there is absolutely nohing cheap any more when repairing a vehicle.......damn light gets broke and it cost you $100+

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
You will have to get a new registration - IN EVERY STATE - you buy a (new/used) car, you must register it. As for moped/scooters - if you drive it on the street -YOU must insure it! That is law in all states. If you have a wrck on the moped/scooter and don't have insurance they will take you to jail for failure to maintain financial responsibility _ I promise you hit a car and the damage is going to be more than you are going to want to fork out of your own pocket, there is absolutely nohing cheap any more when repairing a vehicle.......damn light gets broke and it cost you $100+

You dont have to insure scooters in Florida.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Dunno about the scooter tag, but you'll definitely have to register and get new tags for the new car.

Ancient Flounder

"Just walk away. Give me the pump...the oil...the
15 Year Member
You dont have to insure scooters in Florida.

*jealous*

Nevada sucks like that. Here, anything that's 50cc is legally classified as a motorcycle and requires a Class M license, insurance and registration. I was quite disappointed to find all that out.

abasuto

Orgy Hosting Mod
15 Year Member
*jealous*

Nevada sucks like that. Here, anything that's 50cc is legally classified as a motorcycle and requires a Class M license, insurance and registration. I was quite disappointed to find all that out.

In Georgia 150cc or higher requires a license, insurance and registration. However, under 149cc. isn't technically street legal.

The loophole in our law is, a 149cc or less scooter isn't street legal, but a bicycle is (given the street is 45MPH or less in speed limit). So, people get 50-149cc scooters that have both an engine and also pedals (for back up). Even if you're using the engine, just having the pedals makes it a bicycle under the law, thus, street legal.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
in virginia you don't need a license for a moped, so that's nice.