PC Engine Duo: Sound Issues.

twalden

Leona's Therapist
20 Year Member
Does this problem also occur with the Duo-Rs and RXs? I've had sound problems with two Duos before but never with my current Duo-RX system or Duo-R that
I had a few years back. Just wondering.

BenimaruN

Overtop Pathfinder
greedostick said:
WOW! you dug deep to get this thread.

my old duo had the same exact problem. except mine would play the cd music when it felt like it. pretty ghey.
i didn't have to dig deep at all, just used the search *shock* and this was the best match. unfortunately it only helped me realize that i should have done more research before putting down the $200.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
BenimaruN said:
i didn't have to dig deep at all, just used the search *shock* and this was the best match. unfortunately it only helped me realize that i should have done more research before putting down the $200.

nah, duo's are well worth buying. you just have to get a good one. you have to take really good care of duo's. and the problem is most people when they receive one, it was not taken very good care of. alot of people like to forget to close the cd lid or open the lid before it stops spinning. you should always hold run and select to put on the brakes.

Dean

Choi's Clawmaker
twalden said:
Does this problem also occur with the Duo-Rs and RXs? I've had sound problems with two Duos before but never with my current Duo-RX system or Duo-R that
I had a few years back. Just wondering.

It appears that Duo-R and Duo-RX systems are immune to the problem. I'm currently looking into the issue and will very soon have a little glimmer of hope I think for Duo owners.

BenimaruN

Overtop Pathfinder
greedostick said:
nah, duo's are well worth buying. you just have to get a good one. you have to take really good care of duo's. and the problem is most people when they receive one, it was not taken very good care of. alot of people like to forget to close the cd lid or open the lid before it stops spinning. you should always hold run and select to put on the brakes.
yeah, that's true. i'm just being cynical cause i don't have any kick-ass games yet (ninja masters (hucard), and dungeon explorer 2(CD) are in the mail). i always take very good care of my systems, always hold reset when powering off, or open the lid to stop the disc from spinning, or whatever the user manual recommends.

and as for the problem itself, it seems to be getting better. this morning it only took 5 minutes for the unit to warm up and the music to kick in. i guess the duo was sitting in a box for a little too long, all it needed was some action. (since i have no games, i'm using a music CD to test the unit.)

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
yeah, that's true. i'm just being cynical cause i don't have any kick-ass games yet (ninja masters (hucard), and dungeon explorer 2(CD) are in the mail).

well, dont forget to check out my dungeon explorer 2 faq on www.gamefaqs.com

maybe you can contribute a little. also the beginning of dungeon explorer 2 has 2 introductions at the beginning. wait for the 2nd.

BenimaruN

Overtop Pathfinder
greedostick said:
yeah, that's true. i'm just being cynical cause i don't have any kick-ass games yet (ninja masters (hucard), and dungeon explorer 2(CD) are in the mail).

well, dont forget to check out my dungeon explorer 2 faq on www.gamefaqs.com

maybe you can contribute a little. also the beginning of dungeon explorer 2 has 2 introductions at the beginning. wait for the 2nd.
yes, i will be checking out your FAQ, extensively, since the game i bought is the japanese one. i don't know what i would be able to contribute, but if i see something, i'll drop you a line.

Similar issue here

I am the original owner of my Turbo Duo. I bought it new about 10 or 12 years ago. I've always treated it extremely well and never abused it in any way. It's the only system I leave outside of the entertainment system so it doesn't overheat. (I even made a cover for it when not in use).

Anyhow, it's just recently developed a similar sound problem. The CD music cuts out after anywhere between 20 minutes or 2 hours of playing... though it's been starting more and more frequently as of late. The games load perfectly fine, and chip sound effects still play. Both the DIN and the headphone jack are affected. If I turn the volume WAY up I can still hear the music, albeit crackly.

Replacing my Duo is not an option. Several years ago I modded my Duo with a switch (8P2T) so that I can play US or Japanese Hu's without the need of a converter. The wiring was intense to say the least, and I trouble shooted a lot of problems with interference and just shit not working right before I got everything working correctly. I really, REALLY don't want to do that again... and I can't find a source for those switches anymore either. Besides, this Duo has been with me for so long that it has quite a lot of sentimental value.

Rather than a bad IC, I think a transistor or a capacitor must have gone bad somewhere in the amplification circuit. IC's are usually quite robust. I'm reasonably handy with a soldering iron... but I don't want to pull every transistor and every cap on the board looking for the bad one. Anybody have an idea how to narrow it down? Where is the sound circutry located?

It's been said that replacing the CD unit didn't do anything... that was going to be my first step, so at least that saved me some dough.

Charles.

BenimaruN

Overtop Pathfinder
nice to see people interested in finding a solution to this little problem. i have no technical skill, so i unfortunetly won't be able to help in that field, i will however provide plenty of moral support :D .

and today i have a new symptom to share. in my case, the cd music is out from the first second i power the duo up, and comes back after a few (5-10) minutes. just today, however, the pattern changed. the music can be heard as soon as a game boots up, but is now filled with large amounts of static in the lower frequencies. all the bass sounds are very distorted. the same situation can be heard through the systems headphone jack, so it's not the fault of my speakers (but that is what it sounds like). although quite crappy sounding, the music did stay audible for the entire time i played (quite a few hours). i don't know if this is good or bad news.

Chicago Cheeseburgler Crew

BANNED , Banned , Here's why
10 Year Member
greedostick said:
...there is a link in there website to the actual website that does this service. it costs $60. well it use to. it may be more now.

You must be referring to RetroGame's repair service (http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/1424/). Instead of opting for their service I recommend using your Duo as a paperweight. I paypaled my $60 payment and sent in my busted system on March 22nd with insurance and a delivery confirmation. I have heard nothing from them and there hasn't been anything to indicate that I'll get my Duo back.

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
My JPN Duo's gone bad for a while (not sure about my US Duo as I haven't opened it for years) and I just bought a mint Duo-RX for backup.

Just like everyone experiences the same problem, I think my Duo is in its final stage. I don't know how many people have owned this machine but I got it as a gift.

Now it's alright to play hucard & CD games but sound will go off pretty quickly.
Sometimes I have problem playing hucard game as well........screen just goes off and I have to reboot my machine.

Right now it seems using magic engine on PC is the way to play my PC Engine CD game. I will need to pick up a backup TG-16 (or Coregrafx) to play hucard :)

Dean

Choi's Clawmaker
I should post a new bit of info here too as I did in the other thread.

I am close I believe to solving the sound issues, but need some more equipment that I'll be receiving for the holiday, specifically a higher end multimeter that will allow me to better test capacitance, resistance, etc.

Additionally, I'm talking to the TZD owner about potentially being the repair contact for this stuff. BUT, before I do that I want to make sure I know how to fix this problem! I know a LOT LOT LOT of people would love to have this fix available and that if I can do it I'll be a VERY busy man (but don't worry, I'll be sharing the info for the betterment of the community).

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
D-Lite, you're the man!!!!!!!!!! =)
Maybe you can "resurrect" my Duo soon....... :)

omnedon

Astra Superstar
I now have two Duo's with this problem. I've actively cooled the TurboDuo, and it can now play Hucards for HOURS with no sound issues.

CD music is mostly AWOL though. Sound effects in CD games are fine, but CD music is gone.

I've repaired a lot of systems, and I'm beginning to consider Duo's as temperamental as PS2's.

If there is any info I can share with D-Lite (test results, pics, other useful specifics) they are his for the asking.

I was gonna buy a Duo. I'm beginning to change my mind. If this fix doesn't pan out, I may begin to consider them junk...

Moose

Moose,
20 Year Member
Hey D, does the fan mod significantly reduce this problem in the DUO's? (you can do it in the duo's, right?)

CarlDMC

Tung's Hair,
ChopperCharles said:
Replacing my Duo is not an option. Several years ago I modded my Duo with a switch (8P2T) so that I can play US or Japanese Hu's without the need of a converter. The wiring was intense to say the least, and I trouble shooted a lot of problems with interference and just shit not working right before I got everything working correctly. I really, REALLY don't want to do that again... and I can't find a source for those switches anymore either.
Charles.

Instead of a switch, I used 4 ICs that switch them for me. I used the schematic from MAS Systems and it works great. Plus you can put your circuit board almost anywhere.

IC's

I did the mod years and years and years ago. The IC mod hadn't been developed yet, but it had been talked about on the Turbo List. Regardless, it's the sound problem I'm trying to fix...

Charles.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
greedostick said:
just sell your duo on the bay. explain what the problem is. i have seen duo's on ebay where the cd system does not work at all, and have been sold for over $100

alot of people figure they can fix the system or they can just send it to turbo zone and get a new one. it's a way for someone to get a duo a little cheaper. they figure if the pay $100 for it and swap it for another one at TZD for $60 they saved over $40

if you want to play hu card imports you have to see if dean will sell you a modded one. there are so many great imports on the turbo grafx.

TZD, will not fix your system. they will just swap it for one that works and has probebly been fixed. there is a link in there website to the actual website that does this service. it costs $60. well it use to. it may be more now.

if it helps at all i had a duo with the same problem and i sold it on game tz for $90

try posting a thread here and gametz if you have an account. you never know.
Agreed or Youkai if you have a account at www.pcenginefx.com sell it there.

No

I don't want to sell my system. I've specially modified it with a switch so that I don't need an adapter to play HuCard/Turbochip games. I want to fix it and keep it forever.

Has anyone made progress on this?

Charles.

T.A.P.

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
So has the sound issue been solved? I'm thinking of getting a Duo, but if system sound failure is almost garanteed with little to no hope of repair, then I may just back away.

Dean

Choi's Clawmaker
T.A.P. said:
So has the sound issue been solved? I'm thinking of getting a Duo, but if system sound failure is almost garanteed with little to no hope of repair, then I may just back away.
No solution yet.

Get an R.