Nintendo Wii bad for gaming In gerenal?

arcadematt

Quiz Detective
I have had tried to like the Wii and Its novelty controllers and can see past It. I feel that the actual game content has all but gone and been replaced with developers spending to much time on improving the sensitivity of the controller and we are going backwards in terms of trying to improve the games we played 20 years ago.

Im a hardcore gamer and worry that games like shmups and platform games have been hit with the final nail In there coffin. Dont get me wrong the Wii's fun for young kids and party's but lacks any real challenge and replay that games like shinobi and street fighter 2 have had over 15-20 years after there release. If Sony and microsoft follow suit, It may well mark the end of video games. I would personally like to see the market go full circle. by returning to Its roots of loads of different genres and full amusement arcades again. Online gaming Is good but does not compair to the face to face experence of playing video games together.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Dont get me wrong the Wii's fun for young kids and party's but lacks any real challenge and replay that games like shinobi and street fighter 2 have had over 15-20 years after there release. If Sony and microsoft follow suit, It may well mark the end of video games

Umm yeah, all the developers have already followed suit. Games are just movies today.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
A lot of the Wii's games are simply nothing but shovelware.

But, there are some good games on the system.

subcons

I take no official position on the issue.,
I don't personally like the Wii very much for playing video games, but I also wouldn't say it's the reason for much of anything changing that you're talking about. Those things would likely have taken that course regardless of the invention of Wiimotes. Maybe I'm way off though. Perhaps five or ten years from now that stuff will over take the market and games that use conventional controllers will start to fade. Who knows?

I will give it to the Wii though. It tapped into a part of the market that was entirely ignored before: people that don't play video games. In that sense, it's fucking genius. Will it shape the market? Doubtful.

Phyeir

My only regret is that I have... Boneitis!
The Nintendo Wii just brings in a different type of crap games. The X360 and PS3 are full of crap games, they just tend to be terrible FPS or action games. The Nintendo Wii instead pulls in party shovelware. The only difference is the X360/PS3 audience for a large part can sense a crap game (or at least reads reviews). Nintendo has a nice thing for themslves and developers getting into that new market of soccer moms that just like the idea of swinging their arm to something colorful. Hence why you see so many of them... cheap games that STILL sell to a profit.

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
I just played tomb raider underworld? on the wii.
I played the xbox demo of it, and it works great on that controller and I'm
sure it works great with the ps3 controller, but man the wii setup was terrible.
I picked it up and did the same level that I did on the xbox demo and was
so frustrated I was put down the controller and did something else.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I will give it to the Wii though. It tapped into a part of the market that was entirely ignored before: people that don't play video games. In that sense, it's fucking genius.

Completely agreed.

Casual and non-video game players are the market demographic for the Wii.

The Wii isn't a system for "hardcore" gamers.

That's really just how it is.

SPINMASTER X

I AM NOT FRENCHMAN,, I AM A HUMAN BEING!,
20 Year Member
Ultimately nintendo is basically trying to do what that new movie "Gamer" is doing. They are trying to be the first ones to make games seem real. Each new system is a prototype for the final big next step in console games. I think this is why the games on the wii aren't what we traditionally like. The next nintendo system is gonna have even less games that we like and so on and so forth.

Either prepare to be lawn mower man or get left in dust.

payment_due

Arcade Trading Room Troll? Well its about damn t
I had a wii and couldn't stand the controls. I modded it and even with 'free games' it just wasn't worth my time. Lagduf is right, 99% shovelware, .5% First Party games that are good, and .5% other good games.

Nintendo was smart by broadening their demographic, but in terms of 'hardcore' gaming, it's trash. I'm glad I got rid of it, even with a new Zelda and Metroid on the horizon.

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
Im a pissy gamer and hate everything.

Whine whine whine cry cry cry.

arcadematt

Quiz Detective
Im a pissy gamer and hate everything.

Whine whine whine cry cry cry.

I would love to be positive about the future of the gaming Industry, be I cant. Its looking bleak, They dont make games consoles anymore. You either buy a media centre with movies instead of real games, or buy a nintendont. Its annoying to say the least

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
And every few years it happens again and people pine for the days when we were playing Frogger.

Suck it up and move forward.

arcadematt

Quiz Detective
And every few years it happens again and people pine for the days when we were playing Frogger.

Suck it up and move forward.

Halo 78 anyone? we arent moving forward we are getting stale of the same crap week in week out. I crave new content.

hanafuda

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
HEY GUYS LETS PLAY ANIMAL CROSSING!!!

You mean the one that's the same as the DS version?

Nah, let's play Metroid Prime, now with Waggle. Now we're really talking progress!

Nintendo couldn't compete with the competition directly so took the only route they could - a low cost Gamecube with motion controls. It paid off too. However, I'll never buy another one.

Going forward I think it is going to struggle.

arcadematt

Quiz Detective
Nintendo couldn't compete with the competition directly so took the only route they could - a low cost Gamecube with motion controls.

Thats what worries me. Nintendo have' nt what it takes so they took the novelty route and not the brave all out with a wide range of great games. If they did they would be called SErvice GAmes. Sega took chances they out did everything that was thrown at them. If only they could get the hardware right for a change because there software takes care of its self.

payment_due

Arcade Trading Room Troll? Well its about damn t
Feel the same as Hanafuda. I like the DS for gaming on the go, but as far as home consoles, the wii is dead last. It's like Nintendo took the N64 library and multiplied it by 10, and mixed that in with the 3D gimmickof the Virtual Boy (or any gimmick really) and birthed the Wii.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Nintendo couldn't compete with the competition directly so took the only route they could - a low cost Gamecube with motion controls.

Thats what worries me. Nintendo have' nt what it takes so they took the novelty route and not the brave all out with a wide range of great games. If they did they would be called SErvice GAmes. Sega took chances they out did everything that was thrown at them. If only they could get the hardware right for a change because there software takes care of its self.

Sega's only worthwhile as a publisher nowadays.

tony starks

Starks is always out.
Personally imo the Wii will always be a secondary system, nothing more nothing less.

DangerousK

MotoGP and Formula 1 Freak
20 Year Member
Sega's only worthwhile as a publisher nowadays.

No they really aren't.

Do you see Yakuza 3 even being released here? If they were worthwhile, they would have brought it to the US.