SOTM November: Galaga '88

c0nn0r

If I could have, My time back, I'd keep it in ma'
10 Year Member
I fired up XM6 Pro-68k emulator and popped in Galaga '88. I was right, the music is quite nice - at least at the loading screen there is a nice arranged version of the theme song. There is an 'arrange' option in the menu, but I don't see how it's affecting the sound. Perhaps I need to change settings from internal FM Synth, to an external MIDI device. X68000 is cool like that.

A major difference in the game is the bonus 'Galactic dancin' sections. There is new music, and the patterns have changed (for the worse). Also there are some new enemies in the bonus section for some reason. Nice to see though.

My score sucks right now, as I can't get rapid-fire to work yet.

c0nn0r - 60,200 - 2/5

Screenshot (140).png

Screenshot (135).png

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Yeah, I was wondering about that myself... later in the game the first line is always build up with temporarily indestructible enemies and apparently hitting them during that period doesn't count as "miss". You keep auto-firing with your big-booty-assed tripple and you either hit their shields or something vulnerable, so you hardly miss, i.e. your shots hardy ever fly through. This boosts up the ratio.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
Hmm, I never made the connection of waiting for the "pawn" ship to get into the formation and wait on them to split into the 4 mini's for bonus points...seems like milking...

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
It is milking. It also is exactly the same video I used to get better, except I didn't go for the secret bonus in any of the bonus stages and missed at least 25 grand.

c0nn0r

If I could have, My time back, I'd keep it in ma'
10 Year Member
Great SOTM guys!

Congrats to everyone who participated. I'm looking forward to hosting again next year.

Last edited: