Official A/V Thread

BryLmoo

AES Contact Cleaner, Extraordinaire!!!,
20 Year Member
I'll take a look at that site! Thanks yall!

Neo Ash

NG.com Audiophile, Club Member,
Here are some pics of recent additions that I picked up a couple of months or so back. Now I'm thinking of going with low watt SET amps and high efficiency speakers.

What a hobby.:annoyed:

Vincent tube monoblocks mated with a Vincent tube preamp. DH Labs external bi-wire. The amps run hot as hell in Class A....wish they had better heatsinks. Not sure i'll enjoy that additional heat when summer comes back around.

DSC01067.jpg

DSC01083.jpg

DSC01076.jpg

DSC01075.jpg

Kristian Meller

Vanguard Pilot
10 Year Member
Those look sweet. I've checked them out a few times, but always decided to spend a bit less ;)

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
Looking for a mid range HDTV around the 32'' range. Gaming will be its primary use and so I'm looking for something with very minimal to no input delay.
Suggestions are appreciated, or just pointing me in the direction of any guides. My current TV is a 6 year old magnavox with a big ol tube... so this is not my area of expertise.

Neo Ash

Looking for a mid range HDTV around the 32'' range. Gaming will be its primary use and so I'm looking for something with very minimal to no input delay.
Suggestions are appreciated, or just pointing me in the direction of any guides. My current TV is a 6 year old magnavox with a big ol tube... so this is not my area of expertise.

Consider picking up a 20" Sony PVM. They are great CRTs and perfect for game consoles. They are multi-standard (NTSC, NTSC 4.43, PAL, SECAM) and support composite, component, RGB, S-Video in & out and support 4:3 and 16:9. RGB....FTW:buttrock: They are easy to find on eBay at a good price, especially older models. These monitors are well built and designed for pro video/editing and last forever. A 20" CRT is IMO a great way to go for older consoles, and if you get a PVM it will have support for composite for the newer systems.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
Consider picking up a 20" Sony PVM. They are great CRTs and perfect for game consoles. They are multi-standard (NTSC, NTSC 4.43, PAL, SECAM) and support composite, component, RGB, S-Video in & out and support 4:3 and 16:9. RGB....FTW:buttrock: They are easy to find on eBay at a good price, especially older models. These monitors are well built and designed for pro video/editing and last forever. A 20" CRT is IMO a great way to go for older consoles, and if you get a PVM it will have support for composite for the newer systems.

Its for a ps3. hahaha

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Sharp Aquos LC-32GP1U does a great job. It's a few years old, so if you can find one the price should be nice.

HDMI, dvi, component, s-vid, composite, & rf.

I miss my RGB rig; however, this is a Swiss Army knife of a tv.

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
Hey kids, since this is the AV thread, I thought I'd ask here instead of making a whole new thread. I'm in the market for a new TV. As much as I prefer playing on my old brick for my older games, the damn thing bleeds reds and the sound is starting to crackle. I was talking to Jedah and he said something about LED-LCD or something like that. I get confused with all the different types. I mainly use my TV for gaming and watching movies. If you guys have any good suggestions, let me know. Also. Do you know if it's better to buy one now, or wait until they start having sales for the Super Bowl? Thanks for your help. Looking forward to getting into HD finally.

Neo Ash

Hey kids, since this is the AV thread, I thought I'd ask here instead of making a whole new thread. I'm in the market for a new TV. As much as I prefer playing on my old brick for my older games, the damn thing bleeds reds and the sound is starting to crackle. I was talking to Jedah and he said something about LED-LCD or something like that. I get confused with all the different types. I mainly use my TV for gaming and watching movies. If you guys have any good suggestions, let me know. Also. Do you know if it's better to buy one now, or wait until they start having sales for the Super Bowl? Thanks for your help. Looking forward to getting into HD finally.
If the $$$ is not a big issue, I'd go with LED. IMO LED will be the mainstream norm in a few years. It's great for movies and games. The black levels are/near the quality of Plasma. The refresh for games is great. A buddy has a 50" LED, I forget the brand, xBox360 looks fantastic!

Maybe a video/T.V. buff will reply; audio is more my thing.

A-Train

Quiz Detective
20 Year Member
So I'm looking into putting together a 2 channel setup (strictly music), and I'm stumbling on what speakers to go with. The room it's going to be in is small (probably 12x12, approximately), so I'm thinking bookshelf. I'm looking to spend $300 or less for a pair. Any suggestions?

Neo Ash

So I'm looking into putting together a 2 channel setup (strictly music), and I'm stumbling on what speakers to go with. The room it's going to be in is small (probably 12x12, approximately), so I'm thinking bookshelf. I'm looking to spend $300 or less for a pair. Any suggestions?
$300 is tight, but there are many good options. Your money will go farther with bookshelf speakers and much farther if you shop in the used market. Now, you will not get earth shattering bass. The goal should be good mids and highs as you could add a sub later. Your small room will help emphasize the lows.

To make good suggestions, please post the associated gear that will be used.
If you want to get into greater details, feel free to send me a PM.
I strongly suggest you audition speakers, in the end you have to like them.

Suggestions:

Polk

Many years ago, I made a humble start into hi-fi with a pair of Polk bookshelfs. Good sound to price ratio, purchased 2nd hand. Years later they are still being used by my parents in their home; still a good speaker. I cannot remember if they are the R10 or R15; they are out of production and I’m not sure they offer a current equivalent. The TSi200 @ ~$320 could a good consideration; however, I have not heard the current Polk product line.

Energy
I would place Energy as 2nd more or less to the sound of their Canadian competition, Paradigm. It has been 7 or so years from the last time I heard an Energy speaker, it was good sound I just prefer the Paradigm sound. My suggestion would be to stick with their Veritas product line.

Paradigm

I have owned more than one pair of their speakers over the years. Great sound for the money. I have no problem recommending this brand. Check out the Mini Monitor.

PSB
Fantastic sound for the $$$ spent! Period.

Totem
Their products have always been tops in my opinion. I fell in love with Totem the first time I heard the Staffs about five years ago. When a speaker leaves an impression that lasts for years, that’s saying something! Look at the Dreamcather, basically the Arro cut down to a bookshelf. Beautiful sound, fit, and finish. BTW the Arro has an almost cult like following among Totem fans/owners.

Last edited:

A-Train

Quiz Detective
20 Year Member
Thanks! As it stands now, since I don't have anything just yet, I'm probably going with an Onkyo TX-8255 (I just want something simple to start with for a receiver, as I figure I can easily get into the pre-amp/amp/vacuum tubes everywhere kind of thing further down the road). The other bonus is that it's cheap enough that I've convinced my mom to get it for me for Christmas, so that's a plus.

As for a turntable, my mind is changing every day. I've been heavily leaning towards the Debut III, since it's reasonably priced, has a few easily upgraded things, and can play 78s. Do I own any 78s? Not at this time. But we're on a site dedicated to a pricey, defunct game system. I think we can all understand that we're prone to sudden fixations on esoteric things ;) I've also been looking at the Rega RP1, but have read a few reviews that have scared me off just a bit (just some weird issues here and there). I've also heard some good things about the Music Hall MMF-2.2.

As for speakers, I'm thinking I might hit up a few local (Chicago area) shops this Saturday to listen to some things, especially some of your suggestions. I was initially looking at some Polk things (affordable, readily available, but might not necessarily be the best in the same price range), but now I'm leaning towards other stuff. I've heard good things about the Wharfedale Diamond 10.1s, but ultimately, being able to listen to a few things in person, even if I have to drive all over to do so, will be the biggest deciding factor. I'm just trying to find something that I'll be happy with that's just as good playing John Coltrane as it is Deicide.

tl;dr summary time- I'm confused and all of my research is just making it worse, so your (and anyone else that wants to jump in) advice is a blessing.

Last edited:

Neo Ash

Glad I could help. I will post a reply to your last post later today/tonight.

I'm actually going to a metro-atlanta hifi shop later today to look at some speakers. It's a shop I have not been to before so I'm not sure what all they have.

Going to look at some Klipsch Cornwall III's, as I'm thinking of going SET.

Last edited:

Neo Ash

Thanks! As it stands now, since I don't have anything just yet, I'm probably going with an Onkyo TX-8255 (I just want something simple to start with for a receiver, as I figure I can easily get into the pre-amp/amp/vacuum tubes everywhere kind of thing further down the road). The other bonus is that it's cheap enough that I've convinced my mom to get it for me for Christmas, so that's a plus.
Ok, so from what you've stated above it sounds like you are committing to this as a hobby. For not a lot more than that Onkyo you could get a Cambridge Audio Topaz AM10. If you go that route you'll be jumping from a receiver to a integrated and testing the waters with a more "audiophile" piece of gear. I have spent some time listening to the Cambridge products and they are simply wonderful. When you consider the price point, the stuff is damn hard to beat; I would buy their products for say a bedroom system or casual listening area.

Now, if you look inside that little Topaz there's not a lot to it. That is actually a good thing. Simple designs usually sound better. You certainly don't want video paths inside whatever you buy. Also you don't want it to be well...crammed full of shit and a zillion circuit boards.
x779AM10B-F.jpeg

x779AM10B-o_other.jpeg

As for a turntable, my mind is changing every day. I've been heavily leaning towards the Debut III, since it's reasonably priced, has a few easily upgraded things, and can play 78s. Do I own any 78s? Not at this time. But we're on a site dedicated to a pricey, defunct game system. I think we can all understand that we're prone to sudden fixations on esoteric things ;) I've also been looking at the Rega RP1, but have read a few reviews that have scared me off just a bit (just some weird issues here and there). I've also heard some good things about the Music Hall MMF-2.2.

All three of those are good options. IMO the RP1 is superior to the Debut III, it uses a better tonearm.

As for speakers, I'm thinking I might hit up a few local (Chicago area) shops this Saturday to listen to some things, especially some of your suggestions. I was initially looking at some Polk things (affordable, readily available, but might not necessarily be the best in the same price range), but now I'm leaning towards other stuff. I've heard good things about the Wharfedale Diamond 10.1s, but ultimately, being able to listen to a few things in person, even if I have to drive all over to do so, will be the biggest deciding factor. I'm just trying to find something that I'll be happy with that's just as good playing John Coltrane as it is Deicide.
Polk was the bottom of the barrel suggestion, suggested only due to the tight budget. Good pick on the Wharfedale. I got to hear the Opus2-3, if I’m not mistaken, at AXPONA 2011. Honestly, it put some much more expensive speakers to shame. The Totem I suggested earlier and the S520 by Usher are good slightly more expensive options.

Remember to audition as much as you can. Also, listen to gear that is slightly above your budget as well as gear that is ridiculously out of budget. Trust me if you find stuff you love that is just above your budget save up your cash and buy what you really want; doing that will save money in the long run if you intend music/hi-fi to be a hobby. And an addicting hobby it can be!
PM me if you need more info or don’t feel comfortable posting $$$ amounts on what you’re looking to buy.

Last edited:

TurboCro

AESwipe,
My lazy setup. Current Gen + 16 bit. No need to unplug anything to play anything else.

sfgvwg.jpg

2upvaqe.jpg

dbiemf.jpg

2pzmzhj.jpg

Last edited:

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Vincent tube monoblocks mated with a Vincent tube preamp. DH Labs external bi-wire. The amps run hot as hell in Class A....wish they had better heatsinks. Not sure i'll enjoy that additional heat when summer comes back around.

DSC01067.jpg

DSC01083.jpg

DSC01076.jpg

DSC01075.jpg

Oh wow don't know how I missed this post. Pretty badass.

What kind of media components do you have hooked up to that setup?

Just a CDP?

TurboCro

AESwipe,
Bling Bling

fryut.jpg

264qtcg.jpg

I love MVC, but dam, sometimes its just too much goin on for this old fart. Kizuna hits the spot.

Neo Ash

Oh wow don't know how I missed this post. Pretty badass.

What kind of media components do you have hooked up to that setup?

Just a CDP?

Thanks dude. Proof positive I've gone off the deep end....eh?

Rega CDP. No turntable at the moment due to another system overhaul; I will most likely be going with a Clearaudio.

I've been bitten pretty bad by the upgrade bug this year. I'll post pics of the new setup as soon as the dust settles.

Still enjoying the Maggies terry.330???

Neo Ash

Ash, how much do those Vincent amps go for?
They sure are purdy.

A little under $3,000 for the pair. Excellent performance for the money.

I'm in the process of making the transition to horns and flea watt SET point-to-point wired tube amps. In my experience as speaker sensitivity goes up and watts go down things just sound better. Finally, I hope to get a turntable back in the mix and be "done" for a while if that is possible.

Last edited:

Orpheus

One Nut,
20 Year Member
A little under $3,000 for the pair. Excellent performance for the money.

I'm in the process of making the transition to horns and flea watt SET point-to-point wired tube amps. In my experience as speaker sensitivity goes up and watts go down things just sound better. Finally, I hope to get a turntable back in the mix and be "done" for a while if that is possible.

Really, which horns are you after.
It's funny you mention horn speakers actually. Last year My mom tells me that she made a really cool purchase at an estate sale and that I would be proud. I was a bit skeptical to say the least but lo and behold when I walk into their house I see a ginormous pair of Klipschhorns (not regular old klipch's from best buy but the flagship monolith lookin mother fuckersthat have been their bread and butter offering for decades), to top it all off it was a vintage pair (circa 1970's) with plywood horn cones as opposed to the plastic ones they use now when having a pair built.

I was pretty dumbfounded as she has no knowledge of that stuff at all but she said that when she was at the sale the speakers were part of a whole setup and when they demonstrated it the sound was like no other. The kit the speakers were hooked up to was sold unfortunately. I would have loved to have known what components it was particuarly because the speakers were such a deal (I think they set her back $400) and I can only imagine how much the components would have been seeing as the speakers are easily worth around $3k.

We still don't have any kit hooked up to the things but I am trying to set something up.

In regards to turntables I actually just got one myself. It's a Pro-ject Debut III with the separate Phono Box USB II. the turntable itself is white and I am partial to the same model in red so I may go with that. Regardless of the color I choose I am upgrading to the thicker acrylic platter and the beefy LP weight. If funds permit later on I may also see if I can upgrade not just the stylus but the tone arm as well (to a carbon fiber version).

This shit gets addicting.

Neo Ash

Really, which horns are you after.
Well, I wish I could say a pair by Acapella. They are a little outside my price range. Beautiful speakers; I have had the pleasure of auditioning a pair.

I will be getting a pair of Heresy III or the Cornwall III. I'm afraid the bass could be a little boomy with the Cornwalls in my small room; we'll see.
The Klipsch Heritage line is night and day different from the entry level products the company has to offer. All are built to order and handmade in the USA. IMO the only way to properly hear any of the speakers from the Heritage line is with tube amplification.

Your Mon got a great deal on those KHorns. If purchasing new today, a pair would set her back $9K. At only $400 put some cash into upgrades/restoration and some good tube gear; I promise you will both be very happy with that initial $400 purchase!