SotM Jan 2017: Battle Garegga

c0nn0r

If I could have, My time back, I'd keep it in ma'
10 Year Member
title.gif

It has been chosen. Battle Garegga is the SotM for January, 2017.

Official rules:

One Credit Only.

(PCB/MAME) Factory Default = Difficulty 4 | Ships 3 | Extend 1 million
(PCB:Zakk/MAME:Zakk) Zakk = Difficulty 4 | Ships 3 | Extend 1 million
(Saturn) Arcade mode = Difficulty 4 | Ships 3 | Extend 1 million
(PS4) Premium/Arrange mode
2-player: One Credit each only. Same settings as above. Add scores of player 1 and player 2.

Unofficial Premium/Arrange rules:

(PS4) ??? Same as above. I don't have this version. Can someone report in with proper settings?​

Post scores in this format: Name | Score | Stage | Ship | Version (PCB/MAME/Saturn/PS4)

Official Leaderboard

1st: Chempop - 9,512,490 - 7 - Gain(c) - PS4 Arcade Mode
2nd: Tonk - 7,091,570 - ? - Gain - ?
3rd: Kidpanda - 5,321,190 - Stage 6 - Golden Bat - PCB
4th: c0nn0r - 2,992,800 - Stage 3 - Golden Bat - Saturn
4th:
.​

Official 2-player Leaderboard:

1st:
2nd:
3rd:
4th:
.​

Unofficial PS4 Premium/Arrange Leaderboard

1st: Chempop - I,854,030 - All - Gain(c) - PS4 ARRANGE
2nd: Kidpanda - 7,659,850 - Stage 7 - Golden Bat - PS4 ARRANGE
3rd: Skat72 - 4,587,490 - Stage 5 - ? - PS4 PREMIUM
4th:
.​

Tricks and Goodies:

Movestrip:

HD file here (forget where I found it)​

Bonus Aircraft (Arcade/Saturn):

At the title screen press Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, Start.​

Simplified English TATE menu (Saturn)

Go to the options screen and press L or R to enter another menu. Turn the second option to On.​

Secondary Aircraft (Arcade/Saturn/PS4?):

When choosing your aircraft, press all three action buttons at the same time. Your chosen aircraft will have upgraded abilities (e.g. faster) and will have a new name (e.g. Wild Snail becomes Golden Bat)​

Last edited:

c0nn0r

10 Year Member
First run through on my newly Tate'd NAC. Feelsgoodman.

IMG_1814.JPG

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
When choosing your aircraft, press all three action buttons at the same time. Your chosen aircraft will have upgraded abilities (e.g. faster) and will have a new name (e.g. Wild Snail becomes Golden Bat)​

What?! How did I not know this?

Nice first score. :vik:

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Kidpanda - 5,321,190 - Stage 6 - Golden Bat - PCB

a45f597f10fc5a219a0010ff504ac1dc.jpg

Kidpanda - 7,659,850 - Stage 7 - Golden Bat - PS4 ARRANGE

9155487f7d3bed695814346f93b04205.jpg

Last edited:

c0nn0r

10 Year Member
What?! How did I not know this?

Nice first score. :vik:

Yup! The first way I found out there were alternate versions of the main fighters is when you let the ship choice happen via a timeout on the selection screen. eg. timeout on Wild Snail, and it will engage as Golden Bat.

Also - score update! Broke 2 million. Nothing compared to Kidpanda's achievement, but I hope to steadily increase in score as the month goes on.

score.jpg

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
I do like this new fangled arrange mode :)

Chempop - I,854,030 - All - Gain(c) - PS4 ARRANGE

31917252482_68e339507a_c.jpg

Chempop

That's an I, not a 1. I think I = 18?

Correct, thanks for pointing that out :vik:

What's funny is that the scoreboard displays it as a "B" score because it uses the original PCB system which uses weird characters for 10-16 mil iirc, so "A" score starts at 17 mil (where an A score in the in-game score box would only be 10 mil).

THOSE CRAZY YAGAWIANS :lolz:

Last edited:

c0nn0r

10 Year Member
That's an I, not a 1. I think I = 18?

Weird. I noticed it was an I, but i figured it had to be a typo. I've reverted it back to I in the leaderboard.

Chempop

1st: Kidpanda - 7,659,850 - Stage 7 - Golden Bat - PS4 ARRANGE
2nd: Chempop - I,854,030 - All - Gain(c) - PS4 ARRANGE

:spock:

I is higher than 7 by about 11.

Chempop

Also - score update! Broke 2 million.

Are you suiciding twice and bombing the flamingos? You should be able to get close to 2 mil just from that which is within the first 3-4 minutes of the game.

Scoring well on madball (st2 boss) is a bit harder with Golden Bat but try to have your medals maxed and a bomb fragment ready for st3 because the very beginning of the stage has a central rail that needs to be bombed (literally as soon as st3 starts) to uncover a PILE of medals. Keep bomb ing the ground there for more medals and by the st3 boss you should have broke your high score. Good luck! :)

c0nn0r

10 Year Member
Are you suiciding twice and bombing the flamingos? You should be able to get close to 2 mil just from that which is within the first 3-4 minutes of the game.

Scoring well on madball (st2 boss) is a bit harder with Golden Bat but try to have your medals maxed and a bomb fragment ready for st3 because the very beginning of the stage has a central rail that needs to be bombed (literally as soon as st3 starts) to uncover a PILE of medals. Keep bomb ing the ground there for more medals and by the st3 boss you should have broke your high score. Good luck! :)

I have to confirm, but I think I was getting close to 2 million (about 1.8 million) from bombing the flamingos, but not doing the suicide trick to get the last life extra full bombs. I've been trying to do that, as I heard you can get close to 5 million with just that trick.

I'm getting only about 2.3 million still. I guess I really need to keep up the medal chains, or finally get that 5 million flamingo trick to work.

Trick: Be on your last life, and bomb the flamingos. Die just before your score meter hits 1 million. Even if you are dead, and the score keeps rising to past 1 million you get the free life, and you get to keep playing without game over, and will have full bombs on your next life. Is this the same trick you are talking about?

It's quite hard to maintain a medal chain with Golden Bat. It's the slowest plane in the game, but by far the best main gun. I keep trying to play with whatever the golden version of Silver Sword is called, but I'm not feeling it yet. I wonder which aircraft will bring me the personal high score. I think if I memorize the medal chain locations, I will be able to keep them up with Golden Bat more consistently.

Last edited:

Chempop

Ok, so you are doing fine on the birds, I wouldn't bother with the suicide final life 'resurrection trick'.

A common place for Golden Bat to drop medals is when the biggish tank appears and there are those flyers on the far left and right sides. Focus on one side and ignore the other. Just get the hang of when the medals drop, or if you are playing the PS4 version glance at the gadget that tell you what item is coming next.

c0nn0r

10 Year Member
Ok, so you are doing fine on the birds, I wouldn't bother with the suicide final life 'resurrection trick'.

A common place for Golden Bat to drop medals is when the biggish tank appears and there are those flyers on the far left and right sides. Focus on one side and ignore the other. Just get the hang of when the medals drop, or if you are playing the PS4 version glance at the gadget that tell you what item is coming next.

You are spot on. I've been dropping at that 2nd level tank. If I can maintain through the tank I will clean up on the medals on the 3rd level. 4th level has tonnes of medals as well if you bomb the small tank bunkers.

It's a nice feeling getting that 10k medal ;-)

c0nn0r

10 Year Member
Just thinking, it would be great to someday have a 2-player leader-board on a SOTM. Add score from both players after one credit. Could be a cool and fun addition to the club!

Hey, best time to start is now right? - I'll add a 2player leaderboard to the first post.

c0nn0r

10 Year Member
Are Zakk ROM's allowed?

That should be OK. The Zakk ROMs patch the PCB to bring functionality similar to SEGA Saturn version with respect to Rank being reset on new game rather than having to power-cycle the PCB.

Official Zakk ROM settings will be the same as the PCB/MAME: Factory Default = Difficulty 4 | Ships 3 | Extend 1 million, but you will have to mention Zakk ROMs

eg: Tonk - X,XXX,XXX - Stage X - X - PCB:Zakk

Got it?

TonK

Least Valuable Player
Bullets are also easier to see.

That should be OK. The Zakk ROMs patch the PCB to bring functionality similar to SEGA Saturn version with respect to Rank being reset on new game rather than having to power-cycle the PCB.

Official Zakk ROM settings will be the same as the PCB/MAME: Factory Default = Difficulty 4 | Ships 3 | Extend 1 million, but you will have to mention Zakk ROMs

eg: Tonk - X,XXX,XXX - Stage X - X - PCB:Zakk

Got it?

c0nn0r

10 Year Member
Bullets are also easier to see.

Hmm. OK. Thanks for being honest. I'll have to review some pics to see how much of a difference. If they are big and pink we may have to put it in it's own category like the PS4.

Can you share some pics of the Zakk version in action for comparison?

TonK

Least Valuable Player
Hmm. OK. Thanks for being honest. I'll have to review some pics to see how much of a difference. If they are big and pink we may have to put it in it's own category like the PS4.

Can you share some pics of the Zakk version in action for comparison?

Prolly by weeks end.

Chempop

Might as well make a scoreboard for each player

:keke:

Chempop

Not sure, never owned the PCB. Taiwan maybe?