RGB or component to CPU monitor, best options?

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
a friend of mine is planning on moving to japan and he was asking me advice as he would like to get a evo monitor(asus VH236H) and use it for basically everything from saturn to ps3.

I don't think this monitor will support the basic RGB to VGA adapter that just separates the sync and amplifies the signal(I barely understand wtf I am saying here).

so I ask you guys, does anyone know a reasonably priced lagless way to convert RGB or component from a console into VGA a computer monitor could use.

Friend currently uses the RGB converted to component solution to get his oldschool stuff looking pretty, so component to VGA solutions are also possible. Adapters seem to exist, but they are expensive and who knows if they add any delay in the conversion process.

I only ask here as you guys know how important it is that input delay be extremely minimal... on some kinda AV forum or something they simply don't relate and understand how significant a few frames can be in games.

NEO-GEO man

Fake account, shill troll for Christophe Ratel. Us
If he is going to component now from RGB, may as well just leave it at that. VGA is still only RGB, so there is no point going down to component then back up. Not that its much of a step down really.

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
If he is going to component now from RGB, may as well just leave it at that. VGA is still only RGB, so there is no point going down to component then back up. Not that its much of a step down really.

thanks for the reply, but man the thing is this monitor doesn't take component, no issues quality wise with either solution but we definitely need a RGB or component signal converted to VGA in a compatible manner.

it's not so much about quality, it's about space. he doesn't wanna bring a tv with him there or back, he just wants a single monitor for his computing/video game needs. The asus VH236H is a cheap monitor that is great for ps3 and PC games, but how we gonna get saturn on there? (and by extension, basically anything from the SD generation)

NEO-GEO man

Fake account, shill troll for Christophe Ratel. Us
So what youre saying is it wont accept a 15.75kHz signal and minimum RGB sync is 31.5kHz? You need a line doubler for that, there is one called XRGB i think. Ive never used one, there is a few getting around these days.

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
I think that is what I am saying lol. I feared that would be the answer, those stupid things are expensive.

thanks man

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
ohh neat! that board was actually my first idea but I thought I should check around for something more consumer friendly for him. I suppose we could always throw it in a project box or do something cool with plexiglass like that link.

Thanks all for the help, I now understand what I need much better and likely won't be needing anymore advice.

Fortune

Zero's Secretary
If you aren't concerned about having a scanline generator integrated, you can get a Gonbes GBS-8220 CGA/EGA/YUV to VGA scaler for 30-40USD. If you are using SCART or some other RGB connection, you may need to wire on your own connector. It comes with a header and cable to do this. If you are using component, it already has RCA jacks mounted on the board for that. They can be found on eBay and Amazon's US site, among other places.

It's the same VGA converter/scaler board used in the SLG in a box, but is just the bare board. It also requires a 5V power adapter.

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
ohh neat! that board was actually my first idea but I thought I should check around for something more consumer friendly for him. I suppose we could always throw it in a project box or do something cool with plexiglass like that link.

Thanks all for the help, I now understand what I need much better and likely won't be needing anymore advice.

you're welcome :)

just a note, SLG in a box, is the plexiglass setup, ready to play, no need to work on it!

I agree with Fortune, if you seek. a cheap solution without scanlines, then you could make it with way less!

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
OK so I had a big post typed up but I'll condense it. If he wants to use a console that does RGB SoG and does >=31khz, he can use for sure a RGB SoG -> VGA cable and play over VGA. PS3 supports RGB SoG (but he should use HDMI for that), PS2 does as well but not only some games do 31khz (aka 480p), you can force some games to do 31khz with GSModeSelector but that's a hassle all on its own, you'd probably want to set a button shortcut in FreeMCBoot to GSModeSelector, (either blindly set it to 31khz or perhaps configure it to start in that mode? dunno if it supports the latter), then set the output for your game and launch it, not all games will work so it's sort of a crap-shoot. I only know about SoG with the PS2 really, can't really speak for other consoles, but I've played around with the PS2 a lot with GSModeSelector and a native SoG 31khz monitor before.

The cool thing is this monitor MAY support SoG without the need for an adapter (just a lm-whatever sync splitter), but nothing definitive on that. May want to check with ASUS. Info here: http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/does-the-asus-vh236h-support-sog.161861/

But anyone that can do VGA can do the above with an adapter.

Oh,
If you aren't concerned about having a scanline generator integrated, you can get a Gonbes GBS-8220 CGA/EGA/YUV to VGA scaler for 30-40USD. If you are using SCART or some other RGB connection, you may need to wire on your own connector. It comes with a header and cable to do this. If you are using component, it already has RCA jacks mounted on the board for that. They can be found on eBay and Amazon's US site, among other places.

It's the same VGA converter/scaler board used in the SLG in a box, but is just the bare board. It also requires a 5V power adapter.
This lags according to SRK. The XRGBs lag but it's apparently an insignificant amount. Depending on how hardcore of a gamer your friend is, the CHINESE UPSCALER (as I call it) may work well enough for him anyway, but you did write:
Adapters seem to exist, but they are expensive and who knows if they add any delay in the conversion process.

I only ask here as you guys know how important it is that input delay be extremely minimal... on some kinda AV forum or something they simply don't relate and understand how significant a few frames can be in games.
so I get the feeling it matters.
SoG -> VGA is lagless unless you somehow think the lm1881 (is that the right part number? I think I remembere it now) causes lag.
This still won't do anything for older consoles, may also work for Wii (if you can set it to RGB instead of YPbPr and plug in a YPbPr cable and it sends sync on green then there you have it), GameCube has its own VGA solution but it's expensive (rare YPbPr cable that needs hacking after the fact anyway).

So yeah anything that's 15khz you're gonna have to get some sort of upscaler, unless my Googling has failed me and the monitor DOES support 15khz (a few modern/modernish displays do, they mention them on NFG often).

Last edited: