Need to identify IC on 1st gen AES board.

Vigormortis

Armored Scrum Object
Last month, I purchased a broken AES, planning to gut it and use the case for my MV-1C. Before that though, I'd like to see if I can get it up and running. I'd feel bad about gutting an AES that could still be saved :P.

I noticed that an IC is missing from position Q2 in the bottom left hand side of the picture. My initial guess was that a 7805 voltage regulator goes there. However, I later learned that the wall wart for this version of the AES already outputs 5v, so now I'm not so sure. Can someone please take a peek at their 1st gen board and tell me what is supposed to be there?
t94ta2p.jpg

skinny503

NAM-75 Vet
you would be correct that that is where a voltage regulator would go. The give away is how its labeled. E would be the emitter, C is the collector, and B is the base. As for why its not in your board who knows. It could be another stepdown to maybe go from 5v to 3.3 or something

Vigormortis

Armored Scrum Object
Hmmm... I guess it's gotta be a 7805. I just found this thread about overclocking an AES, and 5v is tapped from the output of the mystery regulator. I guess the older AES had to use such a low voltage wall wart cuz there's no heatsink on the regulator at all :p .

Last edited:

ApolloBoy

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Hmmm... I guess it's gotta be a 7805. I just found this thread about overlocking an AES, and 5v is tapped from the output of the mystery regulator. I guess the older AES had to use such a low voltage wall wart cuz there's no heatsink on the regulator at all :p .
That's a 5V board, don't put a 7805 there. Older AES boards like that use a regulated PSU, which is why the PSU already outputs 5V.

Vigormortis

Armored Scrum Object
I guess it's back to trying to figure out what goes there then. The board pictured in the AES overclocking tutorial is identical to mine, and there is definitely some sort of regulator sitting in that position.

ApolloBoy

Edo Express Delivery Guy
I guess it's back to trying to figure out what goes there then. The board pictured in the AES overclocking tutorial is identical to mine, and there is definitely some sort of regulator sitting in that position.
It's a 2SB1185 transistor.

Vigormortis

Armored Scrum Object
Awesome, thanks a lot for finding out for me :D.
I just ordered a NTE2674, which should be a drop-in equivalent for the 2SB1185. By next week, I shall know if I have an AES or a shell for my MVS :P