TURBO DUO SOUND FIX!! (56k beware)

Dean

Choi's Clawmaker
Yes, you read that right!!

Note that this is a fix for a SPECIFIC sound issue, but the big one. For this to work you will need to PROPERLY identify the problem with your system. There is more than one problem that can occur with Turbo Duo systems and I think this is going to work for many.

OK, the problem and diagnosis. Here are typical issues with Duo systems:
1. CD plays and loads fine, but all redbook audio (soundtrack, not sound effects) is dead.
2. audio is scratchy and may fade in and out, but the CD games load and play no problem (well, except for sound, duh)
3. CD play is sketchy and the drive sounds like it's struggling. More than just a sound issue

This fix seems to work mainly for the #2 case and maybe for #1. I need to test more systems though to be clear on what it works on. It should work for both, but I won't commit to that without further study.

So, some of you may have seen my hypothesis about what the sound issue is due to and after struggling for a way to prove it, I've finally found a way to study it. I blame the sound issue on overheating with the Duo model and have stated that the later DuoR and RX should be problem free due to placement of the audio components in relation to the heat sinks. But how to study the problem when you need the CD drive running, yet the cover off? The CD lid is required to keep the CD spinning.

At this point I'd like to take a moment to mourn the loss of a PC Engine Duo that gave it's life so others may live:
R10x600.jpg

I cut the top up so I could test the components while running. Don't worry, the unit itself was already dead anyways.

OK, so, look at the area need the heat sinks:
R9x600.jpg

In the yellow circle I highlight key components. The 10 uF caps on the left and right are controlling the left and right channel pre and post amp. The little 8-pin chip in the middle is an op-amp that is needed to process the sound. After tapping around on these, I found that the POST op-amp caps are indeed the ones responsible for the sound level and the scratching you sometimes hear. Sweet! These come from an era in the early 90's when there was rumored to be a problem with capacitor production. Dry cap likely. This is the same issue as with the Turbo Express that I covered before.

So then I ripped the bastards out and soldered down a couple of brand new 10 uF, 50V caps:
R12x600.jpg

Simple as hell and cheap, <$1 for the parts. Of course you need a special screwdriver bit to even open the thing, but hey....

And that's that! As said, I'm still working on what can and can't be repaired with this problem. More details will come when I can figure that out too.

And as it turns out I am figuring out how to deal with problem #3, wonky CD drive performance. Hallmark is the grinding, whining, whistling, stopping, grunting CD drive and game pausing, slow loading. There are 5 little screws in the unit that directly effect the drive performance so hopefully that will be fruitful.

Major thanks to Saibot and monads for supplying Duo's to look at. Hopefully I can fix theirs too.

soopafamicom

Windjammers Wonder
D-Lite said:
And as it turns out I am figuring out how to deal with problem #3, wonky CD drive performance. Hallmark is the grinding, whining, whistling, stopping, grunting CD drive and game pausing, slow loading. There are 5 little screws in the unit that directly effect the drive performance so hopefully that will be fruitful.

When I recieved one of my Duo's,when I tried to load a game I would just get the grinding and the disk was going slowly and then sped up before going slow again.As you can guess I thought I had bought a duff machine.

I decided to have a look and opened the casing and found nothing significantly wrong and with the lid off the machine the disks ran as they should on the drive spindle.Put the top back on and we were back to the grinding and irregular speeds.

All I did was play around with centre on the spindle,raising and lowering it until I got it to run perfectly.It seems to like the right amount of pressure between the disk and the rotating cap that's in the lid.Too little or too much and the machines don't work,get it just right -easy fix.

I have even fixed a so-called faulty gamecube by playing with the height of the spindle centre and didn't have to resort to boosting the power to the laser as some fixes need.

SNKNostalgia

Avid Neo-Expert
So D-Lite in your experience, would you suggest all regular Duo system owners to do this? Mine runs perfect but I hear that it won't one day.

Also I have what I think is normal with Duo systems but anoyes me sometimes. There is a hanging humming sound on some games, example Cadash US version or Image Fight 2.

P.S. Read my PM I sent a while back, I know you are a busy man so I understand.

Dean

Choi's Clawmaker
SNKNostalgia said:
So D-Lite in your experience, would you suggest all regular Duo system owners to do this? Mine runs perfect but I hear that it won't one day.

Also I have what I think is normal with Duo systems but anoyes me sometimes. There is a hanging humming sound on some games, example Cadash US version or Image Fight 2.

P.S. Read my PM I sent a while back, I know you are a busy man so I understand.
I'd say leave the system alone until you have the problem. No sense "fixing" it before then and risking something else happening.

And I got your PM, but I just don't have the time to update right now. Rest assured I'll do it someday :)

SNKNostalgia

Avid Neo-Expert
D-Lite said:
I'd say leave the system alone until you have the problem. No sense "fixing" it before then and risking something else happening.

And I got your PM, but I just don't have the time to update right now. Rest assured I'll do it someday :)

Cool, I guess your right "if ain't broke then don't fix i". But if its just 2 caps then it really isn't risky unless your are someone that doesn't know how to do a good solder job. I am pretty decent, I just need a better solder set-up to do perfect jobs.

As for the sound hanging noise that happens on some games, do you notice that also? I just wonder why it only goes away once you turn off and then turn on the system (Soft reboot doesn't work to get rid of it)?

Also I may install a cooling fan in my system since I hear the overheating causes the real bad sound issue. I just need to get the drill bits that the NES also uses.

SNKNostalgia said:
Also I may install a cooling fan in my system since I hear the overheating causes the real bad sound issue. I just need to get the drill bits that the NES also uses.

Trust me that cooling fan is worth every penny. :buttrock:

Dean

Choi's Clawmaker
SNKNostalgia said:
Cool, I guess your right "if ain't broke then don't fix i". But if its just 2 caps then it really isn't risky unless your are someone that doesn't know how to do a good solder job. I am pretty decent, I just need a better solder set-up to do perfect jobs.

As for the sound hanging noise that happens on some games, do you notice that also? I just wonder why it only goes away once you turn off and then turn on the system (Soft reboot doesn't work to get rid of it)?

No idea on the hanging issue. That's likely a problem with one of the ICs on the board.

haha, it's funny to hear about the heating issues and fans because I think I was the one that first started talking about it a while back :)
I believe the heat is part of the problem and now with confirmation that at least some of the sound issues occur in the area of the board where the heat sinks are supports it. The fan is easy enough to install but realize that to fit the fan in the AV slot you do need to trim the PCB a bit.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Not to derail the thread please check my pm D-lite.

Duo related ;)