Rockman/Megaman

Eliza

Mickey's Coach
Iv always wanted to try out this series...Is it really as good as what a lot of people say...and whats the best next gen(Ps2,Gc,X-box or even the Dc) rockman game to start with:)

Thanks!

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
Eliza said:
Iv always wanted to try out this series...Is it really as good as what a lot of people say...and whats the best next gen(Ps2,Gc,X-box or even the Dc) rockman game to start with:)

Thanks!
I say just get Mega Man Anniversary Collection for PS2 or GCN and that way you get most of the good games that ever came out for Mega Man. Mega Man 1, 2 and 3 are just really classic games.

Vincere

No longer Tristesse
I'm a huge megaman fan too. :p

I'd say that X1 and Zero Series are a good glimpse of the Megaman world.
The Classic series are a little bit "rough" to start with, even if it's obviously classics.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
Tristesse said:
I'm a huge megaman fan too. :p

I'd say that X1 and Zero Series are a good glimpse of the Megaman world.
The Classic series are a little bit "rough" to start with, even if it's obviously classics.
Rough to start with? Mega Man 1-8, Battle & Fighters for only $30? I'm sorry, but you cannot beat that even if you're new to the series.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Yes get the Anv. Collection on PS2 for the proper button layout. Then get Rockman & Forte, MMX 1-7. X 1&2 on SNES/SFC, X 3-6 on PS1 and X7 is PS2 only.

I think that MM 2-8,X 1&2 are all great but the best is still Rockman and Forte on SFC.

I have not played any of the Battle Network games(which dont look like MM to me) and dont care for the GBA Zero series.

Chairman Kaga

Fio's Quartermaster
I'm not such a big fan of the anniversary collection, probably because I played the hell out of 2, 3, 5, and 6 back in the day and playing it on the ps2 doesn't feel right. It's probably a good idea to start with that though, it does a much better job than teh romz. I had a lot of fun with PS1 Megaman Legends and then Tron Bonne to a lesser extent, but both of those are probably so dated you wouldn't want to touch them. If you have a SNES, definitely get X and Soccer, unless they are coming out with an X compilation at some point.

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
do not get x3 for psx or saturn. its horrible. slowdown and stupid borders.

its best on snes/sfc and pc.

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
Maybe I'm too old school. I think mega man 2 was the pinnacle of the series and it just went down hill from there.

As far as the new megaman games go I think X4 for ps2 or saturn is incredible. Wonderful graphics and nice levels.

There are pics of X8 in the newest famitsu, it looks exactly like X7, cel shaded lameness (ive never actually tried it so I cant really talk about it....)

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
Wonderful series ... part of gaming history, just like Mario, Sonic, etc.

The first three Megaman X games for the SNES were really nice - but be prepared to pay a premium for X2 and X3. Actually, as a Neo Geo afficianado, they'll probably seem cheap! :)

As for the collection, personally I prefer the GC version. The button layout takes a little while to get used to, but it eventually becomes second nature. Also, the GC version has all the original game soundtracks - and I'm all about not messing around with what isn't broken.

Anyway, either version you get for the collection will give you tons of hours of classic gaming enjoyment - you can't really go wrong with either.

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
Eliza said:
Why would the X3 and 4 cost more?:)

X2 and X3 cost more just due to their rarity. They were released sort of late in the SNES's life cycle, during a period when basically no one cared about the system anymore ( :( ), as everyone was flocking to the next-gen systems of the day.

If you can find a sealed copy of X2 or X3 (X3 is considerably more rare), you can bet your ass you'll pay quite a premium (~$150, I'd guess, if not more).

Youkai

Hardened Shock Trooper
Damn Eliza, lol you don't know whatcha been missin' girl! :D Try ANY Megaman you can get your hands on. I recommend the Megaman Anniversary Collection for PS2/GCN if the NES/Famicom originals are hard to come by where you're at. If you got a Super NES/Super Famicom, get Rockman & Forte.

This coming from a huge Megaman collector, has actual copies of all 9 Classic MM's (R&F for Super Famicom included, doesn't mean I'm calling it Megaman 9), all 7 MMX's, Megaman X3 for import Sega Saturn, and Megaman 1-3 on Game Boy black and white. I also got Megaman and Bass on Game Boy Advance, but I'm thinking about trading it in.

About the high price tag for Mega Man X2 and X3 for SNES, I think it's the C4 graphics chip that's the culprit.

not sonic said:
do not get x3 for psx or saturn. its horrible. slowdown and stupid borders.

its best on snes/sfc and pc.

Ahhh PSX/Saturn Megaman X3 ain't all that bad, well I can only speak for Saturn, cause that's the only version of X3 from the 32-bit spectrum I've played. I don't remember running into any slowdown, but in time I eventually forgot the borders were even there. The only turn-off for me about that version is the remixed versions of the tunes that kicked ass on SNES.

Last edited:

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
just to help you out in sorting the games according to platforms:

NES

Mega Man
Mega Man 2
Mega Man 3
Mega Man 4
Mega Man 5
Mega Man 6

Gameboy (Original):

Rock Man World
Rock Man World 2
Rock Man World 3
Rock Man World 4
Rock Man World 5

SNES

Mega Man X
Mega Man X 2
Mega Man X 3

Mega Man 7
Rock Man and Forte

Mega Man Soccer (Soccer)

PSOne

Mega Man X 3 (ported from SNES)*
Mega Man X 4*
Mega Man X 5
Mega Man X 6

Mega Man 8*

Mega Man Legend (3D - RPG)**
Mega Man Legend 2 (3D RPG)

Mega Man: Battle and Chase (racing)
Rock Man: Dash (aimnig/shooting)
Rock Man: Dash 2 (aiming/Shooting)

GameBoy Advance

Mega Man Zero
Mega Man Zero 2
Mega Man Network (lots of them .... crap)

PS2

Mega Man X 7

Mega Man Anniversary

GC

Mega Man Battle Network

Mega Man Anniversary

*Also on Sega saturn
**Also on N64

I think I missed few of them. there were also Mega Man games on Genesis and GameGear, but I think they are ports/remakes of already existed titles. since there are a lot of MegaMan games, my advice is that you check roms for some of them. especially the SNES Mega Man X games. shoot me a PM if you want to find the roms.

as for recommendations, here are my favourites:

- my favourites:

Mega Man 3 (NES)
Mega Man X 1,2,3 (SNES)
Mega Man X 4 (PSOne)

- good games:

Mega Man 2 (NES)
Mega Man X5,6 (PSOne)
Mega Man 7,8 & Forte (SNES, PSOne)

stay away from all the Next-Gen Mega Man Crap. including the GBA titles. some of them may be good, but they have nothing to do with the old school games and they play completely different.

Last edited:

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
galfordo said:
As for the collection, personally I prefer the GC version. The button layout takes a little while to get used to, but it eventually becomes second nature. Also, the GC version has all the original game soundtracks - and I'm all about not messing around with what isn't broken.

QUOTE]

Yeah I hear that but some of the remixed tracks rock.

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
you forgot megaman 8 is on saturn as well (and much better than the psx/ps2/gc ones too) ;)

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
not sonic said:
you forgot megaman 8 is on saturn as well (and much better than the psx/ps2/gc ones too) ;)

edited :)

uh and I forgot about battle & chase and the 2 "dash" games on PS1. they've been added :).

Last edited: