No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Kudos to lords of the Realm...

I only ever played II tho.

Turn based strategy, Real time combat.

RATM

Zack de la Neo,
Just about everything from Looking Glass Studios is well worth playing, especially Thief, System Shock, and Ultima Underworld.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I hear the Mortal Kombat PC game is pretty good...

Also, Grand Theft Auto... But that was bit later.

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
A few have mentioned some.

FPS:
RoTT
Duke3D
Shadow Warrior
Blood
Heretic
Hexen
Thief
Unreal Tournament

Others:
X-Wing
Tie-Fighter
Jedi Knight II
Terminal Velocity
Raptor
Gothic
Warcraft II
Scorched Earth
Wings of Fury

Edit: btw they just added Myst on the PS Store for PSP. It's 19.99 US though....

Last edited:

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
I think you mean Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight. Jedi Knight 2 was a steaming pile of shit.

Segata_Sanshiro

Tesse's Maintainence Man
15 Year Member
Starcraft.

I remember Tie Fighter being pretty awesome, tried to get it to run on my old Pentium 4 and it wouldn't though

StealthLurker

Naomi Yamazaki's Wingman
Crusader: No Remorse (90s)

http://hg101.classicgaming.gamespy.com/crusader/crusader.htm

remorse2.jpg

Syndicate (series) (90s)

swars_ingame_exploding_car_01_hq.png

4D Boxing (90s)
Day of the Tentacle (90s)
Star Control 2 (90s)
Manx TT Superbike (90s)
Battle Chess (80s)

Shogun Total War (2000)

11450-shogun_total_war_warlords_edition_hir0510_06_super.jpg

Shogo: Mobile Armor Division (1998)

965434374-00.jpg

Crime Wave (lol, i used to love NARC in the arcade) (80s)

crimewave-box1.jpg

Ancient Art of War (series) (80s)
Most Sierra games (King's Quest, Space Quest, Police Quest, Leisure Suit Larry, etc) (80s on up)
Chuck Yeager's Air Combat (90s)

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I think you mean Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight. Jedi Knight 2 was a steaming pile of shit.

Agreed there.

You could cheat like a bastard in Jedi Knight multiplayer really easily.

Not that I used too do that of course.

Why would you want full Dark Side and Light Side powers?

It was literally as easy changing some numbers in a .txt file that corresponded to your character.

Bizarre online lobby from MS too. You would join a lobby through your internet browser and the game would get launched from there.

Really fun game though, especially online and I haven't played a Star Wars FPS since that I've liked better.

I wish a good developer could get their hands on the Star Wars IP and develop something interesting instead of the dreck of "lolz I r Jedi Knight Heroz" shit we've been getting. The squad game where you played as a clone trooper was a good idea, but the game was mediocre.

/Rant.

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
Bizarre online lobby from MS too. You would join a lobby through your internet browser and the game would get launched from there.
Lots of Windows games in the 90s used the MSN Gaming Zone; they sort of "bundled" it with DirectX (it was an extension of DirectPlay IIRC) and then convinced everyone to use it. It was a good idea in theory (common API for establishing network games and such), but Microsoft managed to fuck it up big-time and it was so unstable that it just sort of died once people didn't want to put up with it.

The same thing's going to happen with Games For Windows Live. In another 10 years we'll be left with another generation of PC games which no longer work online. It will be worse this time, though, because now they're integrating it more and more with the games.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Lots of Windows games in the 90s used the MSN Gaming Zone; they sort of "bundled" it with DirectX (it was an extension of DirectPlay IIRC) and then convinced everyone to use it. It was a good idea in theory (common API for establishing network games and such), but Microsoft managed to fuck it up big-time and it was so unstable that it just sort of died once people didn't want to put up with it.

The same thing's going to happen with Games For Windows Live. In another 10 years we'll be left with another generation of PC games which no longer work online. It will be worse this time, though, because now they're integrating it more and more with the games.

You could still do Jedi Knight over LAN/IP if I recall correctly. So there were still some options for playing it multiplayer.

I think it sucks that Blizzard has basically thrown LAN play out making it so you absolutely have to use their service to get any kind of multiplayer playing going.

Thats a total and complete fucking dick move on their part.

What is really queer though is stuff like Relic's Dawn of War 2 which is both a STEAM game and a game for Windows Live.

Could it get any more awkward?

Last edited:

Bishamon

Azu Bla, ,
688 Attack Sub
Populous
PowerMonger
Star Control 2
Dune II (precursor to C&C)
Day of the Tentacle
Interstate 76
Mechwarrior II: Mercenaries
Shogo
BattleZone

Those pretty much cover a 10 year period from '89 to around '99.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Blake stone was my favorite post-Wolf 3D fps outside of DooM, even tho its was before the cd-rom's time

Raptor and shadow warrior were good as well

Redneck Rampage was awesome in my opinion. I remember playing alot of quake, doom, and duke...then these 2 rednecks come out that are getting drunk, hitting each other with a crowbar, and using an alien gun that is a strap on set of tits that is fully automatic....

I need to go play that game again.