Possibly the dumbest question ever asked.

Billkwando

OG OG,
20 Year Member
Is it ok to use a magnetic screwdriver to pop a chip out of a socket? I'm installing a unibios in my MVS today and I didn't wanna mess anything up.

mr aize

Dodgeball Yakuza
Better not to really, doubt it would do any dammage but magnetic fields do funny things to electronics.

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
Not to sound like an asshole, but why not just go to ACE hardware's bargin bin and pick up a non-magnetic screwdirver set for $1.

Billkwando

OG OG,
20 Year Member
Not to sound like an asshole, but why not just go to ACE hardware's bargin bin and pick up a non-magnetic screwdirver set for $1.

Meh. Never occurred to me. I tend to improvise with what I have on hand.

Mike26

McWow,
wait cant you just run the screw driver the opposite direction over the back of a non-enclosed speaker to remove the magnetism if you really were worried? i'm thinking back to 3rd grade here im prob wrong

Billkwando

OG OG,
20 Year Member
wait cant you just run the screw driver the opposite direction over the back of a non-enclosed speaker to remove the magnetism if you really were worried? i'm thinking back to 3rd grade here im prob wrong

Wouldn't that be kinda like caulking your sun roof shut because you're afraid it might leak?

FA-MAS

Kula's Candy
I never understand why people freak out with magnets and electronics. Aside from a hard drive or other magnetic media (floppy, tape, whatnot) everything's electrically erasable/reprogrammable. Even in the case of a hard drive, you need an extremely strong magnet. Yes, it's ok to use a magnetic screwdriver.