Sega NAOMI, help me get started with arcade hardware

lordnikon

Another Striker
I am an avid Dreamcast player. My DC collection now sits at over 220 game releases, with a roughly 50/50 split between Japanese and North American releases. I own almost every home console NAOMI port, spanning not only the Dreamcast but other platforms as well.

I am running out of console games to buy so I am setting my sights on getting a NAOMI. I have reasons for doing this. Please don't repond with "Lol just stay with the Dreamcast". Since I track down and own most console NAOMI ports, I am well aware of the availability of NAOMI games on home systems. I want to get a NAOMI for some arcade exclusives, and a few titles which feature higher texture resolutions.

What do I need to play NAOMI games? I am not planning on putting the unit into a CAB right now. I wanted to hook it up via VGA.

From what I have read there are quite a few components needed. What hardware do I need? I am looking for the simplest option possible.

NAOMI + VGA Monitor + Stereo Out + Controller (Dreamcast? Arcade Panel?)

Also, I was checking out some goods on Coinopexpress, are they a reputable dealer?

I would really appreciate any advice you guys could give.

Thanks,
-Ben

billd420

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
10 Year Member
Hey Ben,

Great choice on getting a Naomi, its one of my favorite arcade setups.

As RGP said, sega-naomi.com is a wonderful source of info on the system.

Here is a quick list of hardware you will need:

*Naomi Motherboard
*I/O Interface board (the capcom version has a power inverter for car based games, and an on board audio amp)
*Audio amplifier (if you use the Sega I/O)
*3.3v Power supply (if you use the Sega I/O, or wish to play GDRom games)

The initial investment is pretty steep, however the games are relatively inexpensive. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions on the hardware.

-Bill

lordnikon

Another Striker
Yea I have been to sega-naomi.com and read a lot of material on their site. However the information is so scattered. It basically dumps out information about every NAOMI component, but doesn't specify what someone would need for different setups. It seems there are a variety of ways one could get setup with playing NAOMI games, which is why I asking here. I will obviously use sega-naomi.com as a reference point for detailed information. However at the moment I am looking to get pointed in the right direct as far as what I need to buy.

billd420, you state that getting into NAOMI is expensive? How expensive? If we are talking like 600-700 for a complete setup and 1 game, that is no problem.

I want to play carts as well as GD-ROM's.
I want to hook the unit up to a VGA Monitor.
I want to run stereo out.
I would like to hook up a Dreamcast Controller / Arcade stick to the unit. Isn't this possible with a Capcom I/O board?

Are most games dependent on a default control scheme? Meaning to play a racing game you would need a racing wheel / pedal setup / cab to play it right?

Would getting a "NAOMI KIT" solve all of this? I see some kits for sale at coinopexpress, are these people reliable? I am looking to get everything I need at once, rather than piecing this together over time.

-Ben

taitai

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
getting setup with a NAOMI isn't as dumb as you'd think. If you've got the cash, NAOMI can be swapped out for any other JVS board setup.

A supergun + I/O board can handle input, and the NAOMI has VGA and stereo audio out on the motherboard. The only thing you'd need is a beefy power supply though.

lordnikon

Another Striker
* puzzled * I never said getting a NAOMI was dumb. I am looking to buy a NAOMI. Maybe you misread something in my post.

taitai

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
lordnikon said:
* puzzled * I never said getting a NAOMI was dumb. I am looking to buy a NAOMI. Maybe you misread something in my post.

err, no i meant that anyone who thinks that having a near complete DC collection and starting a NAOMI collection is redundant isn't that dumb.

Double up a supergun with a better PSU and you'll be there.

brumma

NEST Puppet
You should definitely be able to get started for $600-700. You'll need the following if you want to run GD-ROMs and carts:

- motherboard
- I/O board (Sega rev.B or Capcom)
- DIMM board
- GD-ROM drive
- power supply
- supergun or control panel
- cables

Motherboard
You should check the lists in the reference section of Sega-Naomi.com to make sure that the motherboard contains a bios capable of supporting the GD-ROM. This isn't really a big deal, as the bios is changeable and there are guys who will burn you a new bios for about $30. The motherboard has built in VGA output as well as non-amplified stereo audio. If your monitor supports 640x480 at 31kHz, then your good to go in that aspect (although some incompatibilities have been reported). The stereo sound is via 2 standard RCA jacks.

I/O Board
You can get the Capcom I/O board which has it's own power supply, but it's not powerful enough to run the GD-ROM drive. It also has built-in audio amplifier, but if you're planning on using powered computer speakers or your stereo receiver then you do not need an audio amp.

The other option is the Sega I/O board. Make sure you get the JAMMA version, not the JVS one. In addition, try to get a rev.B since it fixes a few bugs. It does not have a built-in power supply or audio amp, but if you're running the GD-ROM drive then you will need a separate power supply anyway.

DIMM Board and GD-ROM Drive
These are a set. The DIMM board plugs into the cartridge port and contains RAM. The GD-ROM drive reads the disk and feeds the info into RAM, at which point there is no further loading.

Power Supply
You will need a power supply able to output +3.3v, +5v, and +12v at around 200 watts. This can either be a dedicated Sega power supply, or an ATX computer power supply. If you opt to go with the computer power supply, you will need to have a wire harness/convertor to go from the power supply to the motherboard, GD-ROM and I/O board (if you use the Sega I/O board).

You could also use the supergun's power supply coupled with another power supply. The important part is making sure it can supply the required voltages and that you can get cables made up. There are a couple people that can do this for you as well.

Controls
If you decide to use a supergun, then you need to make sure it has been wired for 5-button support. If you want to play any Capcom fighting games, then you will need a kick harness as well. Personally, I chose to wire my own controls--I just hooked up a couple of db15 ports to a JAMMA harness along with buttons for coins, test, service, etc. Just a note--the Sega I/O board also has 6-button button support (5 from the JAMMA edge and the other from another connector).

You cannot use standard DC controllers. You can use Neo-Geo controllers, or any other joystick meant to be used with a supergun. You can also modify any existing joystick by basically yanking out the PCB and rewiring it. I use two modified Agetec DC sticks.

There are other options like arcade control panels, but you'll need to get that info from someone else as I don't have any experience with those.

Cables
You will need power cables to go from the power supply to the motherboard and GD-ROM drive (these usually come with their respective components). As mentioned before, if you use an ATX PSU, then you'll need a simple converter. The I/O can draw power from a supergun through the JAMMA edge, or from the main PSU via a connector on the I/O board. If you use the connector then you need that cable as well.

You'll need a standard 15-pin VGA cable (usually comes with the motherboard) as well as a SCSI cable that runs from the DIMM board to the GD-ROM drive (usually comes with those).

Well, that's as much as I can think of. I hope it helps a bit. I've probably forgotten to mention some things, so the rest of you guys feel free to contribute and/or correct any errors.

Cheers,

lordnikon

Another Striker
brumma, thanks for the indepth post. Like where you said I don't need an AMP if I intend to hook my NAOMI up to a reciever, this is exactly the type of information I was looking for. I already have a receiver that I can hook up the stereo audio cables to. So now I know that buying an AMP is not required for my purposes.

Does anyone have any recommendations on where to buy this stuff? I want to avoid buying it piece by piece. The main game I want to get this for is Outtrigger. Coinopexpress has a complete outtrigger kit with what looks like everything I will need including the control panel. I am sure the shipping will be a couple hundred bucks. However, I don't think I will be able to find the game and its control panel, along with each other piece I need individually. My final goal is to own 2 NAOMI board rom setups, with outtrigger in each, networked.

My main option right now is to buy the complete outtrigger kit, and then get a GD-ROM / DIMM later on.

If anyone has any other online shops, or recommendations on where to track this stuff down, please let me know.

Also, I am not an electrician. I have little experience with repairing electronics. I know arcade hardware can be finicky, and may require repair. So I am looking to get working hardware in my posession, rather than partially working hardware that needs fixing even it is "simple" to person with decent electrical repair experience.

Fish_Monger

Another Striker
lordnikon said:
I am an avid Dreamcast player. My DC collection now sits at over 220 game releases, with a roughly 50/50 split between Japanese and North American releases. I own almost every home console NAOMI port, spanning not only the Dreamcast but other platforms as well.

I am running out of console games to buy so I am setting my sights on getting a NAOMI. I have reasons for doing this. Please don't repond with "Lol just stay with the Dreamcast". Since I track down and own most console NAOMI ports, I am well aware of the availability of NAOMI games on home systems. I want to get a NAOMI for some arcade exclusives, and a few titles which feature higher texture resolutions.

What do I need to play NAOMI games? I am not planning on putting the unit into a CAB right now. I wanted to hook it up via VGA.

From what I have read there are quite a few components needed. What hardware do I need? I am looking for the simplest option possible.

NAOMI + VGA Monitor + Stereo Out + Controller (Dreamcast? Arcade Panel?)

Also, I was checking out some goods on Coinopexpress, are they a reputable dealer?

I would really appreciate any advice you guys could give.

Thanks,
-Ben

WWW.GOOGLE.COM

brumma

NEST Puppet
I believe the Naomi version of Outtrigger uses a specialized control panel. I've never played it personally, but I've read that the control scheme uses a trackball to control the view in addition to a joystick and buttons. It is a ROM cartridge though, so you could skip the GD-ROM setup for now if you want.

You might also look at www.excellentcom.net for a setup. You'll need to get on their mailing list to get an up-to-date pricelist though since the 'products' section of the website doesn't work. I've bought from them a few times and had good luck. I think you will find that opinions vary on any of the retailers. Do a search here or browse through older posts for other opinions.

I'm not an electrician either. In fact, this project was my first attempt at soldering. I used to watch my dad (he an engineer at McDonnell-Douglass) when I was a kid, and he would always warn me not to touch the soldering iron because it would 'burn the hide ride off' of me. I have always been afraid to try it. In the end, I just did a lot of research before starting and then dove in. Soldering's not that difficult--just be patient.

Cheers,

-brumma

Berty

Zero's Secretary
20 Year Member
brumma said:
I believe the Naomi version of Outtrigger uses a specialized control panel. I've never played it personally, but I've read that the control scheme uses a trackball to control the view in addition to a joystick and buttons. It is a ROM cartridge though, so you could skip the GD-ROM setup for now if you want....

Sorry to say that the game wont boot without the panel. It has its own unique little IO board mounted under the panel.

lordnikon

Another Striker
Ok guys I need some serious assistance. I have been reading up on arcade hardware, JAMMA, and asking questions at various forums. Both the descriptions I have been reading, and the replies I have been getting (especially at sega-naomi.com forums where I got the RTFM spiel) have been very vague and start shooting off into tangents that don't necessarily relate to what I am trying to do.

So I am back to this thread to seek help. Lets review where I am at right now.

Here is the hardware I have coming:

2x NAOMI Motherboard
1x CAPCOM I/O Board with cables
1x power supply
1x audio amp
1x sega I/O (not JAMMA)
1x joystick and buttons (standalone parts)
1x ROM Board, Spawn: In the Demon's Hand

Here is a picture of the goods I bought from HBCoffin.

This is a description of what I am trying to setup:

Two NAOMI setups in a consolized environment (meaning no cab), networked, connected outputting video to PC Monitors.

The primary games I will be running on these are:
Spawn: In the Demon's Hand
Outtrigger

Unresolved issues:
Power - From what I have gathered, I do not have a way to plug any of this into the wall. The cab what supplies a power plug, and I currently do not have a way to power any of this hardware. Is this accurate? Also, what are my options for powering these setups?

Controls - One option I have explored is a supergun, which would let me connect the Capcom I/O or a Sega I/O + JAMMA harness (i think) to the supergun. Then I could use NeoGeo sticks for SPAWN. Is this description correct?

What are my other options for controls?
How do standalone control panels such as the one for Outtrigger connect to the NAOMI? Does it require a middleman device? or can I hook it right into the NAOMI motherboard via a connector? The main reason why I am asking this is because I am not setting these up in a cab and want to be sure I can hook up the Outtrigger panel.

---

So that is pretty much where I am at right now. I need clarrification on controls and power. If you spot anything I missed, that would prevent me from setting up my NAOMI's how I want, please feel free to comment.

Berty

Zero's Secretary
20 Year Member
Games that require analogue controls require the Sega IO as I dont believe that the Capom IO has the correct inputs. If you are doing a head to head set-up then you will obviosuly need two of everything, including the fibre optic link boards as well as two TOS-Link cables (might be called something different in the US).

I have the SUN psu on one of my set-ups and i just cut the AC power line off and hooked up a normal wall outlet plug to it. You dont need to worry about your AC neutral and active as the PSU will work fine either way.

As far as controls go, then you could use a supergun and a neo stick. Alternatively, you could just buy a jamma harness and hack the controls to a DB15 connector as Video and power are not handled by the supergun in your case.