Sega Naomi Compact Flash ... why?

VidKidz

n00b
I'm trying to figure out what makes the CF setup worth the money. Why not just netboot and save the money that you would be spending on the CF reader and the cards..? Is there something that I am missing?

Thx

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
CF is the way to go on location.

No loading and network interruptions.

It's the same as a GD-Rom.

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
Faster, no net connection needed, quick swap of games, more reliable and less clutter.

It's all around a better solution.

bryan

Geese's Thug
I have asked this in another thread but still have not got any responses. Does any one know where to purchase a good CF adapter besides the ebay guy. I really need one for a big blue at my mom's. I use the GD Rom Drive at home but don't want that setup at my mom's house. I do already have a 4.2 net dimm so I am set there. I will probably want to get one soon but I have bought a dimm battery from toplez or what ever his name is and it only lasted a day or so and I know other people where complaining about his CF stuff too.

Last edited:

pipes

DO NOT DEAL WITH!!!, DEAL OUTSTANDING!
I'm pretty sure Giz10p has them.

leonk

Marked Wolf
Faster, no net connection needed, quick swap of games, more reliable and less clutter.

It's all around a better solution.

Not sure about that. For home usage NetBoot is faster and doesn't require you to open the machine for game switching if you got it setup right. My goal has always been to fit a mame PC and full NetBoot into a new astro city with simple toggle switch between video/control/audio. I got it all fit but ran into an issue, it seems one needs to keep video cables as short as possible or noise is picked up (even in expensive VGA cables). Goal is to have hyperspin change NetBoot games, flip the switch and you got naomi running the NAC rather than mame PC. Switch back to select a diff game.

bryan

Geese's Thug
I'm pretty sure Giz10p has them.

That is the official Sega stuff too it seems. I would like to go that route but I don't like the idea of sending $600 of GD ROMs to them to convert. Why do they need my GD Roms? I am not trying to pirate and would gladly still use my security pics when I switch cards if needed.

leonk

Marked Wolf
A lot of these games are over a decade old! Does SEGA even care about Naomi anymore???

codecrank

Whip's Subordinate
10 Year Member
Does any one know where to purchase a good CF adapter besides the ebay guy.

I've never seen actual sega units... only knock-offs. if you buy them from his site, he'll throw in a game & pic : http://summittarcade.com/NaomiChihiroTriforce.html

Now, CF vs Netboot , my 2 cents

- The transfer rate of the CF card is faster than a 100Mb network interface, but having to swap the card & PIC makes that irrelevant.
- The CF solution is independent of anything else. no need for a pc , switch, etc.
- The CF solution is nice if you don't play the game often, after a week, your dimm board battery is dead.
- Netbooting is faster if your cab is always plugged in your network and have a computer always ready to push the game.
- Netbooting is cheaper. no CF card & pic per game needed. dump & decrypt all your gd-roms using a dreamcast & PC ( or find the patched dumps online ).
- Netbooting is a lot more convenient if you switch games often.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
My current Netbooting is a bit complicated, where i have to set everything up & make sure my laptop is plugged in w/ the crossover cable. Then type in the game i want to play...Its a bit of a hassle & people who is not into this arcade stuff would have a hard time playing the game they want. For me its not a real problem & i can probably getting a better software & do this wireless to make even easier but im too lazy at the moment.

CF i have is just plug n play. All you need to do is power up your arcade cab. If you want a different game just remove the CF card & put another, its like putting in a DS game. Its simple solution. You dont need to have a pic per game since its universal. My only problem is that i dont know how to make other CF games, i dont feel like paying the guy $25 per CF game. Does anyone got the software?

Anyway, the sad thing is i dont even play my Naomi anymore. Once i found out how to netboot & then i bought a CF for some reason my urge to play Naomi games stop...

VidKidz

n00b
Thanks guys - I thought perhaps I was missing something, apparently not.

I've looked into the wireless bridge option but haven't pulled the trigger as I have a laptop that I plug the Naomi into to game transfer -- the bridge is just another cost I don't really need to incur.

Last edited:

pipes

I've never seen actual sega units... only knock-offs. if you buy them from his site, he'll throw in a game & pic : http://summittarcade.com/NaomiChihiroTriforce.html

Will the game cards from summitt arcade work on the official Sega CF units? I'm interested in this because I've already had one GD ROM drive crap out on me. I would prefer to get a Sega reader but I'm not interested in shipping all my games to the UK and then being charged 30 GBP per game to convert them on to the CF cards. $25 per game from summitt doesn't seem too bad considering if I sell all my GD-ROM games I could easily pay for that and probably the Sega CF reader too.

Last edited:

bryan

Geese's Thug
^ I had the same idea about getting the official Sega CF reader and using other cards on a 4.02 Net Dimm. I did not have the same thought about selling my GD Roms though, I still like the official stuff that is why I kinda want the Sega CF. You could try using a Dreamcast to fix you GD Rom drive maybe. In theory the Sega CF reader should work with other cards and you should not need the PIC as long as you are at 4.02. Another theory is that you could use other cards with the PIC on 4.01. Again my own theory. Can any one confirm this?

I found that AGS sells them http://triplemoonstar.brinkster.net/theshed/default.asp?stockid=2327 and you don't have to ship your games, but you do have to have proof of ownership, no problem for me but the and/or trading of cart games has me worried. I may ask what that is about. Do they want your cart games as a trade in?

I still find it funny that Sega promoted the Sega CF for dead or dying GD Drives, but if yours is dead how can you use the 4.01 update disc?

Oh and you can sell your GD discs to me in a month or so. :D

Last edited:

pipes

I found that AGS sells them http://triplemoonstar.brinkster.net/theshed/default.asp?stockid=2327 and you don't have to ship your games, but you do have to have proof of ownership, no problem for me but the and/or trading of cart games has me worried. I may ask what that is about. Do they want your cart games as a trade in?

I still find it funny that Sega promoted the Sega CF for dead or dying GD Drives, but if yours is dead how can you use the 4.01 update disc?

Oh and you can sell your GD discs to me in a month or so. :D

Yeah, I'm not sure what kind of proof they would need. It seems that AGS does not require you to send them your games like Giz10p because they have them all converted already. I definitely don't like the idea of a trade in though and I'm not sure how much they want per game either; I have to look into that a little more.

As for my GD drive, I already replaced it so doing the update is not a problem. I'll let you know if I'm selling. :)

Last edited:

starscream615

, m(o)(o)bs, they're awesome.
Anyone know where to download the 4.02 firmware? I'm on vaca so I finally have time to make the CF jump but I can't find the firmware anywhere so I can netboot it over. Any help would be appreciated.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
You'd think you would at least get the link right for your joke.

Oh- it's right, all right. You (and others) got the rib...and the link goes nowhere by design. You actually clicked it?

You hungry, bro?

codecrank

Whip's Subordinate
10 Year Member
Anyone know where to download the 4.02 firmware? I'm on vaca so I finally have time to make the CF jump but I can't find the firmware anywhere so I can netboot it over. Any help would be appreciated.

That's like asking for roms... btw it's not hard to find , don't make me post a lmgtfy link ;P

starscream615

, m(o)(o)bs, they're awesome.
That's like asking for roms... btw it's not hard to find , don't make me post a lmgtfy link ;P

ive been looking for two days and cant seem to find anything but dead links. I'm trying to get it because I have a powerstone cart that is suddenly not working and I'd like to have it loaded on a cf card to play.

mr_b

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
Oh- it's right, all right. You (and others) got the rib...and the link goes nowhere by design. You actually clicked it?

You hungry, bro?

I clicked the link, cause Popeye's chicken is the shizznit!