Step down converter question

seamoon

New Challenger
Hi folks,

I live in Sweden and need a step down converter from 220 to 110 volts and I've found several of those on the net, but they differ in effect, some 20W, some 45W, some 50W etc. What is suitable for a japanese AES system? I've found one in local store marked 100W, can I use that? :help:

Last edited:

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
seamoon said:
Hi folks,

I live in Sweden and need a step down converter from 220 to 110 volts and I've found several of those on the net, but they differ in effect, some 20W, some 45W, some 50W etc. What is suitable for a japanese AES system? I've found one in local store marked 100W, can I use that? :help:

Yes, that would be fine

seamoon

New Challenger
ttooddddyy said:
Yes, that would be fine

Great, thanks. Just out of curiosity, in what way does the effect matter? Could I use a converter with an arbitrary value for the effect?

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
seamoon said:
Great, thanks. Just out of curiosity, in what way does the effect matter? Could I use a converter with an arbitrary value for the effect?

The 20 Watt converter would probably be adequate to run a consol

You could use a 2000 Watt converter but it is bulkier and more expensive.

The minimum wattage requirement is what is important, there is no maximum.

You dont need a sledge hammer to crack a nut ;)

drombat

Galford's Armourer
ttooddddyy said:
You dont need a sledge hammer to crack a nut ;)

No, cause that would ruin your nut.

If an electronic device is designed to run in a certain electronic environment, I would try and mimic that environment to the best of my abilities. That is, I would try and make sure that the device is fed the volts, amps and watts it was designed for.

Kunio

Mr. Big's Thug
Using a 2000W step down converter for a Neo Geo (or an alarm clock too for that matter) is running within specifications. You are mixing it up with changing the AC-Adapter for the system itself and running that one out of spec can cause trouble.

The step down converter mimics an outlet and trust me, any outlet is able to deliver more than 2000W or you would pop a fuse every time you use a hair dryer or vacuum cleaner.

This is not about sledge hammers and nuts, this is more like buying a new table and figuring out how to bring it home. Either you rent a volvo or you rent a truck. You will still get the table home, but the truck just isn't needed unless you buy 10 tables which is more than the volvo can take. The truck is bulky, unnecessary and expensive but well yeah, you do get the table home.

Watts and Amps are about how much load you can put on the step down converter. You can have a million watts step down converter to run a gameboy. The gameboy takes what it needs and leaves the rest. However, if the voltage is incorrect you will damage your equipment.

Keep the Watts and Amps equal to or above its requirements and you will be perfectly safe. The voltage however HAS TO BE correct or you will kill your system.

seamoon

New Challenger
Kunio said:
Keep the Watts and Amps equal to or above its requirements and you will be perfectly safe. The voltage however HAS TO BE correct or you will kill your system.

Ok, thanks alot!
What would be the minimum wattage to run a home system then?

RGP

Tesse's Maintainence Man
I use a 200watt stepdown for my Japanese cab.

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
seamoon said:
Ok, thanks alot!
What would be the minimum wattage to run a home system then?

I would guess a minimum of say 20 Watts maybe 25 Watts. (5v @ 4 amps should suffice, that would run most arcade board sets)

Esentially the higher the better within reason, you dont want to truck it in.