Taking my AES apart

seamoon

New Challenger
My AES system has always suffered from unreliable joystick ports, that is, certain directions or buttons stop responding and when I touch the connector it sometimes starts working again and other times some other button will die etc. I think this is due to dry joints and that I'll have to do some resoldering. Problem is, I'm not so sure on how to unscrew the system and how to take off the shell and feel uncomfortable bending away at random.
Are there any detailed descriptions out there on how to disassemble ones AES-system or maybe someone here has the kindness to give me some guidance?

SSS

neo retired
seamoon said:
My AES system has always suffered from unreliable joystick ports, that is, certain directions or buttons stop responding and when I touch the connector it sometimes starts working again and other times some other button will die etc. I think this is due to dry joints and that I'll have to do some resoldering. Problem is, I'm not so sure on how to unscrew the system and how to take off the shell and feel uncomfortable bending away at random.
Are there any detailed descriptions out there on how to disassemble ones AES-system or maybe someone here has the kindness to give me some guidance?

flip it over and remove the rubber feet that feel like they have a hole under them. Remove the screws and pop off the top. A few screws on the inside hold the board to the base. Remove them and it should pop out. It's so easy you shouldn't need a guide.

seamoon

New Challenger
Hehe, ok, now I feel stupid :loco:
I did not know there were screws under the spongy thingies. Did not seem removable to me... I just unscrewed the two visible screws and was like WTF?!
Thanks for helping out.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
This is a common problem with the AES which is usually nothing internal, you just need to reseat the connector into the port. The AES joystick ports were made too loose IMO. So just unplug the controller and replug it in.

Monolith

Pleasure Goal
Ehh, don't feel stupid. people tend to just not realize that sometimes. It happens often on electronics. As he said,once you get the feet removed its pretty easy process. If your careful with them you can reuse the feet too.