No picture on Neo Geo AES

Sepeh

Crossed Swords Squire
Hi,

I just bought Neo Geo AES PAL console with all the cables etc.

I tried to hook it up with AV Scart which came with it but I don't get any picture or sound from it. Cable looks like this:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a104/evilevo8/NeoGeoJAP21PIN.jpg

I also had a spare cable whick looks like this but there was no picture and no sound as well:

http://i46.tinypic.com/2rwpyzt.jpg

I used my LCD TV and also my friend's CRT. No picture and sound at all.

Could it be the power supply? Do any other consoles power supplies work with my PAL Neo Geo AES? Console model is NEO-AEC, serial no. 046199. "Use PRO-POW-E AC adaptor only"

Picture of my power supply which game with the system:

http://i4.aijaa.com/b/00708/9741785.jpg

I bought it from these forums and the seller told that it worked before he sent it.

Odd thing I found when I used my friend's CRT, it made strange little sound from one of the speakers when I used the first AV scart cable.

Also, I tested it with five different games. None of them got picture or sound.

What is your opinion on this matter?

Last edited:

hektic

n00b
hi,

Have you tried headphone socket? If you get sound from here at least you know its not dead :)

Good luck

mmmonkey

Quiz Detective
A Sega Mega Drive 1 PSU will power that. Might be worth a go if you have one handy.

Sepeh

Crossed Swords Squire
Hi again,

Thanks for the replies. I tried headphone socker first, no sound at all.

I had a Mega Drive 1 PSU and used it, the system power went on! But the screen is showing only white color and weird buzzing noise from speakers. Do you know what could cause this?

fremen

Hardened Shock Trooper
Hi,

Hi again,

I had a Mega Drive 1 PSU and used it, the system power went on! But the screen is showing only white color and weird buzzing noise from speakers. Do you know what could cause this?

Is the white color with or without a cart?

Saludos

Joneo

Belnar Institute Student
This isn't a Japanese-wired SCART (style) cable with a EURO-SCART TV input issue, is it?

Last edited:

Sepeh

Crossed Swords Squire
Hi,
Is the white color with or without a cart?

Saludos
I tested with several carts and I noticed that I get normal picture with King of Fighters 98 but no sound! Then tested with Fatal Fury Special and King of Fighters 2002, same white picture when I turn my system on without a cart.

This isn't a Japanese-wired SCART (style) cable with a EURO-SCART TV input issue, is it?
What's this? I couldn't find anything with the search...

Tested these games with my Mega Drive 1 PSU. What could cause that King of Fighters 98 gets a picture but no sound and Fatal Fury Special and King of Fighters 2002 no picture and no sound?

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
A really dirty cartridge slot/cartridge. Try cleaning with some isopropyl alcohol. To clean the slot I use a cloth soaked in isopropyl and a credit card or something similar, Just insert and remove until all the gunk is gone.

Joneo

Belnar Institute Student
What's this? I couldn't find anything with the search...
Tested these games with my Mega Drive 1 PSU. What could cause that King of Fighters 98 gets a picture but no sound and Fatal Fury Special and King of Fighters 2002 no picture and no sound?
The Japanese RGB cable uses a SCART style plug, but is wired differently than the EURO SCART. Originally I saw "I tested it with five different games. None of them got picture or sound.", so thought this could be a possibility. If you're getting getting picture with some and sound with others, it rules that out though.

At this point I think lachlan's idea is a better bet. Clean (carefully) the carts & system slot and re-test.

fremen

Hardened Shock Trooper
Hi,

I tested with several carts and I noticed that I get normal picture with King of Fighters 98 but no sound! Then tested with Fatal Fury Special and King of Fighters 2002, same white picture when I turn my system on without

I'm not an expert, but if you obtain video with a kof98, I think imho that it's not a scart problem.
Clean the slot and the carts as Lachan suggest you.

Saludos

Sepeh

Crossed Swords Squire
Hello again,

Been quite busy lately and I haven't had time to test the system but I just tested it again.

Thanks for the replies. I tested the headphone socket and I indeed get a sound from it. So it's really a scart problem for the sound.

Got several games from my friend and some of them worked greatly and other games just got the blank white screen, when system is turned on and there is no game.

So dirty cartidge slot really makes this that some carts work and some doesn't? I need to find isopropyl and clean my carts. They seem to be in good condition and no dirt in cartidges, so is it normal that cartidges that seem to be clean from the cartidge slots, may not work still (they need more cleaning)?

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
It's not "dirt" you're looking for on your cartridge edge connectors, it's dust mostly. That alone can be enough to disrupt the connection. Just use isopropyl and a pile of Q-tips on all the cartridges. For the console, there's a few methods that can work, like a toothbrush, credit card + cloth or even a cartridge with isopropyl-wetted edge connectors.

SNKNostalgia

Avid Neo-Expert
I always start with a toothbrush and alcohol to get the heavy duty cleaning, then finish off with a card and thin cloth with alcohol to get the loose dirt. After that, it should be completely clean. Corrosion could be another issue that will call for you to open the system up and check the traces. Once opened, you will get a closer look at the cart slot and traces with a good flashlight.

I remember what a blue screen and green screen means, but forgot what a white screen means. Perhaps lack of power to the console? I know the blue screen is no cart/bad cart connection. Do you ever get that screen at times?

Sepeh

Crossed Swords Squire
Thanks again for the replies. Great update!

I bought a new RGB scart and PSU, now all the games are working properly! So the problem was either on the scart or with the PSU. Really weird that King of Fighters 98 was playable but no sound and for example Fatal Aero Fighters 2, Fury Special, King of Fighters 2002 etc. only got white screen.

Didn't really need to clean any of my cartidges but i will keep those tips in mind if some game won't start!

SNKNostalgia, I only got white screen with the other games.