Replacing battery... what console needs it?

Zellez

King's Dry Cleaner
Ok, this is not strictly related to the neo, and not even a real tech question but...
I was wondering which are the consoles or accessories that have a battery and should be taken care of in order to prevent leaks?

For example I remember my Dreamcast had an internal clock, but was it alimented by a battery or by the A/C? The memory card for sure had a flat type battery.

The Neo MVS boards have batteries that must be replaced or the leaking might screw them, and maybe some computer system like the Amiga might have it as well?

Would be nice if you could help and fill in a list of devices that have this issue.

malignantpoodle

Robert Garcia's Butler
I'm assuming the DC has an internal battery of some kind. Mine has recently started defaulting to the 1998 time when powered on.

The Amiga does have a battery that should be removed/replaced. leaks are common with those.

And of course the Neo. That's all I know about off the top of my head, but I'm certain there are more.

Joneo

Belnar Institute Student
Strictly speaking of the "coin cell" style batteries...
* The Dreamcast's internal battery is recharged as the system is powered on. A couple hours should do it unless the thing is totally shot. The VMU's take a pair of CR2032's that aren't rechargeable.
* Saturn has an internal non-rechargeable battery
* Various NES, SNES, and Game Boy games use batteries
* The Turbografx "Turbobooster Plus" uses some kind of backup that needs to be powered occasionally to maintain.

That's all I can think of offhand.

shadows

Mature's Make-up Artist
For the dreamcast VMU, the batteries are only needed to power up the display.

Zellez

King's Dry Cleaner
The Amiga does have a battery that should be removed/replaced. leaks are common with those.

I'll have to check mine then... last time I used it was almost 10 years ago, and never thought about the battery... will be probably dead by now...
Do you know if the Commodore 64 has battery as well?

Strictly speaking of the "coin cell" style batteries...
* The Dreamcast's internal battery is recharged as the system is powered on. A couple hours should do it unless the thing is totally shot. The VMU's take a pair of CR2032's that aren't rechargeable.

Ouch... another console that I left untouched for more than 6/7 years inside a closet...

* Saturn has an internal non-rechargeable battery
* Various NES, SNES, and Game Boy games use batteries
* The Turbografx "Turbobooster Plus" uses some kind of backup that needs to be powered occasionally to maintain.

That's all I can think of offhand.

Thanks for the info. So I suppose all the Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger, rpg's, Sim City and similar have a battery inside...
What's the chance of leaking for non rechargeable battery? Are they alkaline?

shadows

Mature's Make-up Artist
Thanks for the info. So I suppose all the Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger, rpg's, Sim City and similar have a battery inside...
What's the chance of leaking for non rechargeable battery? Are they alkaline?
Lithium. It's pretty rare that those lithium coin cell battery leak. I wouldnt worry about it.

mohawk33

n00b
i ve heard that the sega genesis/mega drive, has similar batteries like the neo geo mvs... that could leak also

Joneo

Belnar Institute Student
i ve heard that the sega genesis/mega drive, has similar batteries like the neo geo mvs... that could leak also
Genesis/Mega Drives don't contain system batteries, but some of the games do (the CR2032 again). These are lithium though, and as shadows said leakage is rare.

Zellez

King's Dry Cleaner
Lithium. It's pretty rare that those lithium coin cell battery leak. I wouldnt worry about it.

Ok, thanks. That's a relief considering that the majority of snes games I own are rpg...

C64 has no battery. I'm looking at a C64 mobo in my possession at this very moment :)

And that's another very good news :)
I wish I could check my stuffs, but being always away form home makes it tought

Last edited: