Neo-Geo AES problems part 2

Silky Johnson

Zero's Tailor
I'm repeating this thread since i've got only 1 answer and it wasn't enough to help me, so i'm posting again, now with some pictures to see if anyone could give me some advice on how to fix this problem. I can hear sound perfectly, but the graphics are messed up, i can see only some layers. I've cleaned the board, the cartridge and the console's cartridge contacts, wiggled the cartridge... and it still remains the same. Any clues?

Thanks

mainboard:

neo_inside.jpg

The main SNK logo is missing here:

neo3.jpg

Where are the fighters???:

neo2.jpg

Main title is really weird here, not even the kof logo appears...:

neo1.jpg

Any clues? :\

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
If there is no color, I replaced the 3.57mhz crystal and I got color. Thats 1 step for you.

EddyIori

New Challenger
look closer

Well, assuming that your console connector and the game cartridge are perfectly clean this can be a broken trace from the LSPC chip. I have repaired one sometime ago with the same grafics problem. Try looking closely to the board on both sides. See if there is any corrosion under any of the chips. BTW, have you put in another game to see if it works?

Silky Johnson

Zero's Tailor
I don't know which one of those is the LSPC chip, could you help me? (i'm a noob @ neo-geo components ^^')

Yes, i have tried several games, like Fatal Fury 2, Art of Fighting, Ghost pilots... they all behave like that, missing graphics. Hope this can be fixed :\

Btw, the image is displayed in black and white, because the tv is only 50hertz and the neo-geo is ntsc 60hz :oh_no:

Last edited:

Urbain03

Quiz Detective
Or it could be something making a short-circuit between 2 contacts on the board.

It happened to me, one day i opened my AES to do some work on it. When I hooked it to play, the sound was totally, totally scrambled.

I spent some time to clean everything, from the motherboard, to the slot, to the carts, and nothing seemed to correct the problem.

Than i took the motherboard out of the case and i realized that a tiny, tiny bit of wire was making a short-contact between 2 solderings, underneath the cartdrige slot on the back of the board. I simply removed it and everything worked again.

So be sure to double-check every corner of your board for little pieces of stuff that would make a short-circuit. Check into the cartridge slot as well. Maybe you can use some canned air to blow away the dirt in the slot.

Good luck !

Last edited:

Silky Johnson

Zero's Tailor
Humm, i will take the motherboard out of the case to see if on it's back is something wrong, i can't think of anything else. The cartridge slot is 100% clean and dirt free so it can't be that.

haven't inspected the back of the motherboard, so let's hope i can find the real problem, if it's a broken trace i need to know how it can be fixed, since i have no experience at this kind of things.

Thanks for all your help, guys :p

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
A broken trace can be repaired by simply soldering a piece of wire between the two points the trace went between.