Turbografx cd not working

LameKat

Armored Scrum Object
Bought this non-working unit awhile ago, just getting around to messing with it. When I put in a system card (have tried different ones) and a cd and power up the base and console, a start up screen appears. When I press run, the screen reads "just a moment..." and nothing further happens. I've tried just powering the base unit and pressing play on the cd player which does give me audio.
After a little investigation and reading I came across the ribbon ground issue, taped the ground a little tighter, but no luck.
Any suggestions

SNKNostalgia

Avid Neo-Expert
Seems like the lens is just simply going out. If it plays audio CDs but doesn't start up games, it could just be that. When loading a game, does the disc start spinning and quit fast... or does it just keep spinning for a while trying to boot up the game? You might have to re-align or replace the lens depending on which case. I would save these as the last fix attempt.

The other problem could have something to do with big white gear even if the CD player can play audio CDs. Try greasing up that area with lithium grease and spin the big white gear with your finger. It could get slightly stuck at some parts, which is why both of these will help. Also, check for any stripped plastic on the gear.

LameKat

Armored Scrum Object
Disk won't spin after pushing run. Gears are nice and toothy and not brittle, I'll have to see if I can find the grease.

SNKNostalgia

Avid Neo-Expert
Worth a try but if the disk isn't spinning at all when loading a game but works as a standalone CD player, then it is more likely another hardware or connectivity issue. Try cleaning the hell out of any contacts between the TG-16, base unit and CD player. Check any wiring inside all 3 as well. You got one hell of a project here it seems.

The other possibility is that there could be internal problems with ICs, traces, caps, etc... Do you have any other TG-16 systems to test with?

Go to the pcenginefx.com forums in the tech section. Ask people like BlackandBlue, Red Ghost and Chop5. They've been fooling with this stuff for quite a while. You will see all their post on the sticky's in that section. Good luck.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Worth a try but if the disk isn't spinning at all when loading a game but works as a standalone CD player, then it is more likely another hardware or connectivity issue. Try cleaning the hell out of any contacts between the TG-16, base unit and CD player. Check any wiring inside all 3 as well. You got one hell of a project here it seems.

The other possibility is that there could be internal problems with ICs, traces, caps, etc... Do you have any other TG-16 systems to test with?

Go to the pcenginefx.com forums in the tech section. Ask people like BlackandBlue, Red Ghost and Chop5. They've been fooling with this stuff for quite a while. You will see all their post on the sticky's in that section. Good luck.

Chop5 is jetblue here.

Official Ninja

Morden's Lackey
This is what happens when the NEC CDR-35d is used in the TG-CD. It works fine as an audio player but when you press START to play a game it will just sit there.

When the CD-ROM is in the base unit with an audio CD in the drive, press play on the drive itself. Does it play the audio CD with audio played through the TV?

Maybe the guts of the player were swapped with a CDR-35?

Last edited: