The 5 Greatest Voices Ever To Grace Music?

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
Freddy Mercury
Freddy Mercury
Freddy Mercury
Freddy Mercury
Freddy Mercury

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
Ahahaha Axl Rose. That's kinda cute. :lolz:

As for listing this stuff... I don't know... There are a lot of 'em.

Carl Perkins had an awesome voice, as did Roy Orbison. Eddie Cochran, too.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
John Lennon
Elvis Presley
Otis Redding
Aretha Franklin
Robert Plant
James Brown
Michael Jackson
Kurt Cobain
Jim Morrison
Paul McCartney
Bob Marley

soulthug

Wannabe Thug,, born 1991
15 Year Member
Listening to music in a deep way recently :emb:

Anyways, who are the finest, greatest, awesomest, powerfullest, excellentest voices in music in your opinion? (Quickly, before i rape the suffix "est" and the English language in general any more)

Mine-
5. Elvis Presley (Sounds cheese, but come on, there is a good reason why he is considered the greatest singer of all time by thousands/millions. Particularly spectacular voice, especially for the time his music came about)
Rockin' the Jailhouse
4. Bruce Dickinson (IMO the best voice in metal. Awesome, huge, majestic voice. Brilliant, loud, and fits the band perfectly. No other rock singer has the great range of this man.)
Are YOU scared of the dark?
3. Aretha Franklin (The soul legend, need i say more? BLUEEEEEEES BROTHERSSSSS :chimp: )
You better THINK! Think think! (What ya tryyyyna do to me) :emb:
2. Marvin Gaye (The outstanding overlord of R'n'B. Like you didn't already know. ¬_¬)
Oh come on, what other video would i post?
1. Antony (Lead of Antony And The Johnsons. Heart stopping. Profound. Perfection. The kind of voice you'll wake up in the middle of the night in a cold sweat and hear reverbing through your head. There is no other like it. I just want him to hold me in his arms forever and ever :crying: :emb: )
I hope you enjoy his music as much as i do.

PS:
Barry White and Damon Albarn almost made the cut, FYI :emb:

YOUR TURN! Choose wisely.
I still fully agree with these.

Thuggles age 15 was almost as awesome as me.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Ah Antony, I actually still prefer the live version from the Jooles Holland show. Found it by mistake searching for Anthony Johnson and misspelled it.

I fully agree with him at #1, very emotional song.

J. Max

judas,
Five greatest non-classical voices:

1. Aretha Franklin
2. Marvin Gaye
3. Smokey Robinson
4. Mariah Carey
5. Ray Charles

Honorable mentions: (in no particular order)

Philip Bailey (Earth Wind and Fire)

Freddie Mercury

Steve Perry (I've said it before and I'll say it again, Journey was THE band for the album oriented rock stations of the 70s and 80s. Try singing "Oh Sherry" - not so easy.)

Dennis DeYoung (I hate Styx, but I'll give him his due)

Roy Orbison

Whitney Houston (pre-Bobby Brown)

Any of the Temptations (too hard to separate them)

Christina Aguilara

Mavis Staples

Carl Perkins

Probably a bunch of country people who I don't know.

There are others who I just can't think of right now. I can tell you who ISN'T on my list of best singers:

Johnny Cash - I LOVE Johnny Cash. I think he's one of the most important pop singers of all time. But if you listen, he's usually not singing so much as he is talking. As a pure singer, I don';t think he was so good.

Elvis - Elvis had a one-dimensional voice. Like the Beatles, his importance overshadows the fact that he wasn't that great of a pure singer.

Any metal singer - The idea if you're singing metal is to fit in with the band's sound. Most of them just sound really angry - which is a good thing for their style.

Last edited:

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Johnny Cash - I LOVE Johnny Cash. I think he's one of the most important pop singers of all time. But if you listen, he's usually not singing so much as he is talking. As a pure singer, I don';t think he was so good.
Yeah Johnny Cash is good.. he was like Dylan in that he made the most of the voice he had.