This might be a stupid question

Yue

Baseball Star Hitter
Ok, this might be a really stupid question, but I need to know. Can US consoles play games from Europe? Sometimes there're games released in Europe but not in the US, and I remembered that games from Japan don't work in a US console unless you put a chip in it or something...So I was wondering if Europe had a different format as well.

Jag-Master

"Hey, are we done here?..., Cause I'm losing my bu
15 Year Member
Well what console are you talking about, first off? More than happy to help JLMK

Zenimus

Zantetsu's Blade Sharpener
I don't think most older games from Europe will work correctly in US systems, since they were designed for the PAL video format, which runs at a slightly different speed than NTSC.

I wonder though, HDTV effectively eliminates PAL and NTSC, since those only refer to the old low-res TV formats. If you get an HD game for PS3 or X360, those should work perfectly unless there's some kind of region lock.

Yue

Baseball Star Hitter
So...if it were a PS2 game...a european one probably wouldn't work on the american one? And if it's for the PS3, it might work? But then! Some PS3's were able to play PS2 games too, would a european game work on that as well?

xiao_haozi

Avid Neo-Expert
I don't think most older games from Europe will work correctly in US systems, since they were designed for the PAL video format, which runs at a slightly different speed than NTSC.

I wonder though, HDTV effectively eliminates PAL and NTSC, since those only refer to the old low-res TV formats. If you get an HD game for PS3 or X360, those should work perfectly unless there's some kind of region lock.

So...if it were a PS2 game...a european one probably wouldn't work on the american one? And if it's for the PS3, it might work? But then! Some PS3's were able to play PS2 games too, would a european game work on that as well?

You wouldn't be able to play PAL on an ntsc ps2. You could if you had a modchip/booter to enable your region to be switched (and can also adjust the output rate as well).

Not sure about the PS3 but I would assuem you have the same issue. Japanese ones should work as long as you don't have region lockout because it's NTSC-J so you would be fine there (in terms of video output and not code lockouts).

Mithos

Zero's Tailor
You wouldn't be able to play PAL on an ntsc ps2. You could if you had a modchip/booter to enable your region to be switched (and can also adjust the output rate as well).

Not sure about the PS3 but I would assuem you have the same issue. Japanese ones should work as long as you don't have region lockout because it's NTSC-J so you would be fine there (in terms of video output and not code lockouts).

If you wanted to play a PAL game on a NTSC system then you'd have to copy the game and then patch the iso or hope that it has a video selector built in. As for ps2 games on ps3 they won't work because of region locking. PS3 games, however, will work as long as you have a HDTV no matter what the region.

xiao_haozi

Avid Neo-Expert
If you wanted to play a PAL game on a NTSC system then you'd have to copy the game and then patch the iso or hope that it has a video selector built in. As for ps2 games on ps3 they won't work because of region locking. PS3 games, however, will work as long as you have a HDTV no matter what the region.

Yeah but there are quite a few that are easy to play:
http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/121718 .... not out of the box solution, but doable.