PC Engine Duo/ Turbo Duo CD Drive issues

Sypth

Mr. Big's Thug
It was working okay when I first got it, had intermittent sound problems but the drive was fine. So, I capped the whole thing and went to go and test it and it won't even read discs now. Got a new laser, still won't read anything. Gone over probably every single cap, making sure its in the right way and making good continuity, resoldering some of the surface mount chips and still is not working. It won't even tell me the lid is open when I go to hit run. All it does is basically freeze when I hit run, no laser movement or anything. Replaced power supplies as well, still no go. Thinking its an IC or bad cap but not sure. Anyone have any advice? I was thinking of ordering another cap kit to see if possibly its a bad cap from the kit I had already used.

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
Do you hear any movement when trying to read a disc or is it totally DOA?

Sypth

Mr. Big's Thug
Doesn't move an inch. I had to take a battery to the motors just to make sure they were still working.

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
Are the drive gears/rails lubricated and properly moving? If the motor is getting powered that's the first thing I'd check.

Sypth

Mr. Big's Thug
I get a reading of 4.9V from the laser itself, and I forget the exact voltage of the motor. So they are getting power, I should say the only time it does move even in the slightest is when you turn it on and off the assembly almost jitters a little bit.

ApolloBoy

Edo Express Delivery Guy
I would try to inspect the board again to make sure you haven't accidentally shorted anything.

Sypth

Mr. Big's Thug
Sounds like the gears are seized.
The motor moves the gears just fine when I used a 3.6V battery.

I would try to inspect the board again to make sure you haven't accidentally shorted anything.
That's what I was thinking or a pad that got lifted when unsoldering. I just was hoping the cap would pop indicating a short.

BladeDancer314

Windjammers Wonder
I haven't touched the laser pot or any of the others.

I would try adjusting the pots to see if that helps.

Do one pot at a time and make sure you mark where the pot was originally so you can go back to its original point if it doesn't work.

I had sound issues on my Turbo Duo and all I did was readjust one pot on the board and that took care of it.