Racing game fans take notice, Wangan Midnight: Maximum Tune rocks.

K_Dash

Zero's Tailor
After playing Initial D for so long, I wanted to try something else and Outrun 2 wasn't something I wanted to play at the moment. Lo and behold, our arcade got Wangan Midnight: Maximum Tune, I never heard of it but looks good, gotten a 350Z and after the first race, I fell in love with it. It reminds me of Tokyo Extreme Racer, which wasn't my style of game, but for some reason I love this game. The pedal placement is a bit off and may take some time to get used to it, but I love the padded bucket seats, unlike Initial D's plastic bucket seats, and I love the H pattern shifter. Now if only the manga would come out here then I could finally appreciate the game. Unless someone here has links to them.

Here's pics of them, their blurry but you can still see them:

Wangan Midnight pic 1
Wangan Midnight pic 2

Anyone else played this awesome game?

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
Interesting. I've never heard of this game before nor the manga. I'll have to check out both when I get a chance. I love racing games. :D

playboycougar

Reese. ,
you bitch, i was there last night. we need to meet up or something. Hah that game is pretty sweet. ;)

EVIL NICK

ALL CAPS,
20 Year Member
The only good thing about this game is the option to turn up the music volume...

I use Maximum... :buttrock:

K hunter

Kula's Candy
K_Dash said:
After playing Initial D for so long, I wanted to try something else and Outrun 2 wasn't something I wanted to play at the moment. Lo and behold, our arcade got Wangan Midnight: Maximum Tune, I never heard of it but looks good, gotten a 350Z and after the first race, I fell in love with it. It reminds me of Tokyo Extreme Racer, which wasn't my style of game, but for some reason I love this game. The pedal placement is a bit off and may take some time to get used to it, but I love the padded bucket seats, unlike Initial D's plastic bucket seats, and I love the H pattern shifter. Now if only the manga would come out here then I could finally appreciate the game. Unless someone here has links to them.

Here's pics of them, their blurry but you can still see them:

Wangan Midnight pic 1
Wangan Midnight pic 2

Anyone else played this awesome game?

yo, where is this game at?

Baseley09

Hair Group,
We had the prequel standard W.Midnight around the corner (Gun Wharf Bowlplex), it was pretty decent, the same as Tokyo Highway and the konami Midnight Run really.

It's been replaced by Battle Gear 3 recently, which is more fun imo.

The Drizzle

Whip's Subordinate
I love you PBC! I can't wait to come over so we can go to the mall together and play this game :) Hope its good!

EMAGDNIM

Vice's Love Slave
I've been all over this game for a few months now...

I've got a 680HP 350z and a Supra with 400 HP...I've beaten the game twice with my z and its getthing tough...but I love it. Also battles are more fun to play. I don't really care if I win or lose (But having all those stars gives you a nice feeling)...

ferrarimanf355

Bullets QB
K_Dash said:
It reminds me of Tokyo Extreme Racer, which wasn't my style of game, but for some reason I love this game.
Isn't the Wangan Midnight series developed by Genki?

K_Dash

Zero's Tailor
ferrarimanf355 said:
Isn't the Wangan Midnight series developed by Genki?

Yeah, it was developed by Genki and published by Namco. They probably took the TXR engine, upgrade it, and use the Wangan Midnight license. Its still a great game though.

EMAGDNIM

Vice's Love Slave
And the music is great as well...I was playing today and I had put the music volume up to maximum :D

EVIL NICK

ALL CAPS,
20 Year Member
My main gripe with the game is that the sound effects are really quiet...

You can't even hear the engine?!

And I don't think it'll touch IDAS...

Maybe in mainstream, but not as far as hardcore players are concerned.... ;)

RAINBOW PONY

DASH DARK ANDY K,
20 Year Member
EVIL NICK said:
My main gripe with the game is that the sound effects are really quiet...

You can't even hear the engine?!

Arcade settings perhaps? :eye: :eye:

EVIL NICK

ALL CAPS,
20 Year Member
DARK ANDY said:
Arcade settings perhaps? :eye: :eye:

The ingame music is so loud you can't hear yourself think, but not the engine sound? :shame:

Don't think it's game settings, dude...

RAINBOW PONY

DASH DARK ANDY K,
20 Year Member
EVIL NICK said:
The ingame music is so loud you can't hear yourself think

That's the problem, you're not supposed to think, you're supposed to play by instinct, and being "in the zone". :shame:

EVIL NICK

ALL CAPS,
20 Year Member
DARK ANDY said:
That's the problem, you're not supposed to think, you're supposed to play by instinct, and being "in the zone". :shame:

That's the way you play SC, I know... ;)

playboycougar

Reese. ,
K hunter said:
thanks, man. btw, where the hell have you been?
Hey bro. Around, getting settled into the college life. Realised how much i missed the neo and shit and bought a AES w/ a phantom 1. Bah, probably will sell it in a few months, but I always come back right? ;)

ferrarimanf355

Bullets QB
Just had to bump this ol' thread, because the arcade that's right next to my college got a Maximum Tune twin cab, and it's replacing Initial D as my favorite street racer. I really like a lot of things about the game: the sense of speed, the drifting mechanics, the shifter, the car lineup, the trance music, the realistic-looking graphics, the sound system (I swear to God that there's a subwoofer under the seat, and if there is, it's the best sound system setup in an arcade cabinet since San Francisco Rush 2049... :buttrock: )... there's a lot to love about Maximum Tune. Too bad the card system isn't working... once the cards are stocked, I'm getting a Lancer Evo 8 MR, since I'm the best using that car. I love this game! :buttrock: