Need tech project parts advice (Mounting a circuit board with no screws)

Billkwando

OG OG,
20 Year Member
I'm building a custom Virtual On twin stick, using a madcatz 360 retro arcade stick, and a pair of NES Quick Shot joysticks, reminiscent of the cake pan twin sticks (as appropriate VO trigger sticks are very hard to find).

I'm set on using the original 360 guide button that's attached to the face of the PCB. It's a simple one piece design that attaches to the board with a screw and is completely self contained, with a tall plastic "tower" that is stationary, and a button mounted inside at the top. While the retro stick is a very popular choice for controller hacking, I've never seen anyone try to save the original guide button. They normally just replace it with a regular button.

I was able to defeat the various technical hurdles with getting the board to fit inside the case with the guide button flush in its hole(drilling the guide button hole, milling down the metal analog sticks, etc) but the thing I'm concerned about is how to mount the board inside the case so the guide button can be pushed, but in a way that doesn't force me to put haphazard screws through the case of my controller.

I actually cut 2 posts from the inside of the original controller case and screwed them back on the board for support, but I'm not sure if hot gluing to posts would be enough support, and I'd like to be able to take it part if needed.

Here's the pcb (w/ guide button removed):

360_diagram2.jpg

Are there some kind of adhesive pcb pinchers that maybe can be swiveled to remove the board? I'd need to be able to position the board at exactly the right height too.

How would you guys approach this?

Last edited:

fremen

Hardened Shock Trooper
Hi,

Hot glue is enough if your case is done in wood, if it is a metallic case you can stick some wood cubes and screwed the board on them.

Saludos

Billkwando

OG OG,
20 Year Member
Hi,

Hot glue is enough if your case is done in wood, if it is a metallic case you can stick some wood cubes and screwed the board on them.

Saludos

Ah, I should've mentioned, my case is ABS plastic.

I found these type things, but they require drilling holes in the PCB:

productLarge_1379.jpg

I was hoping for something that would pinch the edge of the pcb. The other problem is that it has to be able to hold up to the stress of pushing the guide button. I'd hate for those adhesive things to dry up and fly off. Also, there's the question of how to get them just the right height. It's about a half inch or so.

Last edited:

fremen

Hardened Shock Trooper
Hi,

In your particular case you can screw on the own pcb holes to maintain the stress on guide button if you prone the upper side of the pcb. You can use new generation glues that them are quick and clean.
Also you can use springs in the screws to controll the presure to the guide button if you stick some wood cubes.

Saludos

PD: I hope that you understand my explanations on bad English

Billkwando

OG OG,
20 Year Member
now is fixed!

I'm sorry, but lol, and that's why 1-word posts suck. You can write a 300 word treatise on how converting carts is bad, but you can't spare a complete sentence for me? :p

That would be like you saying "Hey man the handlebars on my bike are loose. What would be the best way to go about correcting that?", and me just responding "beer!"

mastamuzz

Eager Beaver
bro it's self explanatory just use epoxy to mold the pieces you need and sand a little bit on the ABS before applying the epoxy! hardened epoxy can be sanded and drilled or in it's liquid form can be used as glue!

and I never get any man love for my answers anyway! hahahahaha

and yeah that's why "bitches dont know bout my beer" it can fix anything!

Last edited:

Billkwando

OG OG,
20 Year Member
bro it's self explanatory just use epoxy to mold the pieces you need and sand a little bit on the ABS before applying the epoxy! hardened epoxy can be sanded and drilled or in it's liquid form can be used as glue!

and I never get any man love for my answers anyway! hahahahaha

and yeah that's why "bitches dont know bout my beer" it can fix anything!

ROFL

Still, I had no idea about the epoxy thing, thanks.

Billkwando

OG OG,
20 Year Member
you see no man love just a grim thanks damn!

hahahahahahaha I'm saving up to give you one giant robothanks that will crush your house like that time when Rick Hunter rolled up and crashed Minmei's crib.

On topic: I should point out that I have my PCB perfectly seated when the controller is lying on its face, so I just need a reliable way to affix it there.....so it's no longer about having it at the exact right height, it's more about just a way to stick it to the top of the controller so it doesn't eventually fall inside when you push Guide.

Last edited:

mastamuzz

Eager Beaver
On topic: I should point out that I have my PCB perfectly seated when the controller is lying on its face, so I just need a reliable way to affix it there.....so it's no longer about having it at the exact right height, it's more about just a way to stick it to the top of the controller so it doesn't eventually fall inside when you push Guide.

if you glue it you can't mingle with it anymore how about an invert housing from the PCB you can use epoxy on the PCB too and mold it to an exact fit with the original button housing on a mold made of clay! I know this sounds like a lot of work but is not much!

mastamuzz

Eager Beaver
hahahahahahaha I'm saving up to give you one giant robothanks that will crush your house like that time when Rick Hunter rolled up and crashed Minmei's crib.
hold on you have a varitech? I hope is one like Roy's and not a gay-ish kaki and red one!

damn I double posted i just wanted to steal the quote and edit! deeply sorry about it!

Billkwando

OG OG,
20 Year Member
hold on you have a varitech? I hope is one like Roy's and not a gay-ish kaki and red one!

damn I double posted i just wanted to steal the quote and edit! deeply sorry about it!

Glad to know my jokes don't go unappreciated. ;)

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
You don'/t mean epoxy like those little 2 sided tubes do you? Auto body filler (bondo ) seems like a much better way to go You would get enough that you could decide exactly how much hardener you wanted to use in it before you actually go for it too.

Edit: you could mount some sort of clip in the putty.

Packing foam instead?:scratch:

Last edited: