Not SNK related, but videogame related.

That Guy

Cheng's Errand Boy
My gaming passion extends to just about all platforms, much as some of you. So I extend my question to the experts here of all things gaming related.

I just learned that you can install a HDD in a PS2, however I don't know what a HDD looks like and what model is right. Mine PS2, which is the big old school one, has a net work adapter on it, but the bay behind it it is empty. Pictured is what I have: ps2network adapter.jpg I'm assuming that's where the HDD would go.

Is anyone willing to school me on this?

That Guy

Cheng's Errand Boy
I appreciate the answer and link. I guess what I meant to ask was did you have to install a Sony PS2 specific HDD or could any HDD fit in there?

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
I appreciate the answer and link. I guess what I meant to ask was did you have to install a Sony PS2 specific HDD or could any HDD fit in there?

You can only use the old school IDE drives in the PS2. They have to be 40GB at the very least, you can pick them up cheap these days. In order to use the drive you need to get a custom chip installed, or use a third party software. Google is your friend.

That Guy

Cheng's Errand Boy
So a little further reading mentions that I need a utility disk to get it all working together, yet I can find only one on ebay for an insane price. Any ideas?

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
Please post a link to what you're referencing. It's been a long time since I've done anything with my fat PS2.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
Ok, now... what are you trying to accomplish in obtaining this disc? I will try to help you.

That Guy

Cheng's Errand Boy
Ok, now... what are you trying to accomplish in obtaining this disc? I will try to help you.
Cats out of the bag at this point, so it should be no surprise when I admit I'm not electronics guru/expert. I'm just trying to make sure that I get this installed and functioning correctly. I imagine like any hardware it needs the proper software to function. My my understanding is that with this hardrive installed I can download the games straight to the hard drive removing the need for a disk and also speeding up gameplay and reducing load times. That's my goal.

you might be better off with something like this that all ready to go
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Final-Fanta...US_Video_Game_Hard_Drives&hash=item2587cd8b9c

I would have considered and maybe even purchased it, but I found the PS2 official harddrives, sans FF game for a much better price. But thanks for the suggestion.

That Guy

Cheng's Errand Boy
Awesome guys for all your help, it's all come together. Just need to wait to buy the disk.

Again, sincerely, thanks for all the help!

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Why not just soft mod your PS2? Get a McBoot card from Shadowfamicom here on the site.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
*This thread should probably have gone in unrelated discussion

CFinley

Banned
Do you want the HDD to play games off of it? If thats all you want, you don't need anything fancy. I have a disk that I pop in the PS2, format the HDD, install my games and I'm good to go. I keep the original disk copies because yada yada yada. If this what you want to do?

That Guy

Cheng's Errand Boy
Do you want the HDD to play games off of it? If thats all you want, you don't need anything fancy. I have a disk that I pop in the PS2, format the HDD, install my games and I'm good to go. I keep the original disk copies because yada yada yada. If this what you want to do?

Sir, that is EXACTLY what I want and am looking to do. Can you make a copy of said disk?