SotM Sept: Do-Do-Do-Do-Do-Dodonpachi

suicidekiller

Host for Orochi,
Good score for for starting off KFS.
Nice score! Keep it coming!

Thanks. Are there any obvious scoring possibilities in the first levels? Also what do the growing plants on stage 2 and 4 do? I suppose they increase your score but how is it done? Hover over them? Any other basic beginner strategies noobs should be aware of? I wonder how close you have to be to an enemy to get a big star for killing it (for instance those four guys after level 1 midboss give different star rewards, but I haven't figured yet how to milk them best).

It might speed up your progress, but do you really want to be lumped together with filthy gaijin? :make_fac:

LOL :lolz:

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
It's all about the HIT counter aka chaining the enemies. It involved mostly using laser on big enemies, sometimes the smaller ones, then using shot in short timed bursts to keep enemies alive just long enough so the HIT bar doesn't fully deplete and reset. Pros chain entire stages, I'm terrible at chaining though.

Another fairly significant bonus is having full bombs, and then grabbing another which instead of giving you a bomb, sends you into MAXIMUM mode which makes your score go up constantly. Thing is if you are using bombs it won't amount to much.

The stars and flowers (hold laser over them) are barely anything in comparison to chaining and MAX bonus.

suicidekiller

Host for Orochi,
Yeah, 10 million points plus I reached stage 5 for the first time. Just threw all my bombs on that disgusting level 4 boss ^^
Next up is kuze's score...

suicidekiller - 11,192,730 - 1-5 - A/Shot - 162 - SAT

p1020605tss18.jpg

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
Good stuff! Let's shoot for that second extend this month, should totally be attainable. :vik:

suicidekiller

Host for Orochi,
Progressing... thanks chempop for the hint with C/Shot. I didn't bother playing with this ship since you can't really power it up on the first level. But it comes pretty handy for the later levels when you've got full power up. Level 3 is a piece of cake with that ship. I even made it to stage 6 this run, yay

Next up is the second extend...

suicidekiller - 18,762,380 - 1-6 - C/Shot - 169 - SAT

img_20160906_10265076j9a.jpg

Chempop

Wow, fast progress! You almost hit the second extend which would have given you 6 more bombs! :buttrock:

_rm_

Bead Banger
10 Year Member
Since i've updated my laptop to Windows 10 i can't get it to sync with my cab. But this month i simply could not let it pass...

After many tries and no solution, i remembered my Extrons. Just look at the F$%&ING MESS i had to do in order to participate. This is love my friends,lol:

21lvkg8.jpg

A chain with 3 different hardwares and 5 cables later, i was able to spend my first credit with each ship in 15Khz glory. Here it is :buttrock:

167rvc4.jpg

_rm_ - 12,276,710 - 1-5 - B/Shot - 125 - MAME

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Very nice _rm_. I know that struggle... I finally got my MAME rig hooked back up too. I'm running 31khz with emulated scanlines but since the game is a true 320x240 it looks just fine in 640x480 with the right options.

Looks like we're about the same score wise for now. Looking forward to another friendly match :)

skate323k137 - 10,621,720 - 1-4 - C/Laser - 150 - MAME

Spoiler:
ddp-sept.jpg

Last edited:

Chempop

Glad to see some more scores guys, keep em coming!

_rm_

Bead Banger
10 Year Member
Looks like we're about the same score wise for now. Looking forward to another friendly match :)

Always a pleasure pal :)

Looks like i'm the only one that did better with Type B. But i only tried them once, so not sure...

I completely suck at chaining, what do you guys think is the best combo for survival play?

nug

B. Jenet's Firstmate
fd5d170b0956ba1c5cc1c82de6ef126b.jpg

I just want to 1cc this! Having fun though!

Question on chaining:
When the numbers change from red, I can't seem to get it counting again even when I'm killing enemies?

I also noticed that sometimes enemies drop the big stars, and other times they don't. What controls that?

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
Question on chaining:
When the numbers change from red, I can't seem to get it counting again even when I'm killing enemies?

I also noticed that sometimes enemies drop the big stars, and other times they don't. What controls that?

Good stuff, nice job making it to the first extend!

Using shot instead of laser will boost your gauge and start another chain much more quickly.

I believe you get the big stars depending on how quickly you kill enemies, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

On the last part of stage 3, make sure to destroy the side pods on the battleship without bombing to get the hidden 1up. At least, I think that's the requirement.

nug

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Good stuff, nice job making it to the first extend!

Using shot instead of laser will boost your gauge and start another chain much more quickly.

I believe you get the big stars depending on how quickly you kill enemies, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

On the last part of stage 3, make sure to destroy the side pods on the battleship without bombing to get the hidden 1up. At least, I think that's the requirement.
I figured out that some big ships drop the big stars if you wait until they get near the bottom to kill them.

What does the color of the chain numbers signify? Red and Yellow appear to be good, blue and green not so much. When the chain numbers get that color I can't seem to get it going again

nug

B. Jenet's Firstmate
http://www.world-of-arcades.net

Info here that might help.

Nug, what hardware are you playing on? You might want to try another ship, A-Shot isn't exactly the best.
Thanks, I'll check it out! I'm playing on mame.

I noticed if I use laser and keep the button pressed, as long as I'm hitting something the counter goes up. Is that how is works?

Also, a breakdown of the colors on the chain counter would help a ton. I've seen yellow, red, green, and blue...

suicidekiller

Host for Orochi,
Red is the color you need to know - it indicates your chain is still hot ;)
Green, Blue and Yellow appear once your chain is broken, so it won't increase anymore. Maybe there are more colors if you manage to get a 300 plus chain, but that's something I haven't done yet.

nug

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Red is the color you need to know - it indicates your chain is still hot ;)
Green, Blue and Yellow appear once your chain is broken, so it won't increase anymore. Maybe there are more colors if you manage to get a 300 plus chain, but that's something I haven't done yet.
So when the chain is broken, it's impossible to get it ticking again, it just starts over? Does switching shots mid chain affect it? Or is it just if you wait too long between shots it stops?

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
So when the chain is broken, it's impossible to get it ticking again, it just starts over? Does switching shots mid chain affect it? Or is it just if you wait too long between shots it stops?

There's a meter on the top left of the screen that is rapidly depleting. Shooting things or hitting larger enemies with the laser fills/sustains it. Once it runs out, chain is broken and you're done.

Been working on some runs myself but I have a ways to go. Will post pics shortly.

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
egg_sanwich - 11,136,910 - 1-4 - C/laser - 159 hits - pcb

My high score table is having some graphics issues, so here's a messy screenshot.

30697012c72c6fccc173b83096c3ba54.jpg

Chempop

Really happy to see more scores coming in guys! Don't be afraid to post, hop in chat if you need a few pointers. I'm in and out between scrubbing my kitchen and bathroom floors and wanking off over the Garegga PS4 release info.:make_fac:

city41

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
Here's my first entry

city41 - 17,902,090 - 1-5 - C/shot - 227 hits - pcb

AbEKODMl.jpg

city41

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
So the first set of flowers on stage two. The ones off to the right, just the small set on top of the building that can get destroyed, do they give a bonus? I can't hover over them long enough to tell.

For me max bomb is the only way I'm getting any points, I am just terrible at chaining (and I don't find chaining very interesting to boot...).

Chempop

Yes you can laser or use shot on the flowers, it's not a very big bonus though.

city41

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
If you just stay by the flowers, they are like the pigs in Batsugun Special. About 300,000ish points?

Anyway

City41 - 21,249,350 - 1-5 - C/shot - 164 - PCB

qChXEVQl.jpg

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
First try on this in a long time, gonna be a long road ahead but what the heck
BallzdeepX - 7,878,140 - 1-4 - C/Laser 135 - PSX
Fve9ALZ.jpg