NGCD Pad vs. modified SNES pad

unofficialitguy

Hardened Shock Trooper
I'm looking at some of the prices of NGCD gamepads on eBay (to test the controller ports on my 4 slot and 1 slot MVS boards) and did some reading up on people talking about rewiring a SNES controller for the NG 15-pin connector. I have a few spare SNES controllers that I could modify but before I do, I was wondering what people prefer since I never used a NGCD controller. Is the NGCD pad decent or are the modified SNES controllers preferred?

Ninjainspandex

Sakura's Bank Manager
Nothing beats the feel of a good working Neo CD pad, I just love that little microswitch nub. Only downside is that those microswitches have a tendency to wear out so it can be tricky tracking down one without issues for a decent price. I guess nothing wrong with a snes controller but I'd much rather use a CD pad or an arcade stick with the proper Neo Geo button layout.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I like the SNES pad, but I don't think it's well suited for most Neo games. Saturn pads, on the other hand, pimp as fuck.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Depends on what you're Into. I like my NGCD pads for puzzle/metal slug games but pulling off moves that require a specific time gate like fighters or some of the harder SHMUPS would need a more accurate controller, preferably a stick.

I'd you have the ability to check it out go for it. You can always use another neo pad :)

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
SNES pad. Much more reliable and the D-pad is far more accurate. If it was possible to make the L & R buttons act as A+B and C+D, that'd be great.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
I like the SNES pad, but I don't think it's well suited for most Neo games. Saturn pads, on the other hand, pimp as fuck.

Yup. If I was going to convert any pad for Neo use, it would be either a Saturn pad or a 6-button Genesis pad. SNES controllers are OK, but nothing great. Certainly not better than a Neo CD controller.

unofficialitguy

Hardened Shock Trooper
Nothing beats the feel of a good working Neo CD pad, I just love that little microswitch nub. Only downside is that those microswitches have a tendency to wear out so it can be tricky tracking down one without issues for a decent price.
I'd you have the ability to check it out go for it. You can always use another neo pad :)
SNES controllers are OK, but nothing great. Certainly not better than a Neo CD controller.

Sounds like I should be looking at picking one up then. It sounds like it's more unique feeling then the others out there.

SNES pad. Much more reliable and the D-pad is far more accurate. If it was possible to make the L & R buttons act as A+B and C+D, that'd be great.

Now THAT is an interesting idea that I may need to look into when I do build a SNES modded controller.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Sounds like the answer is both.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Yup. If I was going to convert any pad for Neo use, it would be either a Saturn pad or a 6-button Genesis pad. SNES controllers are OK, but nothing great. Certainly not better than a Neo CD controller.

Maybe it's me, but I cannot reliably pull off more complex specials in fighters with the Neo pad.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Now THAT is an interesting idea that I may need to look into when I do build a SNES modded controller.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Sounds like the answer is both.
Yeah, it should be doable, take a look at the tutorials on Jamma Nation X, under "Supergun"->"Building" check out "Adding a x3 Function To Your Controller" :)

Also: No. The answer is "STICK".

unofficialitguy

Hardened Shock Trooper
ITguy, PLS.

:kekeke:

If I wanted to play with a stick, I'd use the two that are bolted onto my MVS.

After I test the ports with a NGCD or SNES pad, I'm going to bundle it with a CMVS I'm slowly working on for a friend that is currently Neo Geo-less.
I'll let him know that if he wants a stick he can go fetch.

Skips

Belnar Institute Student
For metal slug I prefer the NGCD pad. It is far easier to roll those diagonals for the machine gun than the SNES pad.

werejag

Galford's Poppy Trainer
i converted two pc joysticks for use on my first supergun those gravis ones. worked very nicely and the buttons could be rearranged to be proper

cr8zykuban0

Igniz's Servent
as much as I love the neo cd pad, it would be nice to have a modified snes pad for neo geo games as well

Ninjainspandex

Sakura's Bank Manager
I must admit I do use Saturn controllers on my supergun and it is quite nice, I have a little jamma fingerboard adapter that rewires the buttons to be more of a neo cd pad layout so X and Y = CD and AB= AB for when I use my 1 slot neo

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
I'm looking at some of the prices of NGCD gamepads on eBay (to test the controller ports on my 4 slot and 1 slot MVS boards) and did some reading up on people talking about rewiring a SNES controller for the NG 15-pin connector. I have a few spare SNES controllers that I could modify but before I do, I was wondering what people prefer since I never used a NGCD controller. Is the NGCD pad decent or are the modified SNES controllers preferred?

I previously had a pair of SNES controllers converted to Neo Geo / DB15 but overall wasn't too happy and got rid of them. Truth be told, they just doesn't seem to fit with the overall arcade experience of the Neo Geo - small, a bit flimsy and pretty unsatisfing to use. Moreover when modded these controllers often develop problems with the Start and Select button presses not registering or requiring to be pressed with excessive force. From what I read that may be due to people wiring the DB15 lines too near the actual buttons.
Neo Geo CD pads feel great and this is what I would recommend if you are after a pad. There are some reliability concerns in the long run, but unless you are going to be beating the crap out of the thing 24/7 you should get some decent play out of them.

Scott

Edo Express Delivery Guy
I'd argue the Neo-CD pad has a superior d-pad to even the almighty Saturn pad. SNES is my favorite pad for non-fighters, but the d-pad is a little lacking for quarter-circle movements. Pro-tip - if you're going with a SNES pad, get the Japanese one. The cable is a little bit shorter than the US model, but the d-pad is less sluggish. I don't think its a fluke either - I've owned several of each, and the Japanese pad feels nicer. Buttons are nicer too.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
My biggest complaint with the Neo CD pad is that it's entirely too easy to accidentally press a diagonal direction.