The big ass CENSORED kof 2000/2001 PS2 review thread

Kevin Paul

Overtop Pathfinder
Play gave the compilation a B+, which is the best review so far.

It's funny because EGM reviewed Midway classics in the same issue, and never do they mention archaic graphics or sound. Instead the grizzled editors chime in about superlative gameplay compared to today, but when they review KOF it's OHH, it's so ugly. The graphics are horrible, especially 2001.

I guess it's not about the gameplay anymore...

rebellion1

Mr. Big's Thug
Kevin Paul said:

It's funny because EGM reviewed Midway classics in the same issue, and never do they mention archaic graphics or sound. Instead the grizzled editors chime in about superlative gameplay compared to today, but when they review KOF it's OHH, it's so ugly. The graphics are horrible, especially 2001.

well, in EGM's defense the midway compilation is only 20 bones and features a shitload of games.

the main thing that pissed them shmucks off was that it was almost full priced and the grpahics wern't up to their standards.

and twodeep, yea most gaming mags really suck today. I really miss the days of game players :(

I'll have to check that play review.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
Kevin Paul said:

Also, I think it's about the year numbers after King of Fighters which the editors (except Sushi-X), which of course are 2000 and 2001 and just expect it to be something graphically of that era.

Kevin Paul

Overtop Pathfinder
I'll give Sushi-X credit he at least looked at the game objectively. All the other reviewers didn't, instead they griped about graphics. Hmm... I guess that's why in their minds Soul Calibur 2 is the greatest fighter ever (not saying the game isn't great but not the greatest).

And granted this compilation is $39.99, but at least it's two games for 40 bucks.

With that kind of press from one of the more mainstream video game magazines, it's any wonder why SNK never got the support it deserved (but the same can be applied to 2D fighters, Treasure, shooters, etc).

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
"(the 2001 character models are infested with jaggies)"

Models? Maybe he is confused or maybe SNKP uses highly advanced graphics to make their 3D Models look like 2D.

rebellion1

Mr. Big's Thug
yea nes, gameinformer is notorious for saying really (and i mean REALLY) stupid things when talking about snk games.

but they scored it good so i fiorgive them.

Only 9 days till U.S. release, aI'm not sure of a european release though.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Kevin Paul said:
I'll give Sushi-X credit he at least looked at the game objectively. All the other reviewers didn't, instead they griped about graphics. Hmm... I guess that's why in their minds Soul Calibur 2 is the greatest fighter ever (not saying the game isn't great but not the greatest).

And granted this compilation is $39.99, but at least it's two games for 40 bucks.

With that kind of press from one of the more mainstream video game magazines, it's any wonder why SNK never got the support it deserved (but the same can be applied to 2D fighters, Treasure, shooters, etc).
Holy crap, I miss Treasure...

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
SilverAngel said:
does anyone know if its coming out in europe?
As of now, I don't think so, but might come out in the future. Ben Herman previously talked about SNK Playmore going to Europe, but never said when.

rebellion1

Mr. Big's Thug
new reviews are trickling in over at www.gamerankings.com

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages4/918878.asp

THe fuckers at Playstation Magazine gave it a 2.5 out of 5.

some site called etoy chest gave it a REALLY good review though, very long and very informative. Though i wondered why the reviewer said some animation seemed to be cut out...

http://www.etoychest.org/reviews/ps2_r_67.html

anyway, that site gives it a very nice review, and a cool pic too.

banner_review.jpg

Anyone want to type up what them schmucks at playstation magazine said?

Last edited:

Shapermc

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
rebellion1 said:
Anyone want to type up what them schmucks at playstation magazine said?
Even worse anyone want to type up the crap that was said about it in EGM?

Their reviews were:

5.0 | 5.5 | 7.5

Overall not bad, but they say how old the Neo hardware is and hold IT accountable for bad games... crap.

SilverAngel

Member,
Lets Gekiga In said:
As of now, I don't think so, but might come out in the future. Ben Herman previously talked about SNK Playmore going to Europe, but never said when.

Thanks for letting me know :)

rebellion1

Mr. Big's Thug
Shapermc said:
Even worse anyone want to type up the crap that was said about it in EGM?

Their reviews were:

5.0 | 5.5 | 7.5

Overall not bad, but they say how old the Neo hardware is and hold IT accountable for bad games... crap.

see, that's what pisses me off.

Mario advance 4 (mario 3) gets glaring reviews from everyone, even though it is just a re-release of a RE RELEASE (a port of super mario allstars mario 3 which was a port of nes mario 3) and the graphics and sound aint nothing special even on GBA SP.

you all know what point im makin here - if the game plays good then why the fuck is it rated in the 6's?

rebellion1

Mr. Big's Thug
GMR just reviewed it, gave it a 6 out of 10.

The review basically says that KOF 2002 should have been brought over instead because 2000 and 2001 are the worst in the series. It's a pretty good review and the reviewer Dave Smith really know what he is talking about (even bringing up how the neogeo original would cost you about $700...a little high but the fact he even mentions that rules)

Im not too pissed because he actually knew what he was talking about, and just didn't like 2000 and 2001 which is understandable. Much better than EGM's garbage review.

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
People are stupid. They just look at it as an old 2D game and they'll almost instantlly bash it because it doesn't look like Tekken.

I didn't really like 2000 and 2001 (compaired to 2002), but considering your getting two games for the price of one, you can't beat it.

Any reviewer that gives it bad raitings because the graphics are bad, there's no tag team feature or it's too hard is an idiot and should have there job taken away.

Kevin Paul

Overtop Pathfinder
Hmm....

EGM gave Soul Calibur 2 a 9.0, 9.5 and 10 (not sure). Not to say the game isn't great, but the game starts out like a button masher until you learn it's nuances. Yes, the graphics are great, the music is cool, the adventure mode supplies short-term replay and the gameplay is deep (sorta).

I can't understand why the KOF compilation couldn't at least get 7s. Granted the graphics were horrid even when they were originally released, the music reeks and the only replayability is in versus, but the gameplay is still leaps and bounds better than most 3D games.

Game Informer gave Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance a 9.5. Nuff said...

If PSM could give GGX2 a 9 then I don't know what they're problems is...

Like someone said, these magazines are hypocrites. Legend of Zelda, Super Mario, Ghouls and Ghosts or whatever is re-released on Game Boy Advance and they view it as the second coming, but a 2D game with phenomonal gameplay is released they turn their face away and put they nose up.

Violent Ryo

Loyal Neo-Disciple
you know we should write to these magazines and explain to them that their reviewers are too biased and only rate a game on its graphics mostly....we should mention that real gamers put gameplay first and then graphics...we should really do this...
i think it will help a lot, so who is with me? let's do this for 2D Fighters!!

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Kevin Paul said:
I can't understand why the KOF compilation couldn't at least get 7s. Granted the graphics were horrid even when they were originally released, the music reeks and the only replayability is in versus, but the gameplay is still leaps and bounds better than most 3D games./B]
I think even you are selling it too short. Horrid graphics, music that reeks... you can maybe say those things about 2001, but 2000 (the last full-SNK KOF) has very good graphics and in my opinion one of the best soundtracks of the series. The Ikari team, Ryuko no Ken team, K's team... those are great themes... It's unfair that you lump them in with the techno-noise of '01.

rebellion1

Mr. Big's Thug
i LOVED the music in 2001 besides like 3 tracks.

yes i am insane

anyway, writing to the idiots at EGM is a lost cause, and the person at GMR just liked KOF 98 style better so i don't hold it against him cause his review was very informed.

Kevin Paul

Overtop Pathfinder
Southtownkid

I agree with you regarding the music in KOF 2000, but I don't like the graphics in KOF from 2K to 2K2.

2K2 had to compete with Garou, Last Blade 2, GGX (I think), SF3S, SFA3, MVC2 and CVS.

The music and graphics still reek in 2K1 though. 2K1 is the only KOF I have not bought for my Neo (I have all the rest). I only play it once in a blue moon for my Dreamcast. Though, I'll admit the gameplay is more refined than 2K.

Shit, they just reviewed Pacman in a recent EGM, and one of the reviewers gave it a 9 (though the graphics were revamped 3D, but they were still simple by Gamecube standards).

I'm just irked by magazine reviews. I remember when EGM gave 3S a bunch of 7s or 8s. But their sister magazine GMR rated the game as the best fighting game ever. And even EGM rated it as one of the 100 best video games (I think it had a pretty good ranking too).

Or I'll never forget the Super Street Fighter II debacle. Just because Capcom was dropping yearly updates to SFII they decided to review the game harshly and not on its gameplay. It was stupid back then because they were sucking SF's dick before that when they gave the previous two games 9s and 10s and devoted dozens of covers to covering them.

And it's funny Madden comes out every year, and no one seems to harp on that. Granted, Madden is awesome, but they hardly ever change the graphics or make giant changes...