Soul Calibur on Jamma

Ely13

Sultan of Slugs
Question for any of those who own or have played SC1 or SC2's on arcade: is there any aspect where the arcade version is superior to the Dreamcast or X-Box port? I've been thinking about picking up 1 or 2, but I was wondering if Namco ended up improving upon everything (graphics, music, etc.) for the console ports. If both are indisputably inferior to the console versions, I guess I'll save my money.

Last edited:

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Ely13 said:
Question for any of those who own or have played SC1 or SC2's on arcade: is there any aspect where the arcade version is superior to the Dreamcast or X-Box port? I've been thinking about picking up 1 or 2, but I was wondering if Namco ended up improving upon everything (graphics, music, etc.) for the console ports. If both are indisputably inferior to the console versions, I guess I'll save my money.

From waht I've heard, your better off saving your money....

At a minimum get Converters to put a DC/PSII/Xbox in your cab.,

Ely13

Sultan of Slugs
norton9478 said:
From waht I've heard, your better off saving your money....

At a minimum get Converters to put a DC/PSII/Xbox in your cab.,
I might just end up getting those converter pads from D-Lite once I get over my CPS2 obsession. They're really nice... just plug in your DB-15 sticks behind the pad. Probably won't play so well for Orta, though :(

gamejunkie

Hijacked by a Spambot!
I played this shit outta SC2 when my brother bought it for Xbox. Only just recently I played the arcade version, it's ok... Not $800 ok though.

Plus there's that sweet weapon unlock mode in the home versions.

subbie

Baseball Star Hitter
I've owned all 3

SC 1 - Great. DC version visualy is better but I prefer playing the jamma build. Its also rather cheap now.

SC 2 - Very simular YET, Arcade Conquest & Console Conquest mode are nothing alike. Also the arcade version gives you much more options then any previous Arcade fighter (time trials, conquest, story mode, Practice). Yet I don't belive there is unlockable characters (i've yet to get any) yet no anoying BS add in characters (link, spawn, ...) which i love since I hated the exclusive characters.

My Personal Opion.
Dc version is better then arcade version of Soul Calibur 1.
Soul Calibur 2 is better on arcades yet lacks unlockable characters (which happen to be 2 that i like the most). Visualy xbox has more polygons in the enviroment with little things like particles and blades of grass but its pretty even. The arcade version texturing is just as good as the xbox build.

If you have a 31Khz Arcade monitor then it's posible to make SC2 look much better then on a standard TV. Yet if you have a HD Tv and run the xbox build in 480P, then they would be equal.

Problem? Soul calibur 2 is freaking expensive as hell. $600-$800 as it's still a pretty good money maker.