Placing controller ports externally on my MVS cabinet

77punk

New Challenger
I am looking to find neo geo controller ports.. I want to solder off the points on my MVS motherboard to add two ports (player 1 and 2) on the front of my cabinet. Does anyone know where i can get these. I would hate to try to de-solder off the controller ports just to screw up the motherboard. Any suggestions?

Thanks all of you.

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
i would splice into the jamma harness rather than possibly damaging your mobo. that way youd be able to use it for more than just neogeo too.

unless you have a mobo with onboard controller ports, in which case you could just run some db15 extension cables.

77punk

New Challenger
tghanks

Yeah thats what i want to do. Thanks for the name of the extension cables. Im sure people have done this as well. I have a two slot MVS with the extra two ports on the inside.

Thanks yall...

77punk

New Challenger
how hard would it be to map the controller port to another joystick? Anyone pull this off without crazy modding?

Tanks.1

77punk said:
how hard would it be to map the controller port to another joystick? Anyone pull this off without crazy modding?

Tanks.1

You mean like use a console joystick on the cab through the port on the MVS mobo?

If yes, make a hole in your cab for a DB15 male connector, connect it to the DB-15 extension cable to your MVS control ports, and you can hack your joystick to pretty easily connect to neo geo, or even build a PS>Neo Geo converter, there's lots of guides out there.

Not sure what you consider "crazzy modding", I have done some joystick wiring stuff before and have some basic soldering skills and Electronics 101 from highschool (got a C), and this stuff is well within my abilities. Just read up and be careful and you could do it man. Good luck!

Last edited:

77punk

New Challenger
gotcha. thanks for the thoughts. I will try it soon. Have to order parts now.

Thanks again