PC version of KOF'99?

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
Anyone played this yet? I know it came out in December, but I havent seen any importer have it for sell. Any comments?

------------------
ntm.jpg

N-T-M

chimpmeister

Former Moderator
Uh, there's no such thing, dude. If you saw one for sale on eBay (I did see one there), its nothing more than the ROMs and NeoRageX, on a burned CDR. There is no legal copy of King of Fighters 99 for the PC.

chimpmeister

Former Moderator
Hmmm, looks like you're right and I'm wrong. Sorry, I had just never heard of a KOF99 PC game anywhere, and you'd think it would have been brought up before. Very interesting, NeoTurfMasta . . . I stand corrected!!
frown.gif

S

Silent_Scope

Hmmm.........only SNK game I've seen on PC is Fatal Fury 3.....

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
I know, when I saw this it surprised me. It would be nice we could find someone who has personal experience with this game. It might be a hacked rom... I cant tell if that company releases these games, or if they are just a distributor. Because if you follow this link http://www.cyberfront.co.jp/files/patch/kof99/kof99_v103.txt

and read the text file you can see the directory structure of the game has "cyberfront" in it. I dont know...

[This message has been edited by NeoTurfMasta (edited January 26, 2001).]

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Unfortunetly none of us outside of Japan will be able to play the game with out a crack, since it is made to only run on the Japanese version of Windows. I have seen the crack on the web to remove the protection, but that is dipping into that grey area a lot of people on this board do not want to enter. Anyway, I have heard it is good, and is basicly just a port of KOF99 Evolution from the Dreamcast. Nothing to exciting, I will stick with the DC version myself, but collectors may want to grab a copy.

-Nick

rstreck

Armored Scrum Object
Originally posted by Silent_Scope:

There has been a few others. Besides Fatal Fury 3 there is:

Art of Fighting
King of Fighters '95
Samurai Shodown 2

Hope that helps.

Ryan

S

Silent_Scope

Originally posted by rstreck:
There has been a few others. Besides Fatal Fury 3 there is:

Art of Fighting
King of Fighters '95
Samurai Shodown 2

Hope that helps.

Ryan

Art of fighting on PC? Does it have zoom feature the same as AES/MVS/CD version?
Wow....that's amazing to see those SNK games on PC platform...........
I want to see MS series on PC.......

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
Originally posted by nruva:
Unfortunetly none of us outside of Japan will be able to play the game with out a crack, since it is made to only run on the Japanese version of Windows.

With Win200 I have been able to play plenty of Japanese software titles. One thing I do is change the Regional Options to Japan. It changes all the text on my computer to Japanese, but the japanese software looks like it is supposed to without any problems.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
NeoTurfMaster,
I have heard that they are doing some territory lockout with the game... that is what I was trying to say. They claim it will not run on a US Windows system, even with the Japanese language packs installed. Whether or not you can get it to work though is another story... this is just what I have heard.

-Nick

Vektorlogic did 9 Windows PC versions - licensed from SNK for a company in Korea called TNS Software - these were released in Korea in the weeks leading up to Christmas - up to SNK if we get to release them elsewhere. Cyberfront were working on some games in a similar manner but using different techniques - were struggling at one point but don't know how they got on. I fell out with Sato-san over the project as they tried to back-door us on the SNK work, but couldn't come up with the goods originally :-)

Games included MS2, SS4, KOF 99, KOF 98, FF series etc

Regards

Jeff F

chimpmeister

Former Moderator
Originally posted by Vektorlogic Ltd:
Vektorlogic did 9 Windows PC versions - licensed from SNK for a company in Korea called TNS Software - these were released in Korea in the weeks leading up to Christmas - up to SNK if we get to release them elsewhere. Cyberfront were working on some games in a similar manner but using different techniques - were struggling at one point but don't know how they got on. I fell out with Sato-san over the project as they tried to back-door us on the SNK work, but couldn't come up with the goods originally :-)

Games included MS2, SS4, KOF 99, KOF 98, FF series etc

Regards

Jeff F

So Jeff, what you're saying is that your company, Vektorlogic, has already finished and released 9 PC versions of Neo Geo games? And you have no idea whether you'll ever release those games in the U.S., or elsewhere in the world? I'm sure the games you mention would do well outside of Korea . . . any chance we'll ever see them?
frown.gif
frown.gif

Basically yes :-(

The games were part of a 9 game deal that SNK asked us to develop for their customer in Dec 99. They awareded a license to TNS and then backed out of all of the support that they had offered (promised) the client. I have no fear of legal retribution here as I was at the meeting in Osaka. Then followed a pretty nasty series of exchanges involving legal reps from several areas.

All of the source promised to TNS was never provided and the games were done from scratch - SNK effectively tried to prevent the games from being released on at least one occasion, and there was some confusion over games that were released by Mega Corp in Korea - who claim that they too were licensed to release these games. The games were based on MAME and included open ROM files with some pretty gross language in text files within the ZIP'd ROM files.

So... we have just completed a version of Metal Slug which is going off for approval right now. Problem is though that there are very few staff at SNK - primarily focussed on Pachinko development and some small scale NGPC work.

Just for the record, we are now working on a series of new MVS titles (3 in hand) for release this year. SNK were offered the ability to provide info for the project and take a royalty. For whatever reason, only know to SNK, they were unable to meet the timescale for discussions/agreements, therefore they were informed last week that the project (also to be offered up to 3rd party development in Apr 01) would go ahead without SNK involvement. A little bit of sabre rattling on their part as you can imagine followed after that, but basically they are out in the cold on this one.

I was informed by a member of the company that the games that are pending release for all platforms at SNK are previous WIP titles that didn't make it out first time round.

So what lies ahead...it will be up to Aruze what they decide to do. With the possible demise of DC, SNK are not at a high point for experience in platforms to design for. I can confirm that 2 weeks ago, we offered them X Box conversions and DC conversions (the conversions are straight forward ports from the AES to platform - same graphics quality with 100% functionality)- no reply has been received on this.

Well we will continue to work on the games for MVS/AES using some new technology to prevent home bootlegging of AES conversions - sorry guys.

BTW - anyone interested in a Neo Robotron - not promising, but it's something that we are seriously looking at - the original, not a new version - would like some feedback on this and some of the other WMS games from that era - plus anything else you would like to see for MVS or AES - maybe even a gun game..........

I will include some screen shots of WIP in the near future but I am sure you will understand that they will not be made available until nearer the release date. I will put them up via neo-geo.com first in parallel with our site.

Thanks for the space

Jeff Ferrier

baller99

Banned
"I was informed by a member of the company that the games that are pending release for all platforms at SNK are previous WIP titles that didn't make it out first time round.
"
im assuming wip=work in progress...Are there any games on the bottom(unrealeased game) of the master list you can confirm as being in existence?

Peter

Don't know what they have planned really - Nightmare was one of those games - think that there are a few others also - but it didn't seem as though they had met performance specs first time round.

Jeff

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
I would like to see some older games get ported to MVS. How about a pac-man or ms pac-man. Robotron would be cool... Dig-Dug, Mappy. Any of the classics, how about an MVS cart with 5 or 6 old arcade games on it that a user can select what he wants to play. Make a nice menu screen with MVS graphics then have straight ports playing on the hardware. I think a lot of us would enjoy that, atleast I would.

-Nick

Jackal

SouthTown StreetSweeper
About Cyberfront-

Interplay has released a couple of their Neo ports here- namely the Samurai Shodown 2 and Fatal Fury 3 conversions.
Some other games (not Neo Geo) that Cyberfront worked on PC versions of are Darius Gaiden and Raiden II.

gameoverdude.jpg
www.gameoverdude.com
jackal.jpg

I have most of the Cyberfront ports of the games listed, but most were of a poor quality - same goes for the Neo ports that preceded the KOF 99.

As far as new games go for MVS/AES, the Pac is a strange issue, as are most of Namco's games - Namco are very tight on what they license out, and we may have an issue pending with them over the Ms Pac/ Galaga game that came out last year. There is a game which some could construe as "similar" to the Pac theme - that's as close as I will state it for now. The other games mentioned would again be subject to license permissions, but some retro games are a definite possibility for next year - especially those for which we have a working relationship with the original manufacturer.

Japanese arcade developers are having a tight time and sales are very poor for them right now - so maybe the time is right to re-release a multi- cart.

Singles are more profitable though, so that may be the over-riding factor on that front.

Regards

Jeff F

chimpmeister

Former Moderator
Thanks for the detailed response, Jeff.

As far as older games like Robotron, I don't think they would do well as a Neo cart release, since many of the best known old games have already been ported to SNES, Playstation, Saturn, etc. You would need to find great classic older games that were never released anywhere . . . and in fact, I would look to mid-late 90s shooters as being a HUGH possible market. The only issue there being that the Neo is inherently a horizontal setup, and most shooters were vertical monitor setups. But I always felt there could have been more shooters on the Neo, we really only ever got a handful.

Oh, and as an example of what to strive for, look at some classic Saturn shooters like Shienryu, Do DonPachi, Kyukyoku Tiger II Plus, Batsugun, and Battle Garegga. These kinds of games are GUARANTEED to do well on the Neo . . . assuming that the hardware can handle them!
biggrin.gif

Jackal

SouthTown StreetSweeper
I have the F3 version of Darius Gaiden (and the PC one). The pace of the game in the PC one seems a bit slow compared to the arcade title. When you're on your 2nd Zone, the BGM "Visionnerz" doesn't continue on like it does on the F3 and Saturn versions, but instead it restarts.

The Raiden II port looks and plays OK but it has some major sound issues. The sound quality can't touch the PSX version. And there's also a lack of a scanline option (which is important, since the graphics were designed for an arcade monitor which has scanlines). I'd rather boot up Virtual GameStation and stick my Raiden Project CD into the computer for Raiden II.

gameoverdude.jpg
www.gameoverdude.com
jackal.jpg

TMOSteel

20 Year Member
Originally posted by Silent_Scope:

I've seen SS II at Electronics Boutique for the PC...

NeoLord

Neo-Geo FAQs Editor
Jeff, why not release a Street Smart/P.O.W cartridge combination for the Neo-Geo? I'm sure those games would sell well since they're still popular.

------------------
terry1.gif

NeoLord
Neo-News and much more!
http://neonews.cjb.net

[This message has been edited by NeoLord (edited January 31, 2001).]