Official PSP Homebrew (Piracy) Thread: All ROMs, ISOs and Such!

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
ray_7 said:
anyone able to get sengoku cannon running with the fastloader?

It is confirmed working but you can't save or load. :(

ray_7

yeah i got it to work yesterday... the reason it didnt work for me in the first place is coz i dl'ed a bad dump... hopefully there'll be a new loader that will support this soon...

TrueTrials

Olly C,
15 Year Member
UK psp launches on wednesday night, I've got one reserved but anybody know the likelyhood of being able to play teh romz on the Unit? Have there been any cracks or nearing cracks to be announced yet?

Cheers

Mark of the Wolves

mullet bullet
TrueTrials said:
UK psp launches on wednesday night, I've got one reserved but anybody know the likelyhood of being able to play teh romz on the Unit? Have there been any cracks or nearing cracks to be announced yet?

Cheers

You won't be able to as last time I checked the latest updates hadn't been cracked. It'll probably ship with 2.0.

TrueTrials

Olly C,
15 Year Member
Mark of the Wolves said:
You won't be able to as last time I checked the latest updates hadn't been cracked. It'll probably ship with 2.0.

Im reading they come with 1.52 firmware and 2.0 on the free disk.
Im also reading "Yoshihiro and Team Wab have somehow worked out a way to downgrade the as yet non homebrew PSP consoles to v1.5"

Both of those screen good news for UK buyers?

Mawdsley

Belnar Institute Student
TrueTrials said:
Im also reading "Yoshihiro and Team Wab have somehow worked out a way to downgrade the as yet non homebrew PSP consoles to v1.5"

I think its unlikely that it will ship with 2.0 considering that the US have only just OK'd it. How would they have time to upgrade all stock that they have already built?

The rumoured downgrade will only work for 1.51 and 1.52, and may brick your psp (there trying to sort that now).

As a jap 1.5 owner. Im more interested what the firmware / region requirements of UK games/movies are. Both UK and Jap are definetly region 2 (same as dvd) as I have seen a few games / movies displaying it on the box. My local GAME store has a jap demo psp and I had them try out a UMD movie to see if it would work, but they got a message saying they had to update the firmware. This isnt conclusive either way, as I have no idea what version it was running and what version it requires or if once the firmware is upgrade it will complain about region.

Come Thursday, I will be getting F1 and maybe a movie, so I will let you guys know if they work and if the WAB Version Spoofer allows you to run them.

Blue Steel

previously "bubu_X"
I have a lot of questions, where to begin? First I want to point out that I have only been able to get Neo Geo roms to play on my computer a few times, and it was confusing for me, so in order to get roms to a PSP is a whole new can of worms to open up for me as far as I'm concerned. Please help me out here. Let's begin...

1. Why is everyone just interested in NGCD emu's/roms, why not just get Neo Geo, can you play Neo Geo roms?

2. Do the newer PSP's allow you to play roms?

3. Are all PSP's region free? I'm thinking if they are, I will pick up a cheap one in China.

4. Running SNES games at 333mhz do they play like they would normally on an SNES system?

5. How do you get the roms/emu's to your PSP from the mem stick?

6. Can you watch movies from the mem stick? What formats? If so, what's the biggest/best/cheapest mem stick available?

7. What does this "need a UMD to boot/launch stuff mean?

8. Do I need to have a PSP version/made before a certain date or product number to play the roms/emu's? How do I tell which version/model I have?

9. Which is the best version to own/play roms/emu's? That's mainly what I want a PSP for - not so much for PSP games, this all sounds so complicated.

10. Slerch666 said in another thread that no one reads the hand held section (I don't check it enough) - proves true, because I didn't realize you could play roms on PSP yet until tonight while talking to Bobak about it. (I was wondering by butta saying things like "I have the roms" though).

Please fill me in.

barf

Maxima's Barber
here we go

I have a lot of questions, where to begin? First I want to point out that I have only been able to get Neo Geo roms to play on my computer a few times, and it was confusing for me, so in order to get roms to a PSP is a whole new can of worms to open up for me as far as I'm concerned. Please help me out here. Let's begin...

1. Why is everyone just interested in NGCD emu's/roms, why not just get Neo Geo, can you play Neo Geo roms?

because NeoGeo games don t fit entirely in the 32MB of RAM (even more true since you don t have the full 32MB free). NeoCD are meant to be streamed to the 8MB memory of the system (afaik) that s why THEY FIT. More, the emulation is a derivate from the DC emulator which is verry optimized, that allows a full speed emulation with sound in most games... and that s wonderfull (best emu on PSP hands down)

Not yet

3. Are all PSP's region free? I'm thinking if they are, I will pick up a cheap one in China.
Yes they are for games. Videos are another ballpark, don t know chinese UMD Video zone

4. Running SNES games at 333mhz do they play like they would normally on an SNES system?
Nope, only some play at full speed. Pal games play more full speed while a lot of NTSC ones fluctuate between 52 and 61 fps
Few examples:
Mario World / Mario All Stars: Full Speed
Zelda: Full Speed
Chrono Trigger : almost full Speed (full speed at 30fps with frameskip 1)
Donkey Kong Country: verry poor
Bahamut Lagood: slide show introduction

Via the USB connection to your PC the console is recognized like a removable hard disk

6. Can you watch movies from the mem stick? What formats? If so, what's the biggest/best/cheapest mem stick available?
Yes, MP4 format. The best quality videos i made were with 3GP tweaking well the thing. in virtual dub i crop the video to be 16:9 then i brake the aspect ratio and encode in 320x240. after that when i play on the PSP i choose full screen which usualy breaks the aspect ratio but not this time since the video was prepared to be at the correct ratio full screen. it s difficult to explain but this makes the best quality.

biggest: 2GB
best: Sandisk, not the game edition (it s more expensive though)
cheapest: Sandisk gamer edition afaik, still expensive
there are SDCard adaptors in the works though.

You need to have a UMD in the drive before launching the ripped game (the game needs to launch certain system modules off the UMD for protection purpose)

8. Do I need to have a PSP version/made before a certain date or product number to play the roms/emu's? How do I tell which version/model I have?
Yes, you need a system with either 1.0 or 1.5 firmware (1.0 beeing the japanese launch firmware, 1.5 beeing the USA launch firmware)

9. Which is the best version to own/play roms/emu's? That's mainly what I want a PSP for - not so much for PSP games, this all sounds so complicated.
1.5 is the most common to find because usa got a million of them iirc

10. Slerch666 said in another thread that no one reads the hand held section (I don't check it enough) - proves true, because I didn't realize you could play roms on PSP yet until tonight while talking to Bobak about it. (I was wondering by butta saying things like "I have the roms" though).

Please fill me in.

Btw, another great emu is the pcengine one... full speed and it emulated CD games :) enjoy dracula X or spriggan mark 2 portable

Last edited:

Mushiki

flaming petrosexual,
15 Year Member
barf said:
here we go

because NeoGeo games don t fit entirely in the 32MB of RAM (even more true since you don t have the full 32MB free). NeoCD are meant to be streamed to the 8MB memory of the system (afaik) that s why THEY FIT. More, the emulation is a derivate from the DC emulator which is verry optimized, that allows a full speed emulation with sound in most games... and that s wonderfull (best emu on PSP hands down)

Not yet

Yes they are for games. Videos are another ballpark, don t know chinese UMD Video zone

Nope, only some play at full speed. Pal games play more full speed while a lot of NTSC ones fluctuate between 52 and 61 fps
Few examples:
Mario World / Mario All Stars: Full Speed
Zelda: Full Speed
Chrono Trigger : almost full Speed (full speed at 30fps with frameskip 1)
Donkey Kong Country: verry poor
Bahamut Lagood: slide show introduction

Via the USB connection to your PC the console is recognized like a removable hard disk

Yes, MP4 format. The best quality videos i made were with 3GP tweaking well the thing. in virtual dub i crop the video to be 16:9 then i brake the aspect ratio and encode in 320x240. after that when i play on the PSP i choose full screen which usualy breaks the aspect ratio but not this time since the video was prepared to be at the correct ratio full screen. it s difficult to explain but this makes the best quality.

biggest: 2GB
best: Sandisk, not the game edition (it s more expensive though)
cheapest: Sandisk gamer edition afaik, still expensive
there are SDCard adaptors in the works though.

You need to have a UMD in the drive before launching the ripped game (the game needs to launch certain system modules off the UMD for protection purpose)

Yes, you need a system with either 1.0 or 1.5 firmware (1.0 beeing the japanese launch firmware, 1.5 beeing the USA launch firmware)

1.5 is the most common to find because usa got a million of them iirc

Please fill me in.

I don't understand... are you answering your own questions? If so, your replies are pretty accurate. The Neo-Geo CD only has 56Mbit of RAM though.

Mawdsley

Belnar Institute Student
Mushiki said:
I don't understand... are you answering your own questions? If so, your replies are pretty accurate. The Neo-Geo CD only has 56Mbit of RAM though.
Hes replying to SnairDogg's questions, but not using quotes.

barf

Maxima's Barber
Mawdsley said:
Hes replying to SnairDogg's questions, but not using quotes.

I was too lazy for the quotes ^^;;; shame on me... (plus i am drunk, excuse x2)

Mushiki

flaming petrosexual,
15 Year Member
barf said:

Haha, I did not read the above post either

TrueTrials

Olly C,
15 Year Member
Mawdsley said:
My local GAME store has a jap demo psp and I had them try out a UMD movie to see if it would work, but they got a message saying they had to update the firmware. This isnt conclusive either way, as I have no idea what version it was running and what version it requires or if once the firmware is upgrade it will complain about region.

The Game stores have V1.5 Jap PSP's, my manager nearly updated it to 2.0 before I pried it from his hands! The first few days of september should prove alot of things about regions and firmwares and the downgraders etc, hopefully things will all be ok for the homebrew stuff.

Mawdsley

Belnar Institute Student
barf said:
Lol I wasnt having a go at anyone about it. Just explaining what happened. Just dont do it again or I will hunt u down. :kekeke:

TrueTrials said:
The Game stores have V1.5 Jap PSP's, my manager nearly updated it to 2.0 before I pried it from his hands! The first few days of september should prove alot of things about regions and firmwares and the downgraders etc, hopefully things will all be ok for the homebrew stuff
Buy the demo model come release day ;)

Blue Steel

previously "bubu_X"
So you can't play Neo Geo games on it? Bobak told me he saw someone playing Samurai Shodown V at the last Neo gathering he was at. :conf:

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
SnairDogg said:
So you can't play Neo Geo games on it? Bobak told me he saw someone playing Samurai Shodown V at the last Neo gathering he was at. :conf:

No way, you understood it bad or the crack pipe was at its best at that time. You can only play NGCD games and SSV is rom only.

Mawdsley

Belnar Institute Student
A UK Resident Evil Apocalypse UMD plays fine on my Jap 1.5 PSP. No complaints about region or firmware. That must mean that my local game had a JAP 1.0 PSP, unless the Transformers UMD required 1.51/1.52 or 2. Will try games and more movies tomorrow.

Mawdsley

Belnar Institute Student
TrueTrials said:

Sounds like PSP shipping with 1.52 is true, but according to Yoshihiro, some retailers are being forced to upgrade the firmware to v2 before selling. Probably as a result of the rumoured downgrade.

soapy_jack23

Crazed MVS Addict
omfg this is impossible to do. I have been at my computer for hours now (4 to be exact). I learnt that I need to use a hack for v1.5 so I did that and the emulator loads. But it only loads for 2 seconds and then back to the psp screen. :very_ang:
I downloaded neocd.zip and .bin................fuckorz nothing works. Is it maybe just my emulator? I have tried 3 of them and none work. If someone can pm or email me all neccesary files for emulator and so on and explain how to load it that would be so pimp! I would be forever in your debt since the 300 odd bux I spent on this psp (plus the hundred I spent on the memory card) wouldn't go to waste.
My email is soapy_jack23@yahoo.ca I am very bad with emu's haha never use em but the thought of playing ss2 on the go..... :buttrock:

Blue Steel

previously "bubu_X"
If I buy one of these at a store, like EB/walmart, how can I tell what version it is? I don't want to get a newer one and not be able to play emulators on it.

soapy_jack23

Crazed MVS Addict
From what I have learnt online is that they only have hacks for v.1 and v1.5 anything higher they don't have yet. I am sure if you did get one with a higher version you could use emu's but you will have to wait for it to be hacked.

E=MC2

Ass Troll,, Ignorant, , , , (Do Not Resuscitate)
seen somebody playing kof 99 in the train on it day before yesterday. he had lots of emus for different consoles and a 2gig stick. i remember my ps2 pads quicky dying on me when playing games like motw and sf3ts. the psp pad dousnt look like a hell of a lot stronger imo, isnt this just ruining you dpad when playing fighting games on it. the dpad isnt quite made for qcf fighters (snk,cap). i really loved the neo cd pads dpad but it dies too quickly too. they should make something like it in the future for a console but one that will last and wont get dirty so quickly.

Mawdsley

Belnar Institute Student
UK F1 Grand Prix requires 1.52 and the WAB Version changer works fine and allows you to play it.