So I got a new iPod Touch

-Hibikster-

Bead Banger
I love this thing. It just flows so smoothly with everything it does and is real fun to work with..reason I picked one up is because I got it for a really good deal.

My only complaint is how stupid iTunes is when it comes to categorizing music and what not...my albums are all over the place. Why can't it be a bit more intuitive?

Besides that, I can see myself using this thing a lot...now for those people who already own iPod Touch/iPhones....can you recommend for me some good apps? I have no real preference...I just wanna load this thing up with them so I can always have something to do.

Keep in mind that I'm a stingy bastard and free is always preferred.

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
What do you mean all over the place?

They should either be sorted by Album alphabetically or by Artist (and Album Artist)

-Hibikster-

Bead Banger
See I'm familiar with my files by their file names (that's how I have them sorted on my computer)...is there a way that I can edit the Album/Artist on each file so that it would sort them accordingly on this unit?

It's not just with this, I had the same problem with the Zune as well...I guess I'm not familiar with how these things sort the music.

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
See I'm familiar with my files by their file names (that's how I have them sorted on my computer)...is there a way that I can edit the Album/Artist on each file so that it would sort them accordingly on this unit?

It's not just with this, I had the same problem with the Zune as well...I guess I'm not familiar with how these things sort the music.

Are you even using iTunes on your computer to sync with?

If you're not, thats probably your problem.

It sounds like your ID3 tags are all missing information.

-Hibikster-

Bead Banger
I am using iTunes. And what the hell is an ID3 tag?

(Remember I'm completely new at this whole MP3 shennanigans).

Anyways, I'm more interested in getting apps on this thing for now...anyone using some good apps they'd like to share some info on?

Last edited:

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
Go into your list view really quick. Go into View > View Options.

Make sure you have the following turned on: Disk Number, Track Number, Artist, Album Artist (this is important for albums that have multiple artists), Album.

Especially make sure that your Disc Number and Album Artists are filled out.

Album artist works like this: Say you have the Kill Bill Soundtrack. Every song is by a different artist. You fill out the original artist in the Artist column and then put Various Artists in the Album Artist. This will ensure that they will show up in the same album when you sync with your iPod.

Also make sure youre selecting the WHOLE album when you edit values that affect an an entire album (disc number, artist, album artist.)

HeartlessNinny

Heartlessness is a virtue
Yeah, I find that iTunes organizes my music very, very well, but only if you actually fill in all the info (naturally).

-Hibikster-

Bead Banger
Yea that's what I should probably do. Thanks for the tips.

So any suggestions on apps? I already downloaded a few which seem to be really nice.