Sunsoft Collection (PS2) - Waku Waku 7, Galaxy Fight

lordnikon

Another Striker
My copy of Sunsoft Collection for PS2 just arrived. However I am trying to determine what exactly is on this disc. Aside from NESTS collection which was a hybrid of PS2/DC ports, and alternate ROM versions, all others featured the NEO GEO AES Startup intro. Waku Waku 7 nor Galaxy Fight feature this.

There is a slight filter over all of the graphics which fuzzes them out ever so slightly as to disable sprite flicker. The game doesn't have any sprite flicker which is a plus, but unfortunatly is "slightly" filtered. At this point I can't tell which I would have prefered. This, or pixel perfect with sprite flicker. I mean ideally I would want the game to be like other compilations where it was rendered in true-low-res with scanlines (AOF, FF, WH, etc), but obviously the game wasn't released like this. Also, I want to point out that the graphical filtering is not like previous games where you have the sharpness / fuzziness in the options menu. Games would generate sprite flicker regardless of toggling that. This is more like an overall filtering seen in KOF XI, or 98 Ultimate Match, only you can't adjust the pixel sharpness of your characters. There are no graphical tweaking settings at all in Sunsoft Collection outside of screen hight and positioning.

From the main menu there are two options. Arcade Mode, and Practice Mode. These replace any in-game menus for either game. When you start up each game, it takes you straight to a difficulty level option that says "EASY, NORMAL, HARD, MVS" then right into character select. There are what looks to be newer options when pressing select in Practice or Arcade mode.

What I am trying to trying to figure out is what is on this game? Did they strip apart the AES / MVS roms to build this? or did they lump in PS1/Saturn ports? I have never played either of these games on the Saturn/PS1/AES. I have only played Waku Waku 7 and Galaxy Fight in an emulation environment so I don't know what to look for in terms of differences.

Can anyone else here lend some additional insight on this?

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Cant you adjust the filters in the options menu before you load the game? You can do this in Garou or the Fatal Fury collections. I turn all the filtering off and go straight back to pixels.

Wait, I see that you've already said this above. Whoops.

Ports are always a mixed bag, just buy the damn games on MVS.

Ruell

, I FORGOT MY SECRET SANTA OBLIGATION. FUCK ME, RI
I probably would have picked this up if they had Astra superstars with it. Oh well. I'll stick to the neo versions of the game

lordnikon

Another Striker
Ports are always a mixed bag, just buy the damn games on MVS.
Yes but I am trying to determine exactly how mixed this particular bag is ;)

--

If anyone owns the PS1/SAT versions, and enjoys doing research into Neo ports, jump on board. I am trying to determine if the Sunsoft Collection features simply well modified emulations, or ports of the PS1/SAT versions.

In the Saturn / PS1 ports of Waku Waku 7 or Galaxy Fight were there different menus? Did it take you right to a difficulty select and then into the game? How were the graphics handled on the PS1/SAT versions? Were there scanlines or was there sprite flicker? Were there drops in animation frames?