NEOSD PRO - The New Terranonion Neo Geo Product March 2018.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I guess that makes sense since it sounds like you plan to just leave the NeoSD in all the time. Perhaps some fan will design a shorter shell.

You could just remove the shell and find a small cloth or cover of some kind to keep the dust off I guess.

ShootTheCore

Genam's Azami Sharpener
Just did a quick check on KOF 2000 in the Flash and Ram slots. Flash appears to work fine, Ram has graphic glitches.

That's consistent with what I've been seeing on the TO Discord - it's the RAM slot that's more prone to glitching. It's unfortunate though since the RAM slot is one of the major reasons to go with the Pro over the regular cart.

Lamprey

n00b
I guess that makes sense since it sounds like you plan to just leave the NeoSD in all the time. Perhaps some fan will design a shorter shell.

You could just remove the shell and find a small cloth or cover of some kind to keep the dust off I guess.
The vision of looking at my Neo Geo with wash cloth draped over the NeoSD PCB, made me chuckle.

Lamprey

n00b
That's consistent with what I've been seeing on the TO Discord - it's the RAM slot that's more prone to glitching. It's unfortunate though since the RAM slot is one of the major reasons to go with the Pro over the regular cart.
Yeah, that is a bummer. I wonder if it is fixable with firmware or it it's design flaw? Hopefully, it is fixable with a firmware update. Although, it seems like it's been years and no fix, so who knows.

Babook

n00b
I have many issues with my NeoSD Pro, the worst being the Green Screens Of Death I'm getting from several games.
I cleaned the pins on my cart connector, they were squeaky clean before and still are.
The guys from TO are blaming my slot for being old (I bought it from a serious and reputable seller, who tests MVS slots before selling them) blah blah blah.
When I tell them the same games work flawlessly from a 161-in-1 and all my MVS carts work flawlessly on that slot, their answer is that their cart is more demanding and uses more pins on the cart connector, my power supply blah blah blah (I haven't seen an arcade system that couldn't be powered by my power supply yet)
Is the "more pins used" pure BS or is there science behind that claim?

Babook

n00b
I'm happy to report that my new NeoSd Pro seems to be working just fine. I kind of wish there was a shell available that was shorter. Since the Neo SD PCB is shorter it doesn't need to stick out so far, but maybe that's part of the Neo Geo charm. 🙂

I haven't seen any graphical glitches in my small amount of testing. Are there any game in particualar that are good to test with that are more prone to graphcal glitches?
Art of Fighting 3 in RAM. I get graphic glitches almost all the time

Sometimes lowering the voltage to 4.80V helps with graphic glitches in RAM

Lamprey

n00b
I was (and still will) going to open a support ticket with TO. I noticed on there wiki is says:
  • Certain games may present graphic glitches with the In-Game Menu / In-Game Trigger enabled. Disabling these should resolve them. (Super Sidekicks 2 is an example)
So, tried some different combos, but for my system havnig In-Game Trigger ON and In-Game Menu OFF and KOF 2000 doesn't display any graphical glitches when loaded into RAM.

Not sure if it is the same kind of issue, but I have seen similar issues with my FXPAK Pro (Everdrive) on games like Assult Suit Vulkan when the in-game hooks are enabled.

So you might try changing one or both of the In-Game settings on the NeoSD and see if that solves anything.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I was (and still will) going to open a support ticket with TO. I noticed on there wiki is says:

So, tried some different combos, but for my system havnig In-Game Trigger ON and In-Game Menu OFF and KOF 2000 doesn't display any graphical glitches when loaded into RAM.
The in-game trigger thing is a different long-known issue. Super Sidekicks 2 is the only gave I know of that's affected. I just keep the in-game trigger turned off to make sure it's not causing issues. Playing with this is not going to fix your new problems.

Lamprey

n00b
The in-game trigger thing is a different long-known issue. Super Sidekicks 2 is the only gave I know of that's affected. I just keep the in-game trigger turned off to make sure it's not causing issues. Playing with this is not going to fix your new problems.
I guess I'm confused as to why you say it won't fix my issues?

KOF 2000 has graphical glitches when the In-Game Menu is ON and has no glitches (that I can see) when OFF. So, that seems to have solved my issue, at least for that game.

I'll have to try some more games of course. Other people may not know that the in-game hooks could be causing an issue, so I was trying to show that it can help in certain scenarios. Maybe it doesn't fix everything and it certaily seems odd that it doesn't make a difference when using a Flash slot, but if people want to use the RAM slot and disabling an in-game hook allows that to happen, that seems like a good thing.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I guess I'm confused as to why you say it won't fix my issues?

KOF 2000 has graphical glitches when the In-Game Menu is ON and has no glitches (that I can see) when OFF. So, that seems to have solved my issue, at least for that game.

I'll have to try some more games of course. Other people may not know that the in-game hooks could be causing an issue, so I was trying to show that it can help in certain scenarios. Maybe it doesn't fix everything and it certaily seems odd that it doesn't make a difference when using a Flash slot, but if people want to use the RAM slot and disabling an in-game hook allows that to happen, that seems like a good thing.
It's news to me that it made any difference for anyone in KOF2000. Like I said though, even though it is useful for quick access, I leave the option turned off to be safe.

Hopefully people won't confuse the in-game hook issue with the ram slot issue that you and others are seeing. I don't know if the power supply will really make any difference for this. To me it just sounds as simple as bad/wrong ram was used in this batch.

Glitches in the menu does seem to be a normal issue with these, at least in the AES version. If the game boots glitchy, hitting reset always fixes it on my 5v 3-4 system with second batch NeoSD Pro.

Lamprey

n00b
Hopefully people won't confuse the in-game hook issue with the ram slot issue that you and others are seeing. I don't know if the power supply will really make any difference for this. To me it just sounds as simple as bad/wrong ram was used in this batch.
Just to be clear, I was talking about RAM slot issues. But, when disabling the In-Game hooks the issue went away. So, they do appear to be related, in this case anyways. Perhaps, there is some strange interaction with In-Game Hooks and the RAM slot? Who knows. I'm also using an MVS with Unibios, so I'm not sure if that changes anything? I also wouldn't be surprised that there are some bad chips out there, which would suck. Lots of variables.

I haven't tested every game in the RAM slot, just 3-4 that people say they have issues with and they all work, as far as I can tell.

I have read about some sound issues with the RAM slot. Are there any particular games where this manafests more than others? I'd be curious to give that a test too.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
TO would never do a recall knowing it would hinder their rep even though it is. They will just blame the end user for issues and such.
I don't think they care that much about their rep. The cost of such a recall would be significant.

deviljin102

Crossed Swords Squire
10 Year Member
Just to be clear, I was talking about RAM slot issues. But, when disabling the In-Game hooks the issue went away. So, they do appear to be related, in this case anyways. Perhaps, there is some strange interaction with In-Game Hooks and the RAM slot? Who knows. I'm also using an MVS with Unibios, so I'm not sure if that changes anything? I also wouldn't be surprised that there are some bad chips out there, which would suck. Lots of variables.

I haven't tested every game in the RAM slot, just 3-4 that people say they have issues with and they all work, as far as I can tell.

I have read about some sound issues with the RAM slot. Are there any particular games where this manafests more than others? I'd be curious to give that a test too.
If the RAM slots are bad perse, and disabling them solves the issue, basically people overpaid for a non-pro version of the NeoSD. Obviously, people will be upset with it not working as advertised. Don't get why TO didn't do quality control. Most likely only care about getting it out the door since SAG has a bulk contract with them. Don't know if this situation would make SAG be more careful in dealing with TO.

Lamprey

n00b
If the RAM slots are bad perse, and disabling them solves the issue, basically people overpaid for a non-pro version of the NeoSD. Obviously, people will be upset with it not working as advertised. Don't get why TO didn't do quality control. Most likely only care about getting it out the door since SAG has a bulk contract with them. Don't know if this situation would make SAG be more careful in dealing with TO.
No one is disabling there RAM slot. I don't even think you can. So, I'm not sure what you mean. I'f you just want to bash TO, just do it. No need to make stuff up.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
No, that's not what he's saying. He's talking about disabling the in-game hook, which is probably a good idea anyway.. You can't disable the ram slot.

Here is another possible solution from the T.O. forums.
Thanks for sharing. Not sure if I quite follow that. I believe that the System Mode and Region Setting get grayed out if you have a Unibios installed. Then the Backup Ram options are different. Mine are grayed out, and I don't have a "Yes" option for Backup Ram Save. Mine is currently set to "Continuous."

20240516_104838.jpg

Last edited:

deviljin102

Crossed Swords Squire
10 Year Member
No one is disabling there RAM slot. I don't even think you can. So, I'm not sure what you mean. I'f you just want to bash TO, just do it. No need to make stuff up.
I am not bashing TO since I have one of their products. I see it's such a big issue when this product is on sale for $650 so I know I would be upset if I spent that much and then have issues, especially after waiting x amount of months for it to arrive. And I don't have a pro so I wouldn't know the innards of the ram slot hence why I said what I said so I thought it was something that could be done.

NeoSeeD

Rugal's Thug
No, that's not what he's saying. He's talking about disabling the in-game hook, which is probably a good idea anyway.. You can't disable the ram slot.

Thanks for sharing. Not sure if I quite follow that. I believe that the System Mode and Region Setting get grayed out if you have a Unibios installed. Then the Backup Ram options are different. Mine are grayed out, and I don't have a "Yes" option for Backup Ram Save. Mine is currently set to "Continuous."

View attachment 74288
I wish that I had more information regarding this, but I'm just watching from the sidelines wondering if I should order one of these since they seem riddled with issues and little support for the price. I'd suggest replying with this pic in the T.O. discord to see what other owners reply with.