The Comic Book Thread

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
So I read some Civil War Avengers the other day.

Captain America is such a badass. (But we already knew that)

I really need to start picking up some monthly titles.

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
Finally got all the issues of Infinite Crisis Saturday and read them all Sunday night. The part with all the old Flash' taking on Superboy Prime was pretty awesome.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
genjiglove said:
Finally got all the issues of Infinite Crisis Saturday and read them all Sunday night. The part with all the old Flash' taking on Superboy Prime was pretty awesome.

My friend was telling me all about Infinite Crisis as he picks up quite a few monthly titles in the DC and Marvel universes.

Sounds so kick ass.

Is a trade paperback of the infinite crisis stuff out yet?

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
Lagduf said:
My friend was telling me all about Infinite Crisis as he picks up quite a few monthly titles in the DC and Marvel universes.

Sounds so kick ass.

9/20/06 is the release date of the hardcover trade of Infinite Crisis, according to amazon.com anyway. I'm sure a tpb will be released shortly after.

If you really want to read it though all seven issues are fairly easy to find and you won't have to spend much to get them.

Squarehater will probably want to shoot me for saying this but I like Civil War just as much.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Lagduf said:
The various lead-up mini series are out in trades, but not the actual series, yet. It's coming soon, and they're adding pages, so you might as well wait.

I loved the first three issues, liked the next two, and really wasn't crazy about the final two issues. Overall, I guess I liked it well enough. The art is really inconsistent, though. Especially towards the end of the series, when more and more guest artists took pages, I guess as they were rushing against deadlines.

H

hermegildo

SouthtownKid said:
The art is really inconsistent, though. Especially towards the end of the series, when more and more guest artists took pages, I guess as they were rushing against deadlines.
I prefer that over waiting six months for another issue of the Ultimates (but not by much).

Did I mention how I'm up to vol. 5 of 100 Bullets?

That shit kicks so much ass.

The artwork is amazing and well worth the price of admission alone.

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
hermegildo said:
I prefer that over waiting six months for another issue of the Ultimates (but not by much).

I'm still waiting for a new issue of Ultimate Wolverine vs. Hulk personally. I don't think it's ever going to happen.

H

hermegildo

Marvel needs to get their shit together with the delays.

At least Ultimate Spider-Man is bi-weekly.

H

hermegildo

Hey benji, read 100 Bullets.

The first trade is so-so, but it gets better as it goes along.

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
hermegildo said:
Hey benji, read 100 Bullets.

The first trade is so-so, but it gets better as it goes along.

I've considered it, but I have so many trades I want to read and not nearly enough money to buy them. But I keep hearing how great 100 Bullets is so I might have to check it out.

First I want to get The Walking Dead trades and then maybe some Conan trades. Then I want to get some Cerebus trades (if I can find them) and some Flaming Carrot books. Then I might start on Hellboy (always loved Mike Mignola's art) and then Sandman (got to see if this book is nearly as good as it was hyped to be back in the mid-90's). I could think of a thousand others I'd like to get but as I said the money situation doesn't really allow for it.:crying:

H

hermegildo

Sandman would be my first recommendation from all that stuff you mentioned.

Then 100 Bullets.

The rest of the stuff I've either not read or is not as good as Sandman or 100 Bullets.

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
hermegildo said:
Sandman would be my first recommendation from all that stuff you mentioned.

Then 100 Bullets.

The rest of the stuff I've either not read or is not as good as Sandman or 100 Bullets.

I recommend you shut up before I punch you.

j/k herme!

Just out of curiousity herme, what books do you get on a monthly basis?

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
hermegildo said:
On a normal book, I'd kind of agree with you, but not here. At least, I'd prefer if they'd just get a guest artist to draw the whole issue, and not just rushed-looking pages here and there. A book that's supposed to be as important as this should at least look consistent throughout. The original Crisis had 2 artists, but still maintained a consistent look, which helped it hold up as long and as well as it has. IC looks slapped together in a lot of places.

For Ultimates...fuck it, I'll wait. For me, it's a special case; like a movie or something. When it gets here, it gets here. And in my mind, it's more the fault of Marvel for soliciting it on a completely unrealistic schedule, considering how much work goes into the style Hitch uses, and how they should be well aware of his speed limitations by now.

On the other hand, delays on normal books (like the new Wonder Woman "monthly" series, where the 2nd fucking issue is already going to be a month late) piss me off to no end. Supposed to be professionals, which means doing what you say you're going to do. Any excuse that doesn't involve someone in the hospital, dead, or getting married/having a baby, I'm not fucking interested. If someone can't handle the job, get rid of them and get someone who can. There are plenty of talented and motivated creators out there.

H

hermegildo

genjiglove said:
Just out of curiousity herme, what books do you get on a monthly basis?
I don't really buy single issues anymore.

I'll go to the comic store and pick up shit that looks interesting every once in a while (like the Paul Dini Batman) but I usually just wait for the trades. Like you, I have a lot of reading to do in TPB form before I even think about buying single issues. It comes out cheaper and I get the to read the whole story in a single sitting if I wish too, as opposed to waiting months for the next part of the story to come.

And speaking of which, I heard that Bryan Hitch is actually filthy rich.

I don't think I need to explain further.

You can have the most detailed drawings in the comic book world but I'm sorry, it'll never take someone over 5 months to complete a 22 page issue.

Last edited:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
hermegildo said:
You can have the most detailed drawings in the comic book world but I'm sorry, it'll never take someone over 5 months to complete a 22 page issue.
Geez, has it been 5 months? Yeah, there really isn't an excuse for that...maybe if he was inking himself I could see it, but he isn't.

I don't notice what kind of delays he's had, because I just put the whole thing out of my mind until I hear the whole thing is done. I did the same thing with the first series; I bought the first couple issues, said fuck it, and just didn't even think about the series again until I saw the hardcover on the new release shelf. I haven't even looked through a single issue of Ultimates 2, nor did I pick up the first Ultimates 2 trade. I have no idea what it's about. I just know I liked the first series a lot, I hear people talking about how good this one is, so when the hardcover comes out, I'll get it. Until then, whatever. No hurry.

H

hermegildo

I don't know if it's been 5 months for the newest issue, but I do recall it being that long between issues about halfway during the first Ultimates.

A friend of mine is always bitching about how long it takes to come out.

I'm going the HC route as well.

wookiewombat

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
The Ultimates is a great book, Hitch is an amazing artist...filthy rich??

What did everyone think of Grant Morrisons first issue of Batman? I actully liked it a lot. I vaguly remember Batmans Son though from a long ass time ago.

Daredevil kicked ass this weed..HARD. Brubaker is doing such a good job on this book right now.

And if youre not, do yourself a favor and pick up Brubakers Captain American run. It is the best Cap youll read in awhile.

Heres what im buying this week:

JUN060182 52 WEEK #13 $2.50
APR060226 ABSOLUTE KINGDOM COME EDITION HC $75.00 - DCBS Order
JUN060157 DETECTIVE COMICS #822 $2.99
JUN060261 EXTERMINATORS #8 (MR) $2.99
JUN060269 Y THE LAST MAN #48 (MR) $2.99
MAR061854 INVINCIBLE #34 $2.99
MAY061992 MOON KNIGHT #4 $2.99
JUN061933 ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN #98 $2.99
JUN061997 UNCANNY X-MEN #477 $2.99
MAY063336 LEADING MAN #2 (OF 5) (MR) $3.50

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
hermegildo said:
I don't know if it's been 5 months for the newest issue, but I do recall it being that long between issues about halfway during the first Ultimates.

A friend of mine is always bitching about how long it takes to come out.

I'm going the HC route as well.

I know it's been at least six months since the last issue of Ultimate Wolverine vs. Hulk. It was supposed to be bi-monthly, I guess they are changed that to bi-yearly.

wookiewombat

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
genjiglove said:
I know it's been at least six months since the last issue of Ultimate Wolverine vs. Hulk. It was supposed to be bi-monthly, I guess they are changed that to bi-yearly.
fucking hollywood Lost writers

how do you guys feel about all these hollywood types coming in and taking comic book writers jobs?

personally im on the fence with it. I can tell some guys LOVE the medium and generally want to do it *Joss Whedon, Allen Heinberg* but some of them take fucking forever to get the scripts in *Kevin Smith*

i know these guys are comic book fans but come the fuck on here.

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
wookiewombat said:
fucking hollywood Lost writers

how do you guys feel about all these hollywood types coming in and taking comic book writers jobs?

personally im on the fence with it. I can tell some guys LOVE the medium and generally want to do it *Joss Whedon, Allen Heinberg* but some of them take fucking forever to get the scripts in *Kevin Smith*

i know these guys are comic book fans but come the fuck on here.

I hate their scheduling (six fucking months is unacceptable) but if they are good writers it doesn't bother me. The guy writing Wolverine vs. Hulk (can't recall his name off the top of my head) did a great job with the first two issues but if he can't finish a six issue miniseries in less than two years then they might need to consider getting someone else.

Joss Whedon writes Astonishing X-Men which is one of my favorite books and does it on a fairly regular basis. AXM is the best X-book in years. Although I haven't read much of Morrison's New X-Men, so I can't comment on that.

Anyway, I think having television/movie writers write comics is probably good for the industry on some level. It might draw interest from more casual fans or even draw in some new ones.

Last edited:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I like the idea bringing in talent from outside media (tv, movies, novels, etc.) a lot. The comics industry tends to be extremely incestuous when left on its own, endlessly repeating the same few stories over and over, and needs fresh perspectives desperately.

Unfortunately, comics don't pay a whole hell of a lot in general. Even at the high end of the comics payscale, it's nothing compared to the money you pull in working in TV or whatever. So a lot of times, people's priorities are elsewhere. That's when I get pissed off.

When a writer from outside entertainment media wants to write comics, I am behind them 100%...as long as they really want to write comics. If they want to write comics...as a hobby...when all of their "real" work is done...I say put them on some special project where it doesn't matter when it comes out (like Ultimate Hulk/Wolverine) or fucking get rid of them. I hate people that take their outside media professionally, but act unprofessionally towards comics.

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
So, what's the general consensus on Grant Morrison's run in New X-Men?

H

hermegildo

genjiglove said:
I hated it.

I read it when it first came out (back when I was still buying single issues) and it completely alienated me from the series. It made the characters completely unrecognizable and just turned me off from the franchise entirely.

I haven't bought a single X-Men issue since (though I may get the Ultimate X-Men HCs in the future).

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
genjiglove said:
It's great.

It's pretty much the first time since Claremont's first run on the franchise that ANYTHING at all has been done with the characters and concepts. Pretty much everyone before and since Morrison has just regurgitated what Claremont did without adding anything new.

I hate what he did with Magneto, but everything else was visionary.